The Student Room Group

Joining a gym.. Virgin Active?

Hi, I have decided to join a gym (Along with the thousands of others as a new years resolution!) After a bit of research, I am interested in Virgin Active as they look like they have really good facilities. The only thing is they don't put their prices online so does anyone know how much they charge? I know it will prob be quite expensive but I thought if I join a really nice gym it might inspire me to go more!!

If anyone has any advice on what gyms are good for students, please share!! Using my uni gym isn't really an option as my uni is too far to be lugging gym stuff and going when I don't have lectures.

Scroll to see replies

can u afford virgin active?
its like £60 a month
Lisaanne
Hi, I have decided to join a gym (Along with the thousands of others as a new years resolution!) After a bit of research, I am interested in Virgin Active as they look like they have really good facilities. The only thing is they don't put their prices online so does anyone know how much they charge? I know it will prob be quite expensive but I thought if I join a really nice gym it might inspire me to go more!!

If anyone has any advice on what gyms are good for students, please share!! Using my uni gym isn't really an option as my uni is too far to be lugging gym stuff and going when I don't have lectures.

Don't bother. Join your local independent gym. It'll have the right equipment, the people will be more knowledgeable and it'll be much cheaper.
Reply 3
Hi Lisanne

I have been a member of Virgin Active since September 2008, and I can assure you won't be disappointed. The facilities are great and the staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a reason why they don't put their prices on line. You would need to speak with a membership coordinator, who will work out a package for you. However, as a student I pay £57 per month. I am not sure if this price still applies due to the new year and all.
Reply 4
mullings1
Hi Lisanne

IThere is a reason why they don't put their prices on line. You would need to speak with a membership coordinator, who will work out a package for you. .

Their prices are so high that they have to wow you with their facilities and sweet talk you to death before they reveal the horrible truth of their sky high prices. Thats why they are not online.
Reply 5
It does seem quite expensive, I suppose I should start with the local council gym and see how I get on!! I just don't like the thought of seeing someone I went to school with there or something!
Holy :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:, sixty quid a month! I pay double that ... for the entire year ... and I have world class facilities ...
£60 a month for a student? I was going to join the Virgin active in leeds soon, thats a 1/4 of my wages gone, lol i dont think so now for some reason.
For mine, it's £45 as a student, £51 *normal* person lol. Totally, totally worth every penny!
Reply 9
I'm a student and mine is £28 a month for virgin active.
Lisaanne

No offence but I would put money on you chucking in your membership after 2 weeks like 90+% of other gym go-ers and wasting a hell of a lot of your money.

If you aren't already into a regular exercise routine (ie; working out 3+ times per week) forget about the membership for the time being. Get into a routine, a lot can be achieved just by HIIT, bodyweight exercises, etc, if after a few months you're still at it, THEN invest in a gym membership. You will be infinitely more likely to then go regularly and get your money's worth, but you'll also have the foundations to work harder and make most use of the available facilities.

Also, considering the current economic downturn there is even more reason to ride the recession as membership prices will fall as they become more desperate.

If you absolutely orgasmically must go to a gym, pay as you go for the time being.

Also £60 per month is an absolute rip-off and a waste of money (especially with the current recession). Most councils off swimming and gym facilities for a fraction of the cost. Do you really need 57 tennis and squash courts, an indoor dootball pitch, saunas, jacuzzis, paddling pools, complementary towels, etc. To get your money's worth you're going to need to be going several times per week, every week, if that isn't possible or unlikely because of work/school/boyfriends/etc then forget it.

You could even start investing in your own gym equipment if you're that way inclined. 3, 6 or 12 months x £60 is more than enough to invest in some decent training literature, some decent running shoes, some free weights, etc.
Reply 11
Smack
Holy :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:, sixty quid a month! I pay double that ... for the entire year ... and I have world class facilities ...

wow where do you go?
Reply 12
Speaking of gym chains, does anybody know what a student membership at Fitness First is?
Reply 13
teriaki
Speaking of gym chains, does anybody know what a student membership at Fitness First is?

It usually depends on the centre, but when I was a member I paid £38pm:smile:
Reply 14
mullings1
It usually depends on the centre, but when I was a member I paid £38pm:smile:

I am interested in the Manchester gym (also if somebody could give me a figure for what a membership at the Virgin active there costs).
38 pounds is much more than what I pay now though then again if its a really good gym (which my current one isn't on any scale), I am willing to pay a bit more.
Reply 15
teriaki
I am interested in the Manchester gym (also if somebody could give me a figure for what a membership at the Virgin active there costs).
38 pounds is much more than what I pay now though then again if its a really good gym (which my current one isn't on any scale), I am willing to pay a bit more.

Well since my membership ended with Fitness First I am now with Virgin Active which is far better, but at £57pm you get what you pay for.:smile:
Gaylei
wow where do you go?

University gym.
I got 6 months at Total Fitness for £150 studen membership (my local council sports centre closed for 2 years for refurbishment so my dad got me Total Fitness membership for my birthday so I could go the gym with him and mum when I was home) Sounds expensive at £25 per month but seeing as my council gym was £3 per visit or something it wasn't bad. Plus the facilities were so much nicer...changing facilities that were clean and a nice pool.
Reply 18
happydinosaur
I got 6 months at Total Fitness for £150 studen membership (my local council sports centre closed for 2 years for refurbishment so my dad got me Total Fitness membership for my birthday so I could go the gym with him and mum when I was home) Sounds expensive at £25 per month but seeing as my council gym was £3 per visit or something it wasn't bad. Plus the facilities were so much nicer...changing facilities that were clean and a nice pool.

25£ a month is not that bad. Its actually a bit less than what I feared.
Its funny that despite the fact that around 90% of things in Britain are far more expensive than back home (a country in another part of Europe), gyms are far cheaper.
I for example used to pay 30£ a month for my old gym which was absolutely tiny. And that was one of the cheapest gyms in town.
I thought it would be like £30 a month or £35 tops for a student. I was going to join today.. eugh

Latest