The Student Room Group

So demotivated with University

I'm a second-year psychology student, and recently I've been feeling so low in regard to academic life. This has just been made worse with the recent announcement of the marking boycott starting on the 20th of April for an indefinite amount of time. I just feel worried about 3rd year and the likelihood of further disruption. I'm not one of those people who thinks I'm entitled to anything because there's a tuition fee, but I am just feeling so so demotivated in the current climate. Does anyone have any tips? Or just want to let me know how they're feeling about all this too :frown:( Thank you.
Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling this way! It can be frustrating when you are already stressed with work and then have to deal with postponed feedback and grades. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one feeling this way and I'm sure your university are aware of this.

If possible, I would recommend having a look out for any support being offered or to reach out to your student hub. You can even contact your lecturers/tutors and let them know how you are feeling - I'm sure they will be wanting to support you as much as possible, they don't want you to be struggling.

In my experience (I have had strikes throughout my time at university, on top of Covid-19!) it worked best for me to treat my assignments and uni like normal as much as possible. So, even though you know you won't get your marks back as quickly as usual, still aim to do them and hand them in as though you will - it kind of helps to act as though the disruption isn't happening.

Hope this helps somewhat and I really do suggest reaching out to your uni!

Abbie :smile:
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
This too will pass. Lecturers - like doctors, nurses, and rail workers - are striking for fairer pay so there is disruption everywhere. Yes assignments and exams may not be marked but the uni has dealt with industrial action in the past and will have a backup plan. Now if you are not enjoying the course that is a different matter.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Just focus on what you can control rather than what you cannot. As Mike says, this will come and go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending