The Student Room Group

Child Care Grant and universal credit

Hey, I really need some advice. I’m currently working and receiving the child care element of universal credit. However I’m starting university in September and will no longer be entitled to the UC childcare so will need a child care grant. But in order to get a child care grant I need to stop receiving the Uc childcare and have a statement proving this. The problem I have is Uc is paid in arrears so I won’t have a statement showing no childcare until 2 months later. Has anybody else had this problem? My nursery won’t hold the space without payment and I can’t afford to pay two months child care out my student finance while I wait for a child care grant to be accepted.

Tia
Original post by MUMMYM87
Hey, I really need some advice. I’m currently working and receiving the child care element of universal credit. However I’m starting university in September and will no longer be entitled to the UC childcare so will need a child care grant. But in order to get a child care grant I need to stop receiving the Uc childcare and have a statement proving this. The problem I have is Uc is paid in arrears so I won’t have a statement showing no childcare until 2 months later. Has anybody else had this problem? My nursery won’t hold the space without payment and I can’t afford to pay two months child care out my student finance while I wait for a child care grant to be accepted.

Tia

Hi there, can you confirm your household income and how many children you have, so we can determine if you will be eligible.

If you prefer to discuss this in private, please send us a message on Facebook or Twitter.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply, I have 2 children aged 1 and 2. Income is currently £11000 per year but in September I will just have my student finance and grants.
Original post by MUMMYM87
Thanks for your reply, I have 2 children aged 1 and 2. Income is currently £11000 per year but in September I will just have my student finance and grants.

If your household income is below £11,118 then you will receive the maximum childcare grant of £16,013.40.

We can't approve you for the childcare grant if you are receiving childcare from other sources or the childcare element of working tax credits.
As you already mentioned you are aware you need to send us a letter confirming your childcare funding with them has stopped.

I think it's a difficult query as there is no way around this. We will need to see proof you are not receiving childcare from other sources. It can take up to 6 weeks to be assessed for the childcare grant once you send us the evidence. The first payment wouldn't be until September so if you can do this before September then the funding should be ready in time for when your childcare starts.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending