The Student Room Group

Is it fraud if I don’t put both parents on my student finance application?

I’m applying to uni for 2019 and it’s time to start sorting out my student finance.

My mum earns way less than my dad so if I were to put both of their incomes on my application I would receive a smaller loan. The issue is that my dad doesn’t pay for any of my schooling, he just about pays for anything. We aren’t estranged and my parents aren’t divorced; we all live under one roof as a two-parent family.

My question is: do I have to put down his income too as to avoid coming across as a fraudster even though he doesn’t contribute?
Reply 1
I thought so. Thanks anyway!
Hello,

If you’re under 25 you must supply your parental details to be income assessed, the only other ways to assess for more funding if you’re under 25 are:
If you are married/divorced before the start of the academic year.
If you have care of a child on the first day of the academic year.
If you are married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year.
If you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents (have no contact with them).
If you have self supported (earned enough income yourself) for 36 months before the start of your

Thanks, Lynsey.
Hello,

The alternatives I’ve provided are the only other options to be income assessed as independent.

Thanks, Lynsey.
That's sort of the point of it. Even if a parent isn't contributing to the education, they'll be contributing to household costs which theoretically frees up the other parents income to contribute to education. It's independent or parents - there is no middle ground.
I completely agree with you but it's the way SFE has always worked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending