The Student Room Group

Mother stopped to call me fat and then left

My mother just came in about five minutes ago, asking how studying was going and I was beginning to explain that it wasn't going too well and she interrupted me, shaking her head and then said: "Sorry, you're just so fat now, I can't listen anymore," and then she just left the room half way as I was speaking after interrupting me.

I-?? I don't know what to think or say? It just feels bad, I guess, I'm not overweight, just slightly chubby, and I have diagnosed anxiety and depression and I'm just so at a loss of what to think.
I'm sorry your mum is being so hurtful and inconsiderate. She may well think it's coming from a place of care or concern but all it's doing with that comment is being unnecessarily unkind or disrespectful. If you feel able, do try and stand up for yourself and let her know that's she's hurt you with her comment. Make it clear that it's a boundary and you ask her not to cross it again. Hopefully she'll realise it's affected you and respect the boundaries you've set.
Regardless, remember that, so long as you are comfortable in your body, and your weight isn't negatively affecting your physical health, then that's all that matters. As hard as I know it is, please please try not to take your mum's (or anyone else's) comments to heart. There's no weight you can be where you're not worth listening to or having a conversation with or being respected or being liked or loved.
Remember too that sometimes people say these things as a projection of their own insecurities, rather than anything wrong with you or directly related to you at all.

Try to keep your chin up and good luck with the studying :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending