The Student Room Group

I have no friends...

Hello everyone, I am 24 years old and I started attending university two years ago. I relocated to another city to pursue my studies. I tend to be a shy person, which makes it challenging for me to form friendships. As of now, I don't have any friends. I am curious if anyone else is in the same situation. Do you also find it difficult to make friends? How do you manage it? Are you happy with your current situation? P
Please share your experiences, as it would help me feel less isolated.
Original post by realstudent19
Hello everyone, I am 24 years old and I started attending university two years ago. I relocated to another city to pursue my studies. I tend to be a shy person, which makes it challenging for me to form friendships. As of now, I don't have any friends. I am curious if anyone else is in the same situation. Do you also find it difficult to make friends? How do you manage it? Are you happy with your current situation? P

Honestly a tip i would give is chat to everyone around u in ur classes try n see if u hv a any common interests n use that to ur advantages if they're giving back the same energy as u then at the end of lesson ask if they wanna hang out w u.
Ur gonna have to talk to people. No way around it. But at the same time don't force something thats not there.
What interests do u have that u could have in common with others. But u are not isolated, there are other people in this situation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for your tips, do you know someone else in my situation?
Join different societies and put yourself into situations you're not used to. The more and more societies you join with interests you're intrigued by, the more people you'll get to know. You might end up finding like minded people!
Reply 5

Omg so real. I'm in the same situation with you, ngl I've been overthink and felt lonely. My advice for you is to talk to people, random strangers. Take it as a new challenge or experience to meet new people and make new friends. I do have a few friends to attend classes together but honestly, I still lowkey feel lonely and not really having that vibe or energy with them and that's okay. I believe that meeting new people or having a new close friends takes times. In the meantime, you just have to be patient and learn to be okay to be alone. Also, you are not isolated, trust me, I know that feeling and I believe there's lot more people out there is facing the same situation. Well, just stay strong and learn to develop more in your new environment. That's what I'm trying to do, I guess. Be positive and try not to focus on that point too much. I hope you have a wonderful day! 🙃
I'm in the same position right now I'm 22 years old first-year uni student and I have no close friends. The people I'm friends with we only hang out when there is an occasion birthdays and holidays etc. I'm used to having at least one friend who I see/talk to pretty much every day. Nowadays I can go for a couple of weeks without talking to anyone irl. I also moved out for uni and I live in a flat with 2 people but we don't talk in person at all only via text if there is something related to the communal space we share etc. So yh you're definitely not alone :smile:
Original post by Saturn-d
I'm in the same position right now I'm 22 years old first-year uni student and I have no close friends. The people I'm friends with we only hang out when there is an occasion birthdays and holidays etc. I'm used to having at least one friend who I see/talk to pretty much every day. Nowadays I can go for a couple of weeks without talking to anyone irl. I also moved out for uni and I live in a flat with 2 people but we don't talk in person at all only via text if there is something related to the communal space we share etc. So yh you're definitely not alone :smile:

Hey, I am sorry. why do you think you are struggling on making friends? you can also pm me if you want
Original post by xellng
Omg so real. I'm in the same situation with you, ngl I've been overthink and felt lonely. My advice for you is to talk to people, random strangers. Take it as a new challenge or experience to meet new people and make new friends. I do have a few friends to attend classes together but honestly, I still lowkey feel lonely and not really having that vibe or energy with them and that's okay. I believe that meeting new people or having a new close friends takes times. In the meantime, you just have to be patient and learn to be okay to be alone. Also, you are not isolated, trust me, I know that feeling and I believe there's lot more people out there is facing the same situation. Well, just stay strong and learn to develop more in your new environment. That's what I'm trying to do, I guess. Be positive and try not to focus on that point too much. I hope you have a wonderful day! 🙃

hi, thanks for sharing this. why do you think you are struggling on making friends?
Hey, I am sorry. why do you think you are struggling on making friends? you can also pm me if you want

Hey, Thank you for your reply, Tbh I haven’t asked myself this question before, since joining uni I pretty much just came to the conclusion that I'm definitely struggling to make friendly connections so, I'm about to realize something here as I'm answering your question.

I think the main reason why I'm struggling with making friends is the huge difference that I have not prepared for with the way friendships are made at uni. I feel like there are fewer opportunities where you can meet the same person over and over and form a bond slowly over time like in school or college. Because at uni you don't have to come to lectures or tutorials etc. That has been the main way I made friends before, in a classroom environment. I make friends very slowly and don't ask for people's socials from the first time we meet because I like to know the person in real life first a bit more before I give them access to me outside of the class.

I'm not saying that’s the right way to be and I'm coming to the realization that I should be more open, but it is the way I have been for as long as I can remember so reprogramming a different mindset will ofc take time. I always seek to improve so I'm sure I will eventually become more like my ideal self and make more friendships, its just a process one step at a time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending