The Student Room Group

How often do you speak to your mum when you're at uni?

I'm in my second year of uni and have just moved into my student house with 2 others on my course.

I'm very sensitive by nature and very close to my family, my mum in particular. I was just wondering how much university students tend to speak to their mum (or dad) on the phone as I do a number of times a day. I'm quite different from the "typical" university student in that I don't go out drinking much and go home every weekend.

I feel like I'm living uni life wrong and that I shouldn't be speaking to my mum every day because uni is about growing up and living your own life, but I get upset and feel guilty if I don't. I suffer from anxiety and have suffered from depression in the past so I feel like I have to have constant attention from my mum and like to tell her how I'm feeling and what I've been doing.

I'm just interested to know what other students (in any year) are like with communication with their parents.

Thanks

L

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm on my third year. I call my mum everyday. If I'm going out then I call her before I go.
Reply 2
Parents call me every three hours. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
We send a few texts during the day, usually everyday.
I Skype my parents once a week and send a few random texts during the week. Usually text my mum about amusing anecdotes and my dad if I want to complain about something :tongue:
Wow, you all keep in contact so much.
I have around 1 awkward conversation per week, supplemented by up to 1 awkward email.
I'm lucky if I can get her to get in contact once a fortnight... not that I'm particularly happy with that. I speak to the rest of my family once or twice a week (per person; small family) though.
Reply 7
We send smoke signals.
Reply 8
It has only been a week and I have skyped her twice. It feels like I have been here a year though. I introduced my mum to all my flatmates who were around as well.
Reply 9
i pretty much speak to my mum every few days.. although its never me doing the calling. She will skype me or call me out of the blue to get an update which is fine by me :wink: I was always the "gotta get ma independance quickly" sorta person so once i moved out.. i pretty much disappeared :wink:
Well i don't live in a different city but i don't live at home.. I normally text/phone my parents at some point everyday,i facetime them sometimes. I usually send my mum silly things like pictures of cakes i've baked or a nice dinner i've made :lol: and probably see them 3 times a week.

I just love my family more than anything and i love speaking to them and seeing them :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by deedee123
Well i don't live in a different city but i don't live at home.. I normally text/phone my parents at some point everyday,i facetime them sometimes. I usually send my mum silly things like pictures of cakes i've baked or a nice dinner i've made :lol: and probably see them 3 times a week.

I just love my family more than anything and i love speaking to them and seeing them :smile:

occasionally i do get sent a random lolcat pic by my sisters :biggrin: ALWAYS cheers me up :wink:
once a day, just a quick chat to see how im getting on.

I leave my PC on all day so i see random skype messages from my brother popping up.
Been at Uni for 9 days now and called my Mum 3 times.
I send emails every other day, but only called home twice in the past 3 weeks. My parents took me out for dinner tonight though which was nice :smile:
Thanks for all your replies!

What I don't understand is (not judging here at ALL) how some of you guys and loads of people at my uni can go a week or even a few days without speaking to their parents when you've spent pretty much every day of your life with them so far. How do you do that? Like do you not feel guilty that they're probably missing you and hoping that you'll call?

L
Reply 16
Original post by love.the.efron

What I don't understand is (not judging here at ALL) how some of you guys and loads of people at my uni can go a week or even a few days without speaking to their parents when you've spent pretty much every day of your life with them so far. How do you do that? Like do you not feel guilty that they're probably missing you and hoping that you'll call?

L

I dreaded leaving my parents behind. And my first 3 days here were completely isolating and i was almost to the point of tears :colondollar:

Then 1 conversation with my dad changed all that.
He then took me to pizza hut , which might seem lame but that brings back so many memories and he knew that would.
What he said to me , is the reason why i coped and im settling in.
Depends whether or not I'm cooking something interesting and need help :tongue:
Original post by love.the.efron

L

It didn't always used to be like that for me - I'm in my third year now and left home in March 2011, and you do find that over time you need your parents less, uni feels more like home and your friends are your primary support network, with parents there for major crises and nice chit chats! It's a gradual process though and no one becomes instantaneously emotionally independent.

To be honest, I think not seeing my family in person for six months straight after I left home (I was travelling, so there was no choice, you just have to get on with it!), and having divorced parents (so I was used to not seeing any given parent every day) helped too.

As for them missing me, they're always free to ring me if they want :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I probably talk to my mum and dad once every two weeks or so, depending on if I need something or not. I am much better at calling my parents than I used to be though, in the past it was pretty normal for me to not talk to my parents for 5 or 6 weeks at a time.

I don't really understand why some people phone home as much as they do though, if it was me / my parents I think we'd run out of things to say pretty quickly, I mean life isn't really that interesting so...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending