The Student Room Group

Was I right to walk away from my friend (now ex friend)

(pls read before commenting)

Basically since moving to a new city for university I managed to make friends with a guy there, he seemed nice at first and we both like the same thing ( video games and anime) and we felt like two threads in the same stich.

Lately however he's been more and more clingy to me constantly asking why I dont message him first and why i'm not always around him. Now i made it clear to him multiple times that I am busy with uni work and I have other personal things going on in my life and that if I don't have anything to talk to him about then i'm not going to message him to say hi(even though I told him if he needed to talk to me about any issues he has I will always be available for him).

Today was when I just snapped on him because I was in a bad mood before he ranted at me as to why I didn't message him first when I was seen online (messenger) a few minutes ago. I explained to him how I was talking to a friend about uni work and how I was still working on my course but he didn't believe me. He then went out of his way to tell me that he had messeged some people from my home town (since he had my facebook and knew everyone i knew from my home town) and he said something about how he's been talking about me behind his back to my old friends about how much of a "bad friend" I am which pissed me off so I blocked him on all my social media . Am I in the wrong for this ?

TLDR: Guy i've known for a month became progressively clingy to me and would complain about how I would never message him first even if i was busy resulted in digging through my facebook and talking badly about me behind my back to some old friends for being a "bad friend"
Original post by Anonymous

Basically since moving to a new city for university I managed to make friends with a guy there, he seemed nice at first and we both like the same thing ( video games and anime) and we felt like two threads in the same stich.

Lately however he's been more and more clingy to me constantly asking why I dont message him first and why i'm not always around him. Now i made it clear to him multiple times that I am busy with uni work and I have other personal things going on in my life and that if I don't have anything to talk to him about then i'm not going to message him to say hi(even though I told him if he needed to talk to me about any issues he has I will always be available for him).

Today was when I just snapped on him because I was in a bad mood before he ranted at me as to why I didn't message him first when I was seen online (messenger) a few minutes ago. I explained to him how I was talking to a friend about uni work and how I was still working on my course but he didn't believe me. He then went out of his way to tell me that he had messeged some people from my home town (since he had my facebook and knew everyone i knew from my home town) and he said something about how he's been talking about me behind his back to my old friends about how much of a "bad friend" I am which pissed me off so I blocked him on all my social media . Am I in the wrong for this ?

TLDR: Guy i've known for a month became progressively clingy to me and would complain about how I would never message him first even if i was busy resulted in digging through my facebook and talking badly about me behind my back to some old friends for being a "bad friend"

Jesus Christ this guy sounds like a total incel

You are 100% in the right, I recommend you tell your other friends/family about his behaviour to save yourself future trouble.

Also check out YouTube videos on the R/incel scene you’ll probably find some similar scenarios on there
He seems like a potential bunny boiler or whatever the friendship equivalent would be. Does he have autism or something? Messaging your friends was a very odd thing to do.
These types of people are the definition of ✨annoying✨ And ✨clingy✨ So yes,you were right to walk away from him,especially when he talked about you behind your back.
Really ? You’re that busy that u don’t have time to say hey or check how he is, u could at least do it once a week or something like that. I’m extremely busy but I still make time for my bf and my friends. Learn how to manage your time. U still have to have a social life. Maybe he’s lonely. Yeah he’s seen u online so u weren’t busy and he probably thinks well she doesn’t want to talk to me. Regardless u shouldn’t have snapped at him for being in a bad mood that’s not his fault. Be mature about it. He doesn’t have the right to ask u who u were talking to etc but he can be mad if you’re saying you’re busy but then you’re talking to others if you get me. Maybe go on to your notifications and turn of your activity so he doesn’t know when you’re online so it stops problems. He shouldn’t have talked bad about u but I think there is just miscommunication and it could have been handled better. Some friends are clingy and u aren’t! U need to meet in the middle. I’m not being mean to u or anything but I don’t think it’s worth losing a friendship over. They seem like they care about u a lot and it hurt that u distanced yourself.

Yes, he sounds like a pain in the arse.
Yes, you could message occasionally just to say hi how are you, but he sounds as if he is being unnecessarily clingy/possessive. And there was no need to go talking about you to others.
I'd let your friends etc know what's been going on, just so they know for if anything else happens. You were right to ditch him.
Reply 6
Original post by Blueclueless
Jesus Christ this guy sounds like a total incel

You are 100% in the right, I recommend you tell your other friends/family about his behaviour to save yourself future trouble.

Also check out YouTube videos on the R/incel scene you’ll probably find some similar scenarios on there

you might be right , and ive actually checked some of those some stories out before , its pretty wild stuff
Reply 7
Really ? You’re that busy that u don’t have time to say hey or check how he is, u could at least do it once a week or something like that. I’m extremely busy but I still make time for my bf and my friends. Learn how to manage your time. U still have to have a social life. Maybe he’s lonely. Yeah he’s seen u online so u weren’t busy and he probably thinks well she doesn’t want to talk to me. Regardless u shouldn’t have snapped at him for being in a bad mood that’s not his fault. Be mature about it. He doesn’t have the right to ask u who u were talking to etc but he can be mad if you’re saying you’re busy but then you’re talking to others if you get me. Maybe go on to your notifications and turn of your activity so he doesn’t know when you’re online so it stops problems. He shouldn’t have talked bad about u but I think there is just miscommunication and it could have been handled better. Some friends are clingy and u aren’t! U need to meet in the middle. I’m not being mean to u or anything but I don’t think it’s worth losing a friendship over. They seem like they care about u a lot and it hurt that u distanced yourself.

yeh i get where your coming from and maybe i was a little snappy for no reason. I was just kind of stressed out from everything going on atm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending