The Student Room Group

What to do about my job situation?

So iv been tryna get a job for a while now.
Iv had interviews but just get rejected.
Iv got 2 more interviews one tommorow for waitressing at soho house white city and the other on Monday is for a carer job for an agency.
The thing is iv had other job interviews for these kinds of jobs recently but got rejected so make me not wanna go for it.
Also my parents telling me not to go for them saying that I can't do them and I feel like they just wanna say told u so when I don;'t get the job which puts me off going to.
They say that they just want me to get any job as long as they get their money but whenever I tell them Iv got a job interview for a job which they don't think is good enough they just get annoyed and try to put me off it.
Iv had jobs before but not for long so now they think that I can't keep a job.
I'v got a degree in computer science which is what I should be doing but can't get a job in it so that y iv been going for these other jobs but can't get them either.
So what should I do?
Should I still go to these interviews even if don't think that I'll get them?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cherlloydfan1
So iv been tryna get a job for a while now.
Iv had interviews but just get rejected.
Iv got 2 more interviews one tommorow for waitressing at soho house white city and the other on Monday is for a carer job for an agency.
The thing is iv had other job interviews for these kinds of jobs recently but got rejected so make me not wanna go for it.
Also my parents telling me not to go for them saying that I can't do them and I feel like they just wanna say told u so when I don;'t get the job which puts me off going to.
They say that they just want me to get any job as long as they get their money but whenever I tell them Iv got a job interview for a job which they don't think is good enough they just get annoyed and try to put me off it.
Iv had jobs before but not for long so now they think that I can't keep a job.
I'v got a degree in computer science which is what I should be doing but can't get a job in it so that y iv been going for these other jobs but can't get them either.
So what should I do?
Should I still go to these interviews even if don't think that I'll get them?

Keep applying for jobs. Dont let your parents put you off. Apply for whatever jobs you want to apply for.
If you dont get the jobs you apply for, it may be worth asking them for feedback. At least then you know where you went wrong and can improve for the next job interview.
While you are still job searching it may be worth doing a bit of volunteering (for example in a charity shop or an animal shelter). It may not be related to the job you want to do but at least it gives you transferrable skills and a reference etc.
Keep going. I failed 17 consecutive job interviews, consistently getting very positive feedback and gelling well with the interview panel but just not being the top choice. Finally landed number 18 and thankfully it was also relevant to my degree. As soon as I got that one, I had other opportunities for better positions pop up in quick succession - and interviews got easier too because experience from that job made answering those "tell us about a time...", "what would you do if...", and "in your current role..." interview questions a breeze.

Apply for everything. Ask for feedback when you don't succeed and implement that in the next one. It'll eventually work out.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending