The Student Room Group

Flatmate smokes weed - what to do

So, I've recently moved in to a new flat with people I don't know from before. The flat is strictly non-smoking.

Last week I learned that one of my flatmates smokes weed, and I assumed she does it outside the flat which I honestly don't two ****s about - whatever she does outside the flat is none of my business. Yesterday however I started to smell the weed. I first thought I must be imagining it / it's coming from outside (had my window wide open). When her friend leaves I meet her in the kitchen, and then says she was smoking weed in her room with a friend. Apparently has done that a lot, saying that the previous person living here was totally ok with it. It was late in the night so I was a bit shocked and tired to react with anything else than "don't smoke when I live here, it's a non-smoking flat". However this morning I noticed a smoked joint on the kitchen table. :confused:

What should I do? I was thinking of reminding her today that I really don't want ANY smoking in the house and just tell her my reasons, and also mention that I will report her to the landlord if I smell weed again. I also don't feel comfortable with the fact that she's keeping all her weed in the flat. :s-smilie::s-smilie:

I just feel super uncomfortable knowing she's been smoking a lot in the flat before I moved here, and kind of feel like I should report her now... I don't know her at all, which is why I'm hesitating giving her a chance to stop doing it in the flat.
Reply 1
Just ignore her?
If she gets caught its on her, i really don't see, other than the occasional smell which isn't a big deal and can be easily concealed, how it affects you?

I can't really imagine you being very popular if you move into a house late, then start causing drama and getting the landlord involved on those who have already lived there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
If it was me i'll join them, nothing like a bit of paper to start you off in the morning.

But because this is you, if you are really troubled by it then yes report her.
Reply 3
Original post by troubled111
So, I've recently moved in to a new flat with people I don't know from before. The flat is strictly non-smoking.

Last week I learned that one of my flatmates smokes weed, and I assumed she does it outside the flat which I honestly don't two ****s about - whatever she does outside the flat is none of my business. Yesterday however I started to smell the weed. I first thought I must be imagining it / it's coming from outside (had my window wide open). When her friend leaves I meet her in the kitchen, and then says she was smoking weed in her room with a friend. Apparently has done that a lot, saying that the previous person living here was totally ok with it. It was late in the night so I was a bit shocked and tired to react with anything else than "don't smoke when I live here, it's a non-smoking flat". However this morning I noticed a smoked joint on the kitchen table. :confused:

What should I do? I was thinking of reminding her today that I really don't want ANY smoking in the house and just tell her my reasons, and also mention that I will report her to the landlord if I smell weed again. I also don't feel comfortable with the fact that she's keeping all her weed in the flat. :s-smilie::s-smilie:

I just feel super uncomfortable knowing she's been smoking a lot in the flat before I moved here, and kind of feel like I should report her now... I don't know her at all, which is why I'm hesitating giving her a chance to stop doing it in the flat.

Ignore her, don't be a player hater,.
Reply 4
Some people are against drug use which is totally fine. But instead of posting on here asking people what to do just grow a pair, walk into her room and tell her your not comfortable with it been done in the house. State they do drug tests at your work and you don't want to fail due to second hand smoke.
I'm assuming you're worried in case the cops bust in and you get in trouble too or something? If this is the case, why not just tell her your concerns?

Original post by Mick876
Some people are against drug use which is totally fine. But instead of posting on here asking people what to do just grow a pair, walk into her room and tell her your not comfortable with it been done in the house. State they do drug tests at your work and you don't want to fail due to second hand smoke.

This is a good idea too.
Original post by Mick876

4871922+_12680e1b51c065e6a6def01ece7b420a.jpg
I'm biased in that I'd love a flatmate like that as that'd suit me nicely, but unless you have good reasons to I don't see why you need to. Second hand smoke is a good reason obviously, but if you didn't notice any then it's not going to be an issue unless she doesn't contain it to her room.

Depends what your reasons are, I can understand being against drug use in a shared place but if it's not affecting you I think telling the landlord is overstepping it personally without discussing it further with her. That's going to cause a lot of drama and a calm discussion is likely going to be better than an angry one when she's been giving a warning or whatever measures taken, if she's not kicked out then leaving with a flatmate that hates you isn't going to be fun.

If it's something you're not comfortable with in the house at all, tell her that or if you want to meet in the middle ask if she could contain it all to her room, so no leaving joints in the kitchen and common areas etc. At least then you're kept separate from it all if that's what you want.

I'd love to be able to smoke in my flat, but I'd not expect to be able to unless everyone is cool with it so talk it through with her and see if you can come to some agreement, try to be understanding but if it really is going to affect you then you need to tell her and then escalate it further if you can't resolve it personally.
Original post by Photovoltaic
I'm biased in that I'd love a flatmate like that as that'd suit me nicely, but unless you have good reasons to I don't see why you need to. Second hand smoke is a good reason obviously, but if you didn't notice any then it's not going to be an issue unless she doesn't contain it to her room.

Depends what your reasons are, I can understand being against drug use in a shared place but if it's not affecting you I think telling the landlord is overstepping it personally without discussing it further with her. That's going to cause a lot of drama and a calm discussion is likely going to be better than an angry one when she's been giving a warning or whatever measures taken, if she's not kicked out then leaving with a flatmate that hates you isn't going to be fun.

If it's something you're not comfortable with in the house at all, tell her that or if you want to meet in the middle ask if she could contain it all to her room, so no leaving joints in the kitchen and common areas etc. At least then you're kept separate from it all if that's what you want.

I'd love to be able to smoke in my flat, but I'd not expect to be able to unless everyone is cool with it so talk it through with her and see if you can come to some agreement, try to be understanding but if it really is going to affect you then you need to tell her and then escalate it further if you can't resolve it personally.

OP is just pissed that he isn't getting some of the action...:rolleyes:
Reply 9
I appreciate all the mature responses.

Original post by JG1233
If she gets caught its on her, i really don't see, other than the occasional smell which isn't a big deal and can be easily concealed, how it affects you?

I can't really imagine you being very popular if you move into a house late, then start causing drama and getting the landlord involved on those who have already lived there.

The smell doesn't just stay in her room.

I don't really understand what you mean by me moving into the house late. I don't want to cause drama at all, I just want to get through this without any problems.

Original post by Mick876

I may have come across a bit too judging in the OP, I'll admit that. I'm going to have a talk with her tonight.

Original post by spleenharvester
I'm assuming you're worried in case the cops bust in and you get in trouble too or something? If this is the case, why not just tell her your concerns?

My biggest concern is the second hand smoke and the bad smell that comes off it.

As I stated in the OP I've got asthma and prone to migraines. I had a pounding headache and felt sick most of last night from the smell. I signed a lease to a throughly non-smoking flat and I feel like I have the right for the flat to remain that way.

I guess I'm just panicky over this because it's my first time dealing with this sort of stuff. I'm a little baffled she automatically assumed I'm ok with it in the house. As previously mentioned I don't care if she smokes outside the flat, she's free to do that, but I'm not cool with it in the flat. Previously I've only lived with people I know from before, so I guess I'm also scared of coming across trying to cause drama when it's really not my intention and nervous because I don't know how she'll react at all. She's only got like 3 months left of her tenancy as well, and yeah, I'd be a total asshat if I got her kicked out in such a short time.

I suppose I'll just see if we both can handle this maturely.

Thanks for your advice.
Reply 10
Your not going to get second hand smoke. If they are smoking in another room the smoke will go out the windows or just end up trapped in the room if the door is shut. You are getting a smell, not any actual smoke you are inhaling. I fail to see how it could start a migraine, the smell alone of cannabis has never been linked to any health issues.

The smell even though i see it as not being a big deal, especially if shes smoking only late at night like you mentioned, but maybe you could just ask her to spray? Its unlikely she will agree to go outside every time she wants to smoke, i've lived around plenty of smokers and even if they initially agree they will just end up smoking in their room anyway but maybe just being more discreet about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by troubled111
I appreciate all the mature responses.
As I stated in the OP I've got asthma and prone to migraines. I had a pounding headache and felt sick most of last night from the smell. I signed a lease to a throughly non-smoking flat and I feel like I have the right for the flat to remain that way.

I guess I'm just panicky over this because it's my first time dealing with this sort of stuff. I'm a little baffled she automatically assumed I'm ok with it in the house. As previously mentioned I don't care if she smokes outside the flat, she's free to do that, but I'm not cool with it in the flat. Previously I've only lived with people I know from before, so I guess I'm also scared of coming across trying to cause drama when it's really not my intention and nervous because I don't know how she'll react at all. She's only got like 3 months left of her tenancy as well, and yeah, I'd be a total asshat if I got her kicked out in such a short time.

I suppose I'll just see if we both can handle this maturely.

Thanks for your advice.

I didn't see that in the OP, but that would certainly qualify for a good reason if that's the case. It is a non-smoking flat, and if it is causing you health problems then unless she's incredibly unreasonable she should understand that. If she doesn't and it continues to cause you health problems then you're well within your rights to report it and as a last resort you should if it's affecting you.

Dealing with someone you don't really know on that sort of subject is never going to be fun but no matter past experiences, they shouldn't expect to be able to smoke in the flat and generally people are pretty understanding that not everyone is cool with it. She's likely forgotten that a bit, as it's easy to do when something becomes the norm for you but most people would understand if you said.
I didn't see that in the OP, but that would certainly qualify for a good reason if that's the case. It is a non-smoking flat, and if it is causing you health problems then unless she's incredibly unreasonable she should understand that. If she doesn't and it continues to cause you health problems then you're well within your rights to report it and as a last resort you should if it's affecting you.

This is exactly what I would do. As someone who also suffers both asthma and migraines I can sympathise. If she does it anyway knowing full well it could damage your health she can't complain when you report it.

And yeah that wasn't in the OP haha.
Original post by spleenharvester
This is exactly what I would do. As someone who also suffers both asthma and migraines I can sympathise. If she does it anyway knowing full well it could damage your health she can't complain when you report it.

And yeah that wasn't in the OP haha.

Dealing with someone you don't really know on that sort of subject is never going to be fun but no matter past experiences, they shouldn't expect to be able to smoke in the flat and generally people are pretty understanding that not everyone is cool with it. She's likely forgotten that a bit, as it's easy to do when something becomes the norm for you but most people would understand if you said.

Damn, I must've accidentally deleted it when I was typing this whole thing. I wrote it over and over again so many times lol. Not my day lol. :rolleyes:

I had a talk with her and we agreed on her smoking outside the flat, and we'll also see how much I can smell if she smokes in her room by an open window.
Usually they won’t give a sh... about you. I moved to a new flat because I have asthma and I am extremely allergic to smoke and previous flat mates - all of them,5 - were smoking inside the flat. The landlord knew it, did not care. So I moved here,where it was promised no one smoking inside the house. Right now the girl as I am writing this,doing it. A couple of weeks ago I had chest infection because of this. Still did it. Wide open her door. Here and in the previous flat I had to call the ambulance many times. They don’t care. Junkies doesn’t care. I’m thinking to call the police. Friggin’ selfish people!
Original post by Boomer99
Usually they won’t give a sh... about you. I moved to a new flat because I have asthma and I am extremely allergic to smoke and previous flat mates - all of them,5 - were smoking inside the flat. The landlord knew it, did not care. So I moved here,where it was promised no one smoking inside the house. Right now the girl as I am writing this,doing it. A couple of weeks ago I had chest infection because of this. Still did it. Wide open her door. Here and in the previous flat I had to call the ambulance many times. They don’t care. Junkies doesn’t care. I’m thinking to call the police. Friggin’ selfish people!

Bit obvious :rolleyes:
She is being selfish and you have a right to live in a non smoking flat, which was what you signed up for. She is flouting the terms by which she signed up for the flat so if you report her to the landlord it’s her own fault so tough titties.
Original post by Basic sense
She is being selfish and you have a right to live in a non smoking flat, which was what you signed up for. She is flouting the terms by which she signed up for the flat so if you report her to the landlord it’s her own fault so tough titties.

Never shared a flat I take it? :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending