The Student Room Group

Daughter got an email today about Sample check - Evidence request

regarding receiving the higher level of maintenance due to living away from home, now the email states that she should email [email protected] and send copies of tenancy agreement and proof of payments from her bank account showing sort code and acct number.
scam or legit and how to prove its legit , i have told her to cross ref the phone numbers as i don't know what they are...

i also see a few similar posts on here
Original post by gdf68
regarding receiving the higher level of maintenance due to living away from home, now the email states that she should email [email protected] and send copies of tenancy agreement and proof of payments from her bank account showing sort code and acct number.
scam or legit and how to prove its legit , i have told her to cross ref the phone numbers as i don't know what they are...

i also see a few similar posts on here

Hi there,

I can confirm this is a genuine request, we are doing a sample check requesting evidence from students who have indicated they will be living Elsewhere on their student finance application.

Thanks, Amy
Reply 2
Why would the SLC request personal bank information via email which is an unsecure network? Its no different than putting your details on a post card and sticking it in a post box. I've told my daughter not to comply with the request. If it is genuine, its a reckless way of obtaining information.
Original post by imac999
Why would the SLC request personal bank information via email which is an unsecure network? Its no different than putting your details on a post card and sticking it in a post box. I've told my daughter not to comply with the request. If it is genuine, its a reckless way of obtaining information.

Hi there,

There is another alternative documents she can choose to send in as evidence if she is not comfortable sending this> You can also blank out personal bank details as we are only looking to see accommodation/rent payment listed on the transactions.

Thanks, Amy
Reply 4
Me too, i have told her to wait for a letter to arrive at her address, or ring the main SLC phone number ask them and tell them to put her through direct to who ever is requesting it if genuine................
Reply 5
Hi I have a tenancy agreement but no bank transactions as I pay cash. I have receipts though.
Original post by EmH000
Hi I have a tenancy agreement but no bank transactions as I pay cash. I have receipts though.

Hi,

That's fine you can send us your agreement along with your receipts.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 7
My son has had the same email, he is living in a Unite Student flat. Why is Student Finance not accepting screen shots of his Unite Student account? The reference number of payments matches the Booking ID as shown on his tenancy agreement, but the payments were made by my husband, who is reluctant to send copies of his bank statement.
Original post by KTKook
My son has had the same email, he is living in a Unite Student flat. Why is Student Finance not accepting screen shots of his Unite Student account? The reference number of payments matches the Booking ID as shown on his tenancy agreement, but the payments were made by my husband, who is reluctant to send copies of his bank statement.

Hi KTKook, if the evidence has not been accepted and your son is struggling to provide other evidence then he can reply to the email or call 0300 100 0081 and explain his circumstances then the sample check team will help to see if other evidence can be accepted.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending