The Student Room Group

Study in Pavia

Will anyone be studying abroad in Pavia this September? I recently got accepted onto their course on the Ancient Mediterranean World (History Archaeology and Art). Would be nice to find someone else studying there, since the process all seems a bit daunting lol. :smile:
Don't know anyone studying there now, but i'm sure you'll have fun! Pavia is a small lovely city, full of students with a great historic centre. There's lots of nightlife, it's not too expensive and the food is great. Seaside in Liguria is only just over 1 hr away by train, as is Milan. The bureaucracy will be "complicated" at the beginning- for Italians too- but you'll get used to it, like everyone else. Just be prepared to be proactive in getting stuff done as very little will be handed on a plate by the institution.
It'll be a great experience though, enjoy and GL! (and use the summer to improve your Italian, it'll come in useful!)
Original post by Anonymous
Don't know anyone studying there now, but i'm sure you'll have fun! Pavia is a small lovely city, full of students with a great historic centre. There's lots of nightlife, it's not too expensive and the food is great. Seaside in Liguria is only just over 1 hr away by train, as is Milan. The bureaucracy will be "complicated" at the beginning- for Italians too- but you'll get used to it, like everyone else. Just be prepared to be proactive in getting stuff done as very little will be handed on a plate by the institution.
It'll be a great experience though, enjoy and GL! (and use the summer to improve your Italian, it'll come in useful!)

Hello, thank you so much for the reply - and the heads up! I sort of got that impression LOL.

That’s all lovely to hear. I have been learning Italian for a little while but am looking forward to taking it more seriously this summer!

I hope you don’t mind me asking: I need to do some more research, but how did you go about accommodation? I’ve heard that entry to the colleges are not guaranteed, so I was leaning maybe more towards student housing in the city (I have saved up maintenance loan and have secured a summer job to afford the years’ accommodation). Also, I understand that with the correct documents and legalisation, you can get a reduced tuition fee. I’m from a low income household, so I am willing to go through the process, but I was wondering if you had any experience with this :smile:
Original post by gabrielle_sm
Hello, thank you so much for the reply - and the heads up! I sort of got that impression LOL.

That’s all lovely to hear. I have been learning Italian for a little while but am looking forward to taking it more seriously this summer!

I hope you don’t mind me asking: I need to do some more research, but how did you go about accommodation? I’ve heard that entry to the colleges are not guaranteed, so I was leaning maybe more towards student housing in the city (I have saved up maintenance loan and have secured a summer job to afford the years’ accommodation). Also, I understand that with the correct documents and legalisation, you can get a reduced tuition fee. I’m from a low income household, so I am willing to go through the process, but I was wondering if you had any experience with this :smile:

Sorry, can't help you on the fees, though I know in Italy you are means-tested and they can get pretty low. I don't have any direct experience with the University, I just know the area well because my parents are originally from there, I used to visit regularly and for entire summers with them, and I know several people who did their undergrad in Pavia and enjoyed it. I know the Italian consulate in London has a website part for students, but that's about it.
As far as accomodation is concerned, all the Italians I know went the private route, though as a foreigner if you can get a college, it will certainly help take some stress out, especially for the first year. But as I said, Pavia is very much a student town, so I'm sure there will be plenty of options available. And definetely work on your Italian (and don't be shy speaking it when over there)- it will make the experience much more enjoyable! Ciao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending