The Student Room Group

Contraceptive Pill Help!!!

I'm on Co-Cyprindiol and my last pack ran out on Sunday. It's now Friday and I haven't had my period yet. I know there's no possibility I'm pregnant so that's fine, but I was kind of hoping my period would have started already as I really need it over by Tuesday at the latest. Since it hasn't started yet, if I started my next pack, could that delay it for a month?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm on Co-Cyprindiol and my last pack ran out on Sunday. It's now Friday and I haven't had my period yet. I know there's no possibility I'm pregnant so that's fine, but I was kind of hoping my period would have started already as I really need it over by Tuesday at the latest. Since it hasn't started yet, if I started my next pack, could that delay it for a month?

How long have you been on this pill for? Is this your first pack?
Reply 2
Original post by Vikki1805
How long have you been on this pill for? Is this your first pack?

A few months. Last month my period came two days after the last pill.
A few months. Last month my period came two days after the last pill.

Every pill is different and reacts differently with your body.
Your body usually needs at least 3 months to fully adjust to the pill and get into some sort of routine.
You're technically only 5 days late, which really isn't anything to panic yourself over yet.
Sometimes you can completely skip a period, the same way your period can sometimes start when you're in the middle of a pill packet.

I've never taken the pill you are currently on, but if it gets to Sunday and you still haven't come on, as far as I am aware, you should start your next packet still as normal.
If you are unsure though, your best bet is to phone your doctor and just ask explain that you've not had a period at all yet this month and ask if you should still start your next pack?

When I was on Microgynon 30 I phoned my doctor to see if I could take 3 pill packets in a row without a break, or would it cause me harm? She told me that it was fine (which I didn't expect), just you shouldn't do it too often.

You can be pretty flexible with the pill, but don't panic yourself too much over this! Obviously if you don't have a period again next month, I'd probably advise going to see your doctor and discussing a new form of contraceptive, even if it's just a different pill.

In nearly 6 years I've been prescribed several different pills, some of which were Microgynon30, Yasmin and Millinette.

They all have different levels of two female hormones called Oestrogen and a Progestogen.
Your body will react differently depending on what level your pill contains, this will effect your moods etc as well.

If you still feel concerned, then as I said previously, phone your doctor for a chat or book an appointment. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Vikki1805
Every pill is different and reacts differently with your body.
Your body usually needs at least 3 months to fully adjust to the pill and get into some sort of routine.
You're technically only 5 days late, which really isn't anything to panic yourself over yet.
Sometimes you can completely skip a period, the same way your period can sometimes start when you're in the middle of a pill packet.

I've never taken the pill you are currently on, but if it gets to Sunday and you still haven't come on, as far as I am aware, you should start your next packet still as normal.
If you are unsure though, your best bet is to phone your doctor and just ask explain that you've not had a period at all yet this month and ask if you should still start your next pack?

When I was on Microgynon 30 I phoned my doctor to see if I could take 3 pill packets in a row without a break, or would it cause me harm? She told me that it was fine (which I didn't expect), just you shouldn't do it too often.

You can be pretty flexible with the pill, but don't panic yourself too much over this! Obviously if you don't have a period again next month, I'd probably advise going to see your doctor and discussing a new form of contraceptive, even if it's just a different pill.

In nearly 6 years I've been prescribed several different pills, some of which were Microgynon30, Yasmin and Millinette.

They all have different levels of two female hormones called Oestrogen and a Progestogen.
Your body will react differently depending on what level your pill contains, this will effect your moods etc as well.

If you still feel concerned, then as I said previously, phone your doctor for a chat or book an appointment. :smile:

Thanks, I wasn't aware there was sometimes a few months of adjustment, it's been a while since I was last on the pill so I don't really remember what it was like before. I'm not concerned, but I have some events next week that would need me to not be on my period, I would happily like to skip this month's one! I was wondering if it was too late to start my next pack and just continue as if I was skipping the pill-free week, but maybe it's too late?
Thanks, I wasn't aware there was sometimes a few months of adjustment, it's been a while since I was last on the pill so I don't really remember what it was like before. I'm not concerned, but I have some events next week that would need me to not be on my period, I would happily like to skip this month's one! I was wondering if it was too late to start my next pack and just continue as if I was skipping the pill-free week, but maybe it's too late?

So you stopped taking your pill on Sunday (5 days ago) and you should start your pill again this Sunday (2 days time) and you need to make sure you're not on your period for Tuesday (4 days away).

Realistically if you were going to skip a month it is best to not stop the pill at all, so you'd have gone straight from finishing the pack Sunday, to starting a new pack on the Monday.
Speaking from experience it doesn't matter too much (depending on the pill though) if you start a pack in the middle of your break, the only issue is that it might not necessarily stop your period.

Especially seeing as your period's late as it is, you could not have a period at all whether you start a pack now or not, you could start the pack now and still come on or you could start the pack Tuesday and still come on a couple of days later.

Your best bet is to phone your doctor and check first, or read your leaflet as it may give better advise than I can.
I wouldn't like to say "Yeah go ahead, start a pack now" and you're not supposed to.
Reply 6
Hello. I am 45 years old. [My son`s 16,and I`m on this forum as he starts college in Sept.] I was on the pill when I was younger,but was forever forgetting to take the damn thing. For the last ten years I have had a Mirena Coil fitted. It really is the most fantastic thing. It is always inserted by a female doctor,with not too much discomfort at all. Just think along the lines of a cervical smear,and that`s about the extent of it. The coil stays in place for a full 5 years. You are given a small booklet to keep with the date it was inserted on it,so you know when to have it removed. Although this date will also be on your GP`s records too. It is only removed after the 5 years are up,or if you want to become pregnant. As a contraception,it is pretty much as damn near perfect as you can get. You will NOT get pregnant if you have had this coil fitted. There is another type of coil,but that has to be changed more often,so is more impractical. As for periods,the first few months after having it fitted your periods are pretty heavy. But then as the months go by they get lighter and lighter. Eventually after maybe a year you will have practically no monthly periods at all. Yay.!!! I still do occasionally get a few days of very light spotting,but that is all. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Just to add; obviously,even though it prevents pregnancy,it will NOT prevent STD`s ; so don`t become complacent.!!!
Original post by markova21
Hello. I am 45 years old. [My son`s 16,and I`m on this forum as he starts college in Sept.] I was on the pill when I was younger,but was forever forgetting to take the damn thing. For the last ten years I have had a Mirena Coil fitted. It really is the most fantastic thing. It is always inserted by a female doctor,with not too much discomfort at all. Just think along the lines of a cervical smear,and that`s about the extent of it. The coil stays in place for a full 5 years. You are given a small booklet to keep with the date it was inserted on it,so you know when to have it removed. Although this date will also be on your GP`s records too. It is only removed after the 5 years are up,or if you want to become pregnant. As a contraception,it is pretty much as damn near perfect as you can get. You will NOT get pregnant if you have had this coil fitted. There is another type of coil,but that has to be changed more often,so is more impractical. As for periods,the first few months after having it fitted your periods are pretty heavy. But then as the months go by they get lighter and lighter. Eventually after maybe a year you will have practically no monthly periods at all. Yay.!!! I still do occasionally get a few days of very light spotting,but that is all. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Just to add; obviously,even though it prevents pregnancy,it will NOT prevent STD`s ; so don`t become complacent.!!!

Not only is your post not helpful or really relevant the OP, its also factually incorrect. The OP wasn't asking for advice on what type of contraception she should use. Firstly just because YOU had problems remembering to take it, it doesn't mean the OP does. Don't make assumptions and don't think that just because something is better for you, its going to be better for somebody else.

Secondly, you can not guarantee that you will not get pregnant on the mirena. Yes, I will admit that it has one of the lowest failure rates out of all contraceptives, but nothing is 100% effective for anyone.

Thirdly, the "other type of coil" the copper IUD doesn't have to be changed more regularly. One type lasts for 5 years, like the mirena, the other lasts for 10. I know because I have it fitted.

Fourthly, your experience of the mirena is not the same as everyone elses. YOU may have bled heavily for the first few months, but not everyone will. I didn't on my IUD, and it tends to be more likely to cause those sorts of problems. Please STOP assuming that other people are like you and that what has worked best for you and the effects you have had are the same for everybody. For all you know, the OP has no problems remembering her pill, and its the most practical and right contraception is for her, just as the copper IUD is for me. But I'm not shoving the idea down people's throats when it hasn't been asked for.

To the OP, at this point, no one can really say when your bleed will happen whether you start taking your pill now or wait until the 7 days is up. You may well be bleeding on Tuesday, but is that REALLY as big a problem as you think? Your period shouldn't stop you from doing anything. If you are able to get to a doctors tomorrow, you might be able to delay it with norethisterone but there is really no guarantee as your bleed could start at any time. Sorry its probably not what you want to hear. If you're definitely not pregnant, I wouldn't worry about it, but would probably see a doctor if it keeps happening.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I was just giving her another option to think about.
Original post by markova21
I was just giving her another option to think about.

As a general rule of courtesy with forums, unless you're asked, don't. Stick to topic and answer the questions that are being asked, and if you are asked, make sure you have your facts right and try not to make assumptions about other people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Not only is your post not helpful or really relevant the OP, its also factually incorrect. The OP wasn't asking for advice on what type of contraception she should use. Firstly just because YOU had problems remembering to take it, it doesn't mean the OP does. Don't make assumptions and don't think that just because something is better for you, its going to be better for somebody else.

Secondly, you can not guarantee that you will not get pregnant on the mirena. Yes, I will admit that it has one of the lowest failure rates out of all contraceptives, but nothing is 100% effective for anyone.

Thirdly, the "other type of coil" the copper IUD doesn't have to be changed more regularly. One type lasts for 5 years, like the mirena, the other lasts for 10. I know because I have it fitted.

Fourthly, your experience of the mirena is not the same as everyone elses. YOU may have bled heavily for the first few months, but not everyone will. I didn't on my IUD, and it tends to be more likely to cause those sorts of problems. Please STOP assuming that other people are like you and that what has worked best for you and the effects you have had are the same for everybody. For all you know, the OP has no problems remembering her pill, and its the most practical and right contraception is for her, just as the copper IUD is for me. But I'm not shoving the idea down people's throats when it hasn't been asked for.

To the OP, at this point, no one can really say when your bleed will happen whether you start taking your pill now or wait until the 7 days is up. You may well be bleeding on Tuesday, but is that REALLY as big a problem as you think? Your period shouldn't stop you from doing anything. If you are able to get to a doctors tomorrow, you might be able to delay it with norethisterone but there is really no guarantee as your bleed could start at any time. Sorry its probably not what you want to hear. If you're definitely not pregnant, I wouldn't worry about it, but would probably see a doctor if it keeps happening.

Thanks. My period started this afternoon so I'm hoping it will maybe finish by Wednesday. I know it shouldn't stop me from doing anything but there are some activities that I just feel much more comfortable not being on my period for.

Also, to the poster who suggested the coil I appreciate you were showing me another option. I know what's out there and I am most comfortable with the pill compared to longer term contraceptive options. Also I'm mainly on the pill as a spot treatment for now, so it's effectiveness as contraception isn't an important factor for me at this point in time.
Thanks. My period started this afternoon so I'm hoping it will maybe finish by Wednesday. I know it shouldn't stop me from doing anything but there are some activities that I just feel much more comfortable not being on my period for.

Also, to the poster who suggested the coil I appreciate you were showing me another option. I know what's out there and I am most comfortable with the pill compared to longer term contraceptive options. Also I'm mainly on the pill as a spot treatment for now, so it's effectiveness as contraception isn't an important factor for me at this point in time.

Hopefully it might be quite light by tuesday then :smile:
Reply 12
I was on Dianette (co-cyprindiol) for quite a while and found that my bleed would start around 5 days after I took the last pill. It always started later compared to other pills I've taken. Obviously I don't know if that's universal, but it might just be one of those things.

Quick Reply

Latest