The Student Room Group

I want to take off my hijab

I finally told my mom about taking my hijab after 4 years of waiting

I told my mom but her answer was "I would never let you take it off" when i heard it i went to the bathroom and started crying because it was one of my biggest wish

A few months later i told her why i want to take off my hijab but she said that it's haram.
I don't feel ready to wear a hijab now i want to take it off and wear it again when I'm ready

Did i wear the scarf because of the religion? No

I was too young and didn't know anything about why people wear a hijab i was just jealous because all the girls in my class woor the hijab and i was the only girl that didn't wear it

I was only 11 years old when i started now i feel like a loser...

My question to you is "is it haram to take my hijab off?"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zeinab001

People of the Muslim faith will mostly tell you that you must wear it.

People not of the faith will mostly tell you that it is your decision.

Not much more to say, beyond mud slinging.
I’m gonna be honest with you darling. Girl to girl. Muslim to Muslim. No. It is absolutely not haram. Have you seen the tedx talk on YouTube about hijabs? The speaker was very powerful and made it evidently clear that women wore hijabs due to society back then but look how society has changed! It’s so much modern and different. It’s your choice. I don’t wear a hijab and I never will. But this is your own life. Your parents will get used to it
If you're not wearing it because of the religion then why would you care if it's haram or not?

The hijab doesn't mean a headscarf. It just means the minimum area you must cover with clothing in public. Men have hijab too, but women need to cover up more. You taking off your headscarf, from an Islamic perspective, is the same as exposing a part of yourself.
It’s your choice if you want wear it or take it off. Your mum is in the wrong for forcing you. Whether or not taking off is haram is debatable, but i don’t see the point in wearing it if you’re forced into it
(edited 4 years ago)
"No compulsion in religion".
Many female followers of islam choose to wear hijab, other's choose not to wear it- it is a personal choice.
My best friend has never worn hijab nor have her mother or grandmothers.
Some other friends choose to wear the niqab, a head wrap or hoodie.

How old are you?
Children living with their parents are reliant on parental goodwill for accommodation, food and living expenses- so usually have to obey their parents rules while living in their house or risk being thrown out.
While adults have the total freedom to choose what they wear and how they practice their religion.
My mum doesn’t wear a hijab but I do but I chose to wear it
It’s so difficult sometimes because there’s times you wish u could just go out with your hair opened and styled or personally for me, I just feel ugly when I wear a scarf compared to when my hairs opened and styled but then when I’m distant from God it acts as a reminder for my obligation to be a Muslim
Tbh you shouldn’t be forced to wear it because that defeats the purpose of the hijab
I think prayer reading the Quran and ‘spiritual’ hijab is more important than the physical hijab
If you’re forced to wear it you’ll begin to hate it
So at the end of the day it’s your choice even if it’s hard to make the choice because of your mum not letting you take it off
Original post by londonmyst
"No compulsion in religion".
Many female followers of islam choose to wear hijab, other's choose not to wear it- it is a personal choice.
My best friend has never worn hijab nor have her mother or grandmothers.
Some other friends choose to wear the niqab, a head wrap or hoodie.

How old are you?
Children living with their parents are reliant on parental goodwill for accommodation, food and living expenses

You’d think the very people who conceived you would provide your accommodation, food etc on more than just goodwill 😂

At least till you’re 18, it should be a parental requirement.
It’s just hair. No one will care.
It's your decision and your decision alone. However, there will be consequences.

How old are you, might I ask? Realistically speaking, you should think about how your family will react, and if there's a chance you will be thrown and estranged. If that's the case, you may want to wait until you're an adult and independent. However if there's a chance you will not be independent anytime soon, make sure you have other family and friends who will be able to take you in if you get thrown out.

However if your father and siblings (if you have any) are likely to support you, then I suggest having a family meeting and seriously talking about it. Make sure to make them understand you are serious about taking it off, and how you only want to put it back on again if you find the urge to put it on again.

If you need anyone to speak to, you're very welcome to contact me.
watch this, kinda similar situation to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW6s-YObr9Q

I told my mom but her answer was "I would never let you take it off" when i heard it i went to the bathroom and started crying because it was one of my biggest wish

A few months later i told her why i want to take off my hijab but she said that it's haram.
I don't feel ready to wear a hijab now i want to take it off and wear it again when I'm ready

I was too young and didn't know anything about why people wear a hijab i was just jealous because all the girls in my class woor the hijab and i was the only girl that didn't wear it

It’s haram to not wear the hijab. But it’s also pretty pointless to wear it if you don’t really want to wear it since the whole point of doing it is that you wholeheartedly know it’s purpose and it’s meaning for you so you might as-well not. It’s like being forced to pray, if you don’t have the faith then it’s literally pointless.
Original post by CTLeafez
You’d think the very people who conceived you would provide your accommodation, food etc on more than just goodwill 😂

At least till you’re 18, it should be a parental requirement.

Alas not all parents are loving or brimming with goodwill.
My mother's family made her childhood a misery, terrorised her 24 hrs a day with constant rants about the devil/sin/hell and taught her that self harm was holy.
While my best friend's family have always provided her with constant affection, love, unconditional support and welcomed all her friends.
Takes all types.
I think that if you don't wear it for religious reasons, you can wear it for your personal choice. If you don't believe in God then you don't need to worry about what's haram or not - at the end of the day you just need to be a nice person. Does the hijab take that away from you?
Reply 14
Original post by studyrani
It's your decision and your decision alone. However, there will be consequences.

How old are you, might I ask? Realistically speaking, you should think about how your family will react, and if there's a chance you will be thrown and estranged. If that's the case, you may want to wait until you're an adult and independent. However if there's a chance you will not be independent anytime soon, make sure you have other family and friends who will be able to take you in if you get thrown out.

However if your father and siblings (if you have any) are likely to support you, then I suggest having a family meeting and seriously talking about it. Make sure to make them understand you are serious about taking it off, and how you only want to put it back on again if you find the urge to put it on again.

If you need anyone to speak to, you're very welcome to contact me.

I'm 14 years old now almost 15 and thank you so much for answering my question

I know of a few Muslim women who don’t wear hijabs, so it is not haram as far as I know. If you don’t feel prepared to wear it, that’s your choice. Your parents may not respect this, but there are so many different interpretations of faith, and what may not seem right to one Muslim is right to another. So, for many Muslims, it is not haram.
Original post by parkerxo
I know of a few Muslim women who don’t wear hijabs, so it is not haram as far as I know. If you don’t feel prepared to wear it, that’s your choice. Your parents may not respect this, but there are so many different interpretations of faith, and what may not seem right to one Muslim is right to another. So, for many Muslims, it is not haram.

Yes but isn't just the ones who aren't religious who don't wear it?

No, it's not haram at all. In fact, taking your hijab off is very, very halal, so I'd strongly encourage you to go for it :smile:
Original post by C.Goodyear

mate i wear a hijab and i’m possibly the worst muslim ever. don’t get it twisted. far from religious.
Original post by C.Goodyear

I’m not sure but I think people who are less religious or just don’t like it don’t wear it

Latest

Trending

Trending