The Student Room Group

Have any females been in a similar situation as me or know of anyone who has?

Hi guys

Just wanted to share something I have bottled up for 5 months. None of my close friends, parents and sibling are aware of this. Only one friend when I needed to speak to after this incident but took me two months to inform her.

Back in university I was sexually assaulted by this guy I did not know at all. Was walking down the steps until he appeared from no where, pinned me to the wall hitting my back on the hand rail. His hand was on my mouth trying to kiss me, and worst of all his other hand was under my top. I was literally frozen, called for help but no one was there. Managed to push him and run away, but since then never reported it to university or the police. I badly regret this, as he has got away with it.
Day and night it plays on my mind, why me, what did I do to deserve this? 😔
That sounds like a terrible incident and I would probably report that to somebody. If anything I’d tell a counselor or someone about this so that at the very least you can get some comfort about the situation.
I’m sorry to hear that this happened to you and I hope that something is done to either help you rest a little easier or cause him to receive some form of consequence for his careless and aggressive nature.

If you need to talk, I’ll offer my time to see if I can at least help your mind rest a little more easy about this. However, I still recommend informing someone of what happened. If someone like him is still out there, he could very well be doing something similar to this or worse to another girl. And even if not, whose to say he won’t? It would be for the best if an authority is told so that what you went through doesn’t take place again
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

Just wanted to share something I have bottled up for 5 months. None of my close friends, parents and sibling are aware of this. Only one friend when I needed to speak to after this incident but took me two months to inform her.

Back in university I was sexually assaulted by this guy I did not know at all. Was walking down the steps until he appeared from no where, pinned me to the wall hitting my back on the hand rail. His hand was on my mouth trying to kiss me, and worst of all his other hand was under my top. I was literally frozen, called for help but no one was there. Managed to push him and run away, but since then never reported it to university or the police. I badly regret this, as he has got away with it.

I completely agree with @Hmmmmmmm? (wow your username is super hard to type out!) in that you must tell someone - just in case. Haven't been in a similar situation myself but 1 in 5 women in the UK experience sexual assault - you're not alone when you're walking in the dark <3
Sorry about that 😅
I honestly created my username with the intention of not being on this site very often. I could change it, but it’s just something I’m so used to using that I decided to stick with it.
Original post by yzanne
I completely agree with @Hmmmmmmm? (wow your username is super hard to type out!) in that you must tell someone - just in case. Haven't been in a similar situation myself but 1 in 5 women in the UK experience sexual assault - you're not alone when you're walking in the dark <3
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your response. I just don't know what to do, every time I think of it, I feel so ashamed. There is no cctv camera for me to even report it. 😔 I realised his religion and student ID for instance which department he is in 5 months later, but just never had the guts to do anything about it. If I do think of reporting it, I panic for some odd reason, yet I know he could be doing this to other girls.
I may actually turn to counselling as this is on my mind daily.
Original post by Hmmmmmmm?
That sounds like a terrible incident and I would probably report that to somebody. If anything I’d tell a counselor or someone about this so that at the very least you can get some comfort about the situation.
I’m sorry to hear that this happened to you and I hope that something is done to either help you rest a little easier or cause him to receive some form of consequence for his careless and aggressive nature.

If you need to talk, I’ll offer my time to see if I can at least help your mind rest a little more easy about this. However, I still recommend informing someone of what happened. If someone like him is still out there, he could very well be doing something similar to this or worse to another girl. And even if not, whose to say he won’t? It would be for the best if an authority is told so that what you went through doesn’t take place again
Reply 5
Thank you for responding. I am planning to speak to a counselor though am not sure I even have the courage for this.
I did not realise that many women are actually experienced sexual assault.
Original post by yzanne
Reply 6
Hi guys

I recommend you learn self-defense and never trust anyone around you, especially when you're alone.
You need to tell someone, as it shall help you to get through the incident, and also help to improve your own trust and confidence.
Thank you for responding. I am planning to speak to a counselor though am not sure I even have the courage for this.
I did not realise that many women are actually experienced sexual assault.

Yep, unfortunately it's way more common than it should be - in fact, only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence report to the police - so, these statistics also only the number of recorded cases that people have spoken up about. That's why it's super important to try and push yourself to tell someone about it and bring awareness. :smile:
It’s okay to still feel a bit afraid. What happened to you was scary. But you can find the courage to talk to someone who will help. I have faith in you, so when the time comes, just tell yourself to do it.
Good luck
Thank you so much for your response. I just don't know what to do, every time I think of it, I feel so ashamed. There is no cctv camera for me to even report it. 😔 I realised his religion and student ID for instance which department he is in 5 months later, but just never had the guts to do anything about it. If I do think of reporting it, I panic for some odd reason, yet I know he could be doing this to other girls.
Original post by CaCoon
I recommend you learn self-defense and never trust anyone around you, especially when you're alone.

I would have thought university was a safe place, and yes my dad always wanted to me learn life skills which will keep me away from such incidents. I look back thinking I wish I did earlier.
Original post by Cheesybread
You need to tell someone, as it shall help you to get through the incident, and also help to improve your own trust and confidence.

My confidence and trust is so bad, my parents and friends have noticed the change in me. I have been thinking now is the best time to open up to someone.
Original post by yzanne
Yep, unfortunately it's way more common than it should be - in fact, only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence report to the police - so, these statistics also only the number of recorded cases that people have spoken up about. That's why it's super important to try and push yourself to tell someone about it and bring awareness. :smile:

Thank you for the encouragement and support

Shame is a common reaction to being sexually assaulted, but know that you have nothing to be ashamed of. In the eyes of any normal person, your attacker shamed only himself.
My confidence and trust is so bad, my parents and friends have noticed the change in me. I have been thinking now is the best time to open up to someone.

I agree with you
Original post by Hmmmmmmm?
It’s okay to still feel a bit afraid. What happened to you was scary. But you can find the courage to talk to someone who will help. I have faith in you, so when the time comes, just tell yourself to do it.
Good luck

Thank you so much. I feel a lot better since posting this, and built some courage to speak about it.
Thanks everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending