The Student Room Group

Starting new course

Context: I'm currently in my second year of university, planning to leave and start a new course in the same university, just a different course at Year 1. I understand that the first year's tuition fee won't be funded, however I have compelling reasons for having to repeat Year 1 (mental health). I've already been in contact with lecturers, personal tutors, programme leaders from my course and the new course, money advice teams and more, and I've applied on UCAS for the new course, and have received an unconditional offer. I'm very overwhelmed with everything I have to do, so I don't know where to start.

Now my questions are; since I now have the offer for the first course starting in September 2022...
- When is the deadline to apply for Student Finance?
- How do I reapply for full-time Student Finance, since it says I'm already in a course.
- I want to apply for an extra year of tuition fees, when should I send this, and do I still get the maintenance loan if the extra year of tuition is denied?
- And finally, I need to reapply for a DSA for the new course, how do I do this and should I do this part last?
Original post by Bentspoon
Context: I'm currently in my second year of university, planning to leave and start a new course in the same university, just a different course at Year 1. I understand that the first year's tuition fee won't be funded, however I have compelling reasons for having to repeat Year 1 (mental health). I've already been in contact with lecturers, personal tutors, programme leaders from my course and the new course, money advice teams and more, and I've applied on UCAS for the new course, and have received an unconditional offer. I'm very overwhelmed with everything I have to do, so I don't know where to start.

Now my questions are; since I now have the offer for the first course starting in September 2022...
- When is the deadline to apply for Student Finance?
- How do I reapply for full-time Student Finance, since it says I'm already in a course.
- I want to apply for an extra year of tuition fees, when should I send this, and do I still get the maintenance loan if the extra year of tuition is denied?
- And finally, I need to reapply for a DSA for the new course, how do I do this and should I do this part last?

Hi there, apologies for the delay in responding to your questions.

I will answer all of your questions in order.

1. The deadline is 9 months after the start of the academic year. The application for the 22/23 academic year will launch early this year, before the end of March - you should apply as soon as the application launches. We will advise all applicants to apply by the summer (we will have a more official date once the application launches) to receive funding on time.

2. That depends, are you withdrawing from the first course or are you transferring into the new course?

3. You should apply as per question 1, yes you can still receive Maintenance Loan if you are not eligible for a tuition fee loan.

4. You can re apply once the application opens as per question 1.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending