The Student Room Group

I feel so working class at uni :(

I started at uni in september and I still feel totally alone.

I come from quite a rough place and I had to work bl**dy hard to get through school, never mind uni, and I feel totally out of place. Its quite a 'rah' place, and even the people who aren't stuck up and are nice are quite priviliged, and I don't really feel like I fit in with any of them.

My flatmates are lovely, and make an effort to invite me to things and get me invloved, and even cheer me up when they can tell I'm down, but I cut myself off a bit because I felt awkward being so different, so they're a lot closer and 'get' each other a lot more.

Because I was so down, of all the societies I joined, I've only really gone to stuff for one of them, and I've made quite a few friends there, but we only see each other once/twice a week as we all do different courses and are in different years so live all over the place.

Worst of alll are the people on my course. Most of the boys went to whichever public school together and won't talk to you anyway, and the girls are bitchy, Jack wills clad, ratty haired blonde types called Cordelia and Arabella, who need a slap.

I have nothing in common with these people, I'd be embarassed to show even my housemates where I live, I don't think many people here have even walked past a council estate, let alone lived in one.

Should I just leave and go somewhere less pretentious, or is it my fault? I feel like I've missed the friendship boat, but then I don't really know who I'd want to be friends with. Which of the better unis have a good mix of people? Yah-yahs get very irritating very quickly!

Thanks for reading my rant, I've been bottling it up for quite some time :smile:

(Sorry if I sound whiney, I'm incredibly grateful to be at uni, so many of the people I went to school with were never given a chance, and its a kick in the teeth to see for myself that at my uni at least, mummy, daddy and the name of your school count for more than hard graft)

Scroll to see replies

Ah gosh i know what you mean!
Im going (hopefully) to uni next year and i am so terrified of not making friends or being embarrassed because of my social class background ( is that the word lool?)

I dont think none of this is your fault at all!! Maybe its a big jump from coming from college, sixth form or whatever
Maybe it might be a bit more difficult for you because its a new environment so you automatically dumb or lower yourself!
I think you flatmates are lovely and I'm sure they would still be willing to engage you in activities! I don't think its too late to make friends! But maybe they should realise that you're finding it difficult so they should try other ways?
Do you have societies you can join which have people in a similar situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Durham?
Reply 3
Do you go to Bristol Uni by then any chance??

Stick it out, I am from a more middle class background than you but I can still relate to the way you feel, I was like that when I first started uni!
You just have to work hard to break down these barriers and you will find where you fit in eventually!!
It took me a good year to find my eventual friends, but I wouldn't change the uni I went to for the world.

Stick it out, you'll realise you belong as much as everyone else :smile:

Also, your working class roots are nothing to be ashamed of!!! You stand up for your working class roots, it is part of who you are and makes you no less of a person!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
You shouldn't feel embarassed about your background. Like you said your flatmates are lovely people and they like you, so why make your life difficult?Ignore the stuck up types that tend to socialize only with similarly privilleged people, in most cases they don't even like each other.

You deserve to be there as much anybody, in fact you should feel proud that you come from a disadvantaged background.The important thing is to remember that you define yourself not the area that you grew up.
Im in a class with a milionare, no word of a lie. I have no cash, to spend as my fam cant afford to give me any money so I use my loan to pay rent AND live.

Don't worry I'm sure they dont care, you don't have to bring them to yours. Just enjoy it to what you can. I dont go out all the time but hey I dont really mind. cause I dont have the cash and Im used to it by now so it dont get to me.
Reply 6
Be proud of your background, the fact that you were disadvantaed makes getting to Uni all the more impressive :smile: As for the stuck up snobs, would you really want to be friends with these kinds of people anyway?
Reply 7
Original post by GeneralOJB
Durham?

Does Durham really have this kind of issue, though I was considering it at one stage UCAS
Reply 8
Economics?

Exeter?
Reply 9
Original post by redferry

Stick it out, I am from a more middle class background than you but I can still relate to the way you feel, I was like that when I first started uni!
You just have to work hard to break down these barriers and you will find where you fit in eventually!!
It took me a good year to find my eventual friends, but I wouldn't change the uni I went to for the world.

Also, your working class roots are nothing to be ashamed of!!! You stand up for your working class roots, it is part of who you are and makes you no less of a person!

Not Bristol NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0

sorry lol :tongue:

OP I think there has to be ppl from our kind of social class there, and not everyone there is like that. Go to some of your socieities, you never know you might actually meet other ppl with similar minds. If you're feeling low, find out if your uni has nightline as they can be great to have a rant too, pity Cov doesn't have them :angry: :angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10

:yep:

Can't give a better answer than that
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous

I come from quite a rough place and I had to work bl**dy hard to get through school, never mind uni, and I feel totally out of place. Its quite a 'rah' place, and even the people who aren't stuck up and are nice are quite priviliged, and I don't really feel like I fit in with any of them.

My flatmates are lovely, and make an effort to invite me to things and get me invloved, and even cheer me up when they can tell I'm down, but I cut myself off a bit because I felt awkward being so different, so they're a lot closer and 'get' each other a lot more.

Because I was so down, of all the societies I joined, I've only really gone to stuff for one of them, and I've made quite a few friends there, but we only see each other once/twice a week as we all do different courses and are in different years so live all over the place.

Worst of alll are the people on my course. Most of the boys went to whichever public school together and won't talk to you anyway, and the girls are bitchy, Jack wills clad, ratty haired blonde types called Cordelia and Arabella, who need a slap.

I have nothing in common with these people, I'd be embarassed to show even my housemates where I live, I don't think many people here have even walked past a council estate, let alone lived in one.

Should I just leave and go somewhere less pretentious, or is it my fault? I feel like I've missed the friendship boat, but then I don't really know who I'd want to be friends with. Which of the better unis have a good mix of people? Yah-yahs get very irritating very quickly!

Thanks for reading my rant, I've been bottling it up for quite some time :smile:

(Sorry if I sound whiney, I'm incredibly grateful to be at uni, so many of the people I went to school with were never given a chance, and its a kick in the teeth to see for myself that at my uni at least, mummy, daddy and the name of your school count for more than hard graft)

Stick it out, and be proud of your background. If anything people will respect the fact that you are from a disadvantaged background because it means you are willing to work hard in life. Try your best to cope with the situation, it'll be like that for the rest of your life, wherever you go and it'll definitely prepare you for the workplace. If everyone dropped out because of a mismatch of background and culture, working class families would miss out on an absolutely brilliant opportunity.
Reply 12
Original post by technoo
Not Bristol NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0

sorry lol :tongue:

OP I think there has to be ppl from our kind of social class there, and not everyone there is like that. Go to some of your socieities, you never know you might actually meet other ppl with similar minds. If you're feeling low, find out if your uni has nightline as they can be great to have a rant too, pity Cov doesn't have them :angry: :angry:

Hey, I was at Bristol, nout wrong with it, just this is very musch the social environment there.

OP: try joining Labour soc or Northern society. I'm not even kidding.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous

I'm only seeing one snob described above, and it's you.

A few things:

1. In what universe are you "working class"? Your parents might be, but you're not, unless you intend to work the rest of your life in a chicken factory, post graduation.

2. Welcome to planet earth. I suggest your first priority should be to rid yourself of the enormous chip on your shoulder. The rest of your life you will be dealing with people who may not be from the same (apparently noble and humble) stock as yourself. Get over yourself.

3. What's wrong with getting somewhere on the name of your school? That's presumably why you chose your university - so that it's name would carry some weight.
Reply 14
dat inferiority complex
Reply 15
Hey, I was at Bristol, nout wrong with it, just this is very musch the social environment there.

OP: try joining Labour soc or Northern society. I'm not even kidding.

So is there any issue there or not?? :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by technoo
So is there any issue there or not?? :confused:

Issue with what? :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Issue with what? :s-smilie:

Well the enviroment there?
Reply 18
Original post by technoo
Well the enviroment there?

there are a lot of 'rahs' but it's only an issue if you let it be.
Reply 19
there are a lot of 'rahs' but it's only an issue if you let it be.

rahs? :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending