The Student Room Group

Tuition funding inquiry

Hi, I just wanted to ask about student loan and tuition funding. I completed two years of university during my first degree then I switched to a different degree. Therefore, I only had 2 years of funding left and I so I self funded the first year of my new degree. However, at the end of the year I transferred again to a new course starting from first year. I know this is quite a lot of transfers and apologies for the long text.

In conclusion, I am planning to self fund the first year of my new course starting in September. I did not apply for a tuition fee loan this year as I knew I would not be entitled to it. But, I recently received an email stating that student finance calculated my tuition fee loan to be:

3 (your course length) + 1 (gift year) - 3 (years of study) = 1 (years of full funding left)

I am confused as only received 2 years of funding so shouldn't I be entitled for 2 more years of funding but it states I only have 1 year left. I was planning on applying for a tuition fee loan in my last 2 remaining years of study.

Can you please explain this to me?

Thank you for your time.
The calculation when you start a new course is based off previous years of study not previous funded years of study (even people who have studied outside the uk with no support at all have their previous years counted). By changing courses again you effectively reset the funding calculation from scratch - you have 3 years of previous study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending