The Student Room Group

Will the GP prescribe me anything for self harm scars?

They're 2-3 years old so they're definitely permanent. They're completely white and slightly risen. Will the GP prescribe me something prescription-strength or will nothing help me because they're too old and permanent? Or will they refuse to prescribe me anything because they're self inflicted so it's my own fault?
Reply 1
They will suggest a cream for sure and they could prescribe a cream since a lot of scar removal creams have chemicals that can't be sold without doctors approval.... self inflicted doesn't matter, the fact its a cosmetic issue does but I think the cosmetic restriction only applies to surgeries so you'll be good
there are no creams that will get rid of scars
Reply 3
You can use bio oil to reduce scars but there is no ridding of them
Reply 4
Original post by YasudaSayo
They're 2-3 years old so they're definitely permanent. They're completely white and slightly risen. Will the GP prescribe me something prescription-strength or will nothing help me because they're too old and permanent? Or will they refuse to prescribe me anything because they're self inflicted so it's my own fault?

Certainly go to your doctor. There are also creams and gels available at pharmacists that can help with scarring and moisturising skin. It's a case of finding what works for you, and giving it time to see what it does.

There are also types of make-up that you can use to help cover the scars, and plenty of online tutorials about how to apply it. A quick search on Google will throw up loads of possibilities.

Quick Reply

Latest