The Student Room Group

needing help without parents knowing

hi i’m 13 nearly 14 and my mental health is really bad but i can’t tell my parents. idk about school councillors cuz they might tell
Healthcare professionals will not reveal information without your consent to others unless they believe you are a danger to yourself or others. It's a pretty major part of healthcare ethics. So you shouldn't necessarily worry about that!

I would recommend you see if you can speak with your GP (without your parents) about things. They would probably be the ideal professional to speak to in this situation, although I appreciate it can be difficult to arrange a meeting with the GP where you parents aren't sitting in with you at a younger age.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Healthcare professionals will not reveal information without your consent to others unless they believe you are a danger to yourself or others. It's a pretty major part of healthcare ethics. So you shouldn't necessarily worry about that!

I would recommend you see if you can speak with your GP (without your parents) about things. They would probably be the ideal professional to speak to in this situation, although I appreciate it can be difficult to arrange a meeting with the GP where you parents aren't sitting in with you at a younger age.

thank you! this helped. yeah i can’t go out by myself so i can’t , so i think i might try to speak with a councillor and tell them not to tell anyone :smile:
Original post by Hii123419
hi i’m 13 nearly 14 and my mental health is really bad but i can’t tell my parents. idk about school councillors cuz they might tell

I feel the same as you. It's really hard not getting the help i need but there's just no way i can speak to my parents :frown:
Reply 4
you can text 'shout' to 85258 for free support

but i rlly rlly would recommend speaking to a parent or trusted adult in the long run,, i'm not sure what your reasons are for not telling your parents but if it's safe to do so i promise it will help !! you don't even have to go into detail with them just make it clear that you need professional support and hopefully they are able to help you get that

in the meantime you could also speak to friends -- letting someone in is the main thing and the first step to getting better
Reply 5
Original post by starxdust
I feel the same as you. It's really hard not getting the help i need but there's just no way i can speak to my parents :frown:

if u have a school councillor, speak to them , i do t think they will tell anyone unless it’s a danger to u:smile:
thank you! this helped. yeah i can’t go out by myself so i can’t , so i think i might try to speak with a councillor and tell them not to tell anyone :smile:

You could see if you can arrange a telephone appointment with your GP - I think a lot of routine appointments are being done initially by telephone anyway still due to COVID. If you are able to you may want to explain to them you don't want to notify your parents of the appointment being made if it makes you feel more comfortable, although I imagine they wouldn't anyway.

Also you can always call childline or the samaritans, and childline have a web chat service as well :smile: I think both are 24/7 services too!
Reply 7
Original post by hrtpjm
you can text 'shout' to 85258 for free support

but i rlly rlly would recommend speaking to a parent or trusted adult in the long run,, i'm not sure what your reasons are for not telling your parents but if it's safe to do so i promise it will help !! you don't even have to go into detail with them just make it clear that you need professional support and hopefully they are able to help you get that

in the meantime you could also speak to friends -- letting someone in is the main thing and the first step to getting better

thanks! if i text shout to that number will they know it’s me or will it be anonymous? and how do they help , what do they do?
if u have a school councillor, speak to them , i do t think they will tell anyone unless it’s a danger to u:smile:

:cry2: i wish i could but my social anxiety wont let me. It's silly but i find it really hard to talk to people face-to-face
Reply 9
thanks! if i text shout to that number will they know it’s me or will it be anonymous? and how do they help , what do they do?

yes, it's completely anonymous unless you are an immediate danger to your own life or someone else's safety. they'll give you space to speak about your feelings and validate you, (but can't give you specific advice so be aware of that -- it's why i say it's far more helpful to receive proper therapy). they're trained to deescalate situations and help you to calm down in moments of crisis/anxiety/stress etc.
Reply 10
Original post by starxdust
:cry2: i wish i could but my social anxiety wont let me. It's silly but i find it really hard to talk to people face-to-face

i completely understand! i have social anxiety too and i’m scared to talk to the councillor but i’m gonna try since it’s just for the better for me 😁 i hope you can do it too! i wish u luck
Reply 11
i completely understand! i have social anxiety too and i’m scared to talk to the councillor but i’m gonna try since it’s just for the better for me 😁 i hope you can do it too! i wish u luck

i'm proud of you for this !! i hope they're helpful <3
Reply 12
Original post by hrtpjm
i'm proud of you for this !! i hope they're helpful <3

thank you for being proud of me , i luv hearing words like that :smile:<3
Reply 13
thank you for being proud of me , i luv hearing words like that :smile:<3

you deserve to hear it <3 i know things are bad rn but you're honestly doing so well i promise
Reply 14
Original post by hrtpjm
you deserve to hear it <3 i know things are bad rn but you're honestly doing so well i promise

i went from nearly having a panic attack to being happy and like i deserve better , your an amazing person , thank u so much 🥲:smile:

thank you.
i wish you all the best too hopefully you feel better once you talk to the councillor :smile:
Reply 16
i went from nearly having a panic attack to being happy and like i deserve better , your an amazing person , thank u so much 🥲:smile:

dm me if you ever need to chat <3
Reply 17
Original post by hrtpjm
dm me if you ever need to chat <3

suree that would be great! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest