The Student Room Group

Do you think that being ugly makes you life much harder?

Not in a self-pitying way but I have been made fun of my whole life because of my appearance. Now that I am older I kind of wouldn't want to repeat it all especially the school years. I have something wrong with my eye and wear glasses I kind of think if I was a bit taller and better looking I would have a lot more friends and be much more confident and happier.
And the fact that people are just so judmental about other people and their looks without knowing them.
Naahh
I don't get unwanted attention from dodgy people
I can live a niceee, quiet life:u:
Well, I mean it could but it really depends on circumstances because there are plenty of not conventionally attractive people who live happy lives and are in relationships. I'd call myself a decent looking person but life isn't all sunshine and roses because of my sexuality, so we all have our struggles
Depends who you are. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Reply 5
Original post by LeafMeAlonee
Naahh
I don't get unwanted attention from dodgy people
I can live a niceee, quiet life:u:

yeah I want to be average so people aren't like ew your ugly but I also don't want to be harassed by boys, so I just want to blend in
Sometimes.
It depends on the specifics of physical appearance, type of first impressions looks provide, personal mindset & abilities and how most people react.
Very good looking people can be magnets for envy, pests and all manner of predatory creeps.
Reply 7
Well it doesn't exactly make it easier.
I think there’s such a thing as pretty people privilege. There was a whole thing on Tiktok where women talked about the different ways men would treat them based on things like hair color or weight gain when it came to everything from being hit on at a bar to having someone open the door for them at a gas station.
A lot of people will judge you for the superficial qualities you have, but I think having a good personality is 100x better than just having an attractive face. Someone with looks can become a model or get another superficial career, but someone that’s smart can do so much more.
On another note, glasses aren’t so bad. Maybe try to find a pair that you think is more stylish if you don’t like yours.
I really don’t get why some people think the better you look the better you get treated, cos it doesn’t work like that at all.

I’ve been on both sides of this. When I was at school I was really awkward and made no effort with my appearance. My glasses didn’t suit me, my eyebrows were a mess. I looked tired all the time, my hairstyle sucked, I had a face like a slapped arse and my skin was awful. I was bullied unless I made a effort with my appearance. Whenever I looked better people would call me pretty.

Now nearly 6 years later, I’m not awkward anymore and I wear makeup etc. Sorted my skin out. those same lads who bullied me at school are swiping right on me. I have more than 2000 likes on dating apps. Total strangers call me beautiful in the real world, male friends fancy me. I’ve been told countless times I’m pretty, beautiful, stunning, etc. Been told I can have any man I want.

Being good looking is nice, and I definitely don’t wish I was ugly! But it definitely doesn’t mean you get treated any better. Men treat me like a piece of meat, I’m messaged constantly, pestered for nudes, get unwanted attention. It even makes dating harder on apps cos you get all the super shallow “how have you never had a relationship? Is there something wrong with you?” “A virgin doesn’t look as good as you” and the usual catfish accusations “are you real? I think you’re a fake profile” also I have so many matches that I lose track who I’m talking to. I’m never short of opportunity but that makes things harder. As for women, they hate me. I can’t maintain a friendship with a female cos they are jealous of me. Sometimes I can’t even start a friendship with one cos of the same reason. They judge me before even getting to know me cos of my looks alone. I long for a female friend but it’s just not possible cos of the way I look.

I’m not a confident person at all cos of my past, and I carry myself like a ugly looking person. But I am good looking, even if I don’t think so myself. My life is very hard cos of this. To anyone who read this, Don’t wish to be better looking than you are. Just be happy with what you have, cos when you’re ugly at least you won’t be treated like me.
Original post by Anonymous
I really don’t get why some people think the better you look the better you get treated, cos it doesn’t work like that at all.

I’ve been on both sides of this. When I was at school I was really awkward and made no effort with my appearance. My glasses didn’t suit me, my eyebrows were a mess. I looked tired all the time, my hairstyle sucked, I had a face like a slapped arse and my skin was awful. I was bullied unless I made a effort with my appearance. Whenever I looked better people would call me pretty.

Now nearly 6 years later, I’m not awkward anymore and I wear makeup etc. Sorted my skin out. those same lads who bullied me at school are swiping right on me. I have more than 2000 likes on dating apps. Total strangers call me beautiful in the real world, male friends fancy me. I’ve been told countless times I’m pretty, beautiful, stunning, etc. Been told I can have any man I want.

Being good looking is nice, and I definitely don’t wish I was ugly! But it definitely doesn’t mean you get treated any better. Men treat me like a piece of meat, I’m messaged constantly, pestered for nudes, get unwanted attention. It even makes dating harder on apps cos you get all the super shallow “how have you never had a relationship? Is there something wrong with you?” “A virgin doesn’t look as good as you” and the usual catfish accusations “are you real? I think you’re a fake profile” also I have so many matches that I lose track who I’m talking to. I’m never short of opportunity but that makes things harder. As for women, they hate me. I can’t maintain a friendship with a female cos they are jealous of me. Sometimes I can’t even start a friendship with one cos of the same reason. They judge me before even getting to know me cos of my looks alone. I long for a female friend but it’s just not possible cos of the way I look.

I’m not a confident person at all cos of my past, and I carry myself like a ugly looking person. But I am good looking, even if I don’t think so myself. My life is very hard cos of this. To anyone who read this, Don’t wish to be better looking than you are. Just be happy with what you have, cos when you’re ugly at least you won’t be treated like me.

I'm pretty sure most people would rather have 2000 matches on dating apps rather than zero.

I have no doubt that there are problems with being attractive (as you describe), but that seems much more preferable to me than being ugly and getting zero attention at all.
Yes.

I was beaten up and picked on at school because of it.
not really, thankfully haven't been bullied in any serious capacity since year 9

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending