The Student Room Group

2:2 graduating... academic career over?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by evantej
A 2.2 from Oxford is hardly appalling on paper!

Margaret Thatcher did get a 3rd from oxford, LOl. I know it was a long time ago but still a point.
Reply 21
Original post by Millz
Margaret Thatcher did get a 3rd from oxford, LOl. I know it was a long time ago but still a point.

No she didn't. And even if she had, it would hardly matter in this context, would it?
Reply 22
Original post by hobnob
No she didn't. And even if she had, it would hardly matter in this context, would it?

She did get a 3rd.
Reply 23
Original post by Millz
She did get a 3rd.

Are you quite sure? As far as I'm aware she got a perfectly respectable Second at a time before the classification was divided into 2.i and 2.ii.
Reply 24
Original post by hobnob
Are you quite sure? As far as I'm aware she got a perfectly respectable Second at a time before the classification was divided into 2.i and 2.ii.

Yea pretty sure, we were discussing it. But the lecturers did not like her much. So maybe they may have told me fibs.
Reply 25
Wiki says 2nd ^
Original post by chutsu
So I'm currently most likely going to graduate with a 2:2 in BSc Computational Physics, now I was actually on course to do a master but with the grades I have at the end of this term, I think I might be forced to gradate early without writing a dissertation.

Physics hasn't been my strong suit, I always wanted to do computer science, or robotics, mechatronics, and was actually considering doing a Master/PhD, but with the grades I'm most likely going to graduate, is my academic career over?

Thanks

Normally I would mock someone like you, but in this case you're in a much better position than some thick **** thick as two planks doing their degree in Nu Media studies. You're doing physics, a proper hardcore subject, you'll likely be fine academic wise. If you're not then you can always go in to teaching as physics teachers are always in demand.
(edited 12 years ago)
You got a 2.2, so what? It's your own fault. Deal with it.

Neg rep for telling the truth. You muppets. Ha ha:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
You have the whole world in front of you.

I went to a University, and it was a ****ed up American "style" University. Their teaching style, assessment methods, and atmosphere did not suit me. My course was in Engineering, but was not the field of my interest. My interest was in computer engineering and since this is a government Uni in a third world country I didn't have much choice and ended up doing something I didn't like much.

The programme length is five years to get a BS in Engineering (equivalent to UK BEng Hons). I've spent the first two years doing courses in Physics, Math, and Chemistry... Then I was informed that I will not be allowed to do my first choice (Computer Eng) or my second choice (Civil Eng) but they'd allow me to do other options (Chemical Eng, Mechanical Eng, or Electrical Eng)...

I got pissed, and decided to try another college... so even before finalizing transfer documents, I went on and enrolled in school of arts and took all level one courses for the English Studies programme. Upon completion of this year I went on to enroll for level two courses of english studies... thats when I was stopped... Apparently I'm not allowed to switch schools/departments after completing year 3... and since my transfer papers were not completed even though i had enrolled in year 3 at the school of arts, i'm still a student at school of engineering!!

so i was forced back to the school of engineering to do courses in a field of study that wasn't much of my interest. not because i don't like science.. but because i hated everything about that specific school. I hated its staff, its students, its stupid regulations, heck i even hate the town where its located at.

My situation was this: I'm supposed to be doing a 5 years engineering programme... i've done the first two years in engineering, the third in arts, and now back at engineering with three years ahead of me (so I'm one year late). My fourth year at Uni (third year in engineering, two remaining) was ok and I did very well...

Fifth was acceptable but did fail one or two courses (out of seven courses). My highschool friends who went to other universities (doing 4 years programmes) have graduated by now, many of them got jobs straight ahead. some of them were settling and getting married... i still had two years ahead of me...
on the sixth year colleagues, family members, uni staff, and almost everyone I see started bugging and nagging me for being this old and staying this long at Uni! This really affected me and I even started skipping lectures and not attended to classes. I recall skipping even examinations! at the same time however I was assisting a female friend on her masters research in marine science.

i'm not a marine fan, however her situation required some help and i was enjoying the field work. we worked for a year together, and i found a way to relate her field of study with mine... i've became more interested in my degree and wanted to finish it only to proceed into a masters level of study in her field...

year seven (the supposedly final year at this sh!t university) went well in the first semester. the second semester was a disaster because one professor who did not attend to his lectures and was to force us attend next year. This was no possible for me since I've had already spent 7 years (max period at Uni).. A committee was held to approve me another term but i was like **** all of you I had it with this University.

I went back home, fired up my computer, and applied to each and every UK University I could find to do a final year Engineering course. I wanted the UK because there existed the uni where my friend was doing here MSc course which I wanted to do after my bachelors.

Got many offers, however all of them were to do two years not only one. Being self funded... we didn't have much money and this was like losing my future .. i had to find a 1 year university.

There were some 'top up' universities allowing 1 year.. however since this is a stupid american style, I leave after seven years (five years in total doing engineering minus one course to graduate) with nothing... only returned my highschool certificate which I had submitted during my applicatioN!! ... no diploma, no national certificate, no HND or whatever... nothing.

I was lucky to get two offers one from a Uni in wales offering BSc in Engineering (with Honors) and another in scotland without honors. In my country we dont have the Hons system so it didnt mean much... i recall asking about it on a message board and i was saying i'm going to the uni that offers me a degree without hons since it was recommended to me by colleagues and family members. i recall that a girl pissed at me for not being able to talk me out of it and going to the welsh uni.

when did i know the difference? when I wanted to do my postgraduate study. of course at this time i did hold an unconditional offer at the original uni where i wanted to do my msc... but after the great and amazing experience I had in the UK during my undergraduate study (the one year).. i've become exposed to many other fields and become more interested in something else.

i went on again and applied to all UK universities that have my research interest. Surprisingly, I was offered a place to do MSc at one of the top universities in its field. no not top universities when ranked in the UK(though it is reputable) but it is unequivocally one of the top in the field of my interest.

i went on, done my masters, done field work at home, met with many leaders in the field of my study, got a merit in my thesis and my masters...

Yes I had a small transcript when I applied for the MSc, and yes I had a non-hons degree... however I had my interest. .. I had my heart into it.. I wrote letters and attached them to my application... and I was given an opportunity to study. and I succeeded.

I didn't stop there...
Now I'm holding a PhD offer from my current University, another PhD offer from The University of Edinburgh, an offer from ICL, and just a while back got an email from Cambridge that they have recommended me an offer and the papers are with BoGS.

Not just that, I've got a decent job, and I'm going to be sponsored by a decent organization for the coming studies.

I didn't look at my undergraduate studies and cry.. yes I was in deep sh!t. But I had something on my mind and I wanted to do it... I had goals, I had dreams, and with God's Willing and Generosity I was given the means to succeed in achieving my goals and dreams.

Don't bother your self with people's negative comments. Its a human nature that people tend to demean their peers. Don't let negative words hurt you no matter who is giving them to you. Use them as an energy to charge your ambitions.

I know sometimes you'd get these negative comments from people you love or cared about... trust me, some (like parents for example) say them out of fear for you and your future.

2.2 is nothing bad, is far much better than the situation i've been at.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30

Maybe I could've been clearer - I got a 2:2 in 2001 and I'm going to Leeds uni to do an MSc in Sep 2011. So it's now that I'm being accepted with a 2:2.
As said before "proven industry experience" and "strong references" can make up for a shortfall in marks. Postgrad study is a much more discretionary applications process, marks are only used as a basic guidline.

Good Luck
Reply 32
sorry to steal this thread but if you get a 1st class degree but you did the bsc over 4 years and the only reason you had to do 4 years is because you were very lazy and failed a year can you still get in to do an msc?
I got a low 2:2 from Winchester in 2004. That year I was accepted to do a MSc in Social Work at Southampton, which at the time was ranked the top social work uni.
This year I got into Keele for Counselling and was offered interviews for ther other three places I applied to (I withdrew from them all because Keele was my first choice).

So, a 2:2 will not stop you. Some unis will take you, some will require additional work experience to show your motivation etc, but your career is in no way over :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by TheSmurfs
sorry to steal this thread but if you get a 1st class degree but you did the bsc over 4 years and the only reason you had to do 4 years is because you were very lazy and failed a year can you still get in to do an msc?

People fail a year (or two) for loads of reasons. What is important is the degree classification and experience you have at the end of it. With a first-class degree you will have lots of doors open to you.
Reply 35
My brother (very lazy at the time) graduated with a 2.2 overall and he to had his sights set on a masters. He thought he was done for but fortunately the impassioned speech he gave to his tutor (who luckily happened to be head of postgraduate study) was enough to get him a place on the course.

He graduated with a distinction and went on to do a phd. Just something to mention.
Reply 36
It depends on the course and the university. A 2.2 in computational physics is much MUCH more impressive than a number of other degrees. A 2.2 is still a very good achievement if you've been to a good university. The only reason employers instantly reject 2.2s these days is because there are too many people leaving university with 2.1s and 1sts. Probably because there are more and more useless mickey-mouse type courses on offer :tongue:

Don't be disheartened! There are so many options for you. Congratulations, by the way :smile:
Reply 37
I got a 2:2 from the University of Birmingham in 2008 and I was so gutted, but at the same time aware that I had not put that much effort into my education - I think you can still apply for jobs which ask for a 2:1 ... but they always ask you, what made you get a 2:2 because to be honest, them asking for a 2:1 is just a way to narrow candidates down cos far too many people apply for graduate jobs. Some people who get 2:1's aren't necessarily the best for the jobs. I am now doing a Masters degree and I would say it is important to get a good academic reference.

I kept in contact with the lecturer of my favourite module in my last year at undergrad, and I did pretty well for his module. He wrote me an excellent reference, but beforehand I had sent him a CV to give him an idea of what I had been up to so he could incorporate that into the reference. A Masters degree is soooo intense and demanding; so it's important sometimes if you didn't do well to take some time out after graduation (I took two years) to figure out exactly where you want to go with your education. I felt that coming back with a fresh and mature mind I was better able to grasp this whole education thing, and so far the lowest grade I have achieved in my assessments has been 65, the highest being 78 .... and a Masters is sometimes an opportunity to redeem yourself. So long as you are ambitious and willing to work hard, a 2:2 means nothing!!!

Even the sky is not the limit - So just do your thing!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending