The Student Room Group

Childcare grant income threshold and award

I am starting teacher training in September and am in the process of applying for a childcare grant to help with the cost of childcare for my two children while I study. My wife will be the sole income for the household while I study and I have been told the upper income threshold to qualify for the grant is £28,900; my wife earned just over £18,000 in the 2017-18 tax year the application asks for. Does this mean we qualify for the full 85% contribution to childcare costs or is it a sliding scale of different percentages according to how far below the threshold our household income is?
Original post by Joe Qaz
I am starting teacher training in September and am in the process of applying for a childcare grant to help with the cost of childcare for my two children while I study. My wife will be the sole income for the household while I study and I have been told the upper income threshold to qualify for the grant is £28,900; my wife earned just over £18,000 in the 2017-18 tax year the application asks for. Does this mean we qualify for the full 85% contribution to childcare costs or is it a sliding scale of different percentages according to how far below the threshold our household income is?

Hi there,

The upper threshold for applying for Childcare is £26,212.04. If you wives income is less than this amount in the 2017/18 tax year then you will be able to apply for help towards childcare. We will pay 85% of the weekly costs no matter how much you are entitled to based on the household income.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 2
Hi Erin,Thanks for getting back to me.Does that mean that if we qualify for the childcare grant because of my wife’s income we will get 85% contribution per week? Is there any way it would be less than 85% because of certain factors?ThanksJoe
Original post by Joe Qaz
Hi Erin,Thanks for getting back to me.Does that mean that if we qualify for the childcare grant because of my wife’s income we will get 85% contribution per week? Is there any way it would be less than 85% because of certain factors?ThanksJoe

Hi Joe,

There shouldn't be any factors to getting less than the 85% of the costs, once we have the income details our assessment team will be able to review this and see exactly what childcare amount you are eligible for.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 4
Hi,

I understand it’s paid as 85% of childcare costs or the maximum amounts indicated, whichever is less. The reason I mention 85% is this applies to our childcare costs, it being the lower amount of the two. I assume this is what you mean when you say assessing which ‘amount’ we are eligible for, though I’m not sure how they decide this without knowing our childcare costs as these are not part of the application evidence. From what you’ve said and the application itself I don’t see any obvious reason we won’t be awarded the childcare grant, which is good news.

Thanks
Joe
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi Joe,

There shouldn't be any factors to getting less than the 85% of the costs, once we have the income details our assessment team will be able to review this and see exactly what childcare amount you are eligible for.

Thanks, Erin
Original post by Joe Qaz
Hi,

I understand it’s paid as 85% of childcare costs or the maximum amounts indicated, whichever is less. The reason I mention 85% is this applies to our childcare costs, it being the lower amount of the two. I assume this is what you mean when you say assessing which ‘amount’ we are eligible for, though I’m not sure how they decide this without knowing our childcare costs as these are not part of the application evidence. From what you’ve said and the application itself I don’t see any obvious reason we won’t be awarded the childcare grant, which is good news.

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe,

You are asked to declare your estimates initially and this will be checked over the three childcare periods since we will be invoiced for your payments for each period. We're unable to confirm your award, there are multiple factors that are taken into account and the assessor will perform the calculations for your grants once you've applied.

Regards,
Nihad
Sorry to be the barer of bad news, mine just got refused, as there is a cap 11k - 14k in earnings over that you get nothing.They are not forthcoming with the info, 26k and living cost adjustments don’t come into it any more.
Hi can you say how many children you were claiming for and what your household income is as im worried we might not get any, my household income is 17000, with two children.
Reply 8
Original post by Jodie139310
Hi can you say how many children you were claiming for and what your household income is as im worried we might not get any, my household income is 17000, with two children.

Hi,
We got awarded just over £6k on the basis of two children and my wife's earnings of around £19k in the 2017-18 tax year. Apparently it's a sliding scale according to partner's earnings in that tax year from roughly £11k up to roughly £26k, so you'll get more the less they earned.
Once you get it, bear in mind the funds only become available to pay your childcare provider on the first day of your course and you lose access to the funds on the last day of your course, so plan out payments carefully. Childcare providers must invoice weekly and have these approved by you, so if they're used to being paid monthly they'll need to get used to this schedule.
Joe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending