The Student Room Group

I never talk about myself

I don't know why but I never feel totally comfortable with talking about myself with people I don't know so well, I always prefer to listen and learn about them. But I usually find that people don't reciprocate. I like it when people take an interest in me and I'm an open book when they do, but it doesn't really happen. Why could this be?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know why but I never feel totally comfortable with talking about myself with people I don't know so well, I always prefer to listen and learn about them. But I usually find that people don't reciprocate. I like it when people take an interest in me and I'm an open book when they do, but it doesn't really happen. Why could this be?

It's normal for you to not want to reveal much about yourself in the initial stage of a friendship especially on day 1 where you don't know the person, but sometimes you have to gain friends not just find them if that makes sense. You could maybe make a mental list of things you think are interesting about yourself that you can say when talking about yourself without getting too personal, that way the other person is engaged and you can still talk about yourself. For example: hobbies, favourite shows (this says alot about the kind of person you are without having to actually say it!), pop culture (bands, music genres, etc), favourite food, future goals, career and the list is endless. I hope this was helpful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending