The Student Room Group

Guy called me 'ugly' and 'fat' and verbally abused me

Ok so it started last weekend when me and two of my best friends went clubbing. I have been generally aware that when we go out they get all the attention from the guys (they're thin, exotic looking basically they look like models and they're size 8, I'm a size 12 and much plainer looking in comparison though up until now I wouldn't have said I was 'ugly'). As we are about to leave, my friend who is in a relationship is approached by this guy who literally picks her up and swings her around amongst other things and starts talking to her. He follows us out of the club and while my second friend gets a taxi home (she lives further away than we do) i go back with my friend as she's in a relationship and i know she would regret it so much if that guy did anything with her. We are at her flat with the guy who refuses to leave and keeps touching my friend and tries to kiss her while jokingly saying 'I don't think your friend likes me' in relation to me, laughing at me. So i finally pull the guy off my friend shouting 'LOOK SHE HAS A BOYFRIEND GET OFF HER AND ****ING GET LOST!!' Then the guy starts saying stuff to me like 'I don't need to be told by a fat ugly ***ch what to do? Look at you, your friends are both hotter than you while you look like a fat piece of **it no wonder no guy wants you because you're a frigid uptight heffer!' etc and a lot of worse stuff before finally leaving. My friend took me home and I was in tears. Since that night I have felt so crap about myself :frown: like it drilled into me how every time i go out with my friends boys drool over them and I've seen the same guys look at me and shake their heads. I know I'm pale, plainer looking and a size 12 but I never thought of myself as 'fat' and 'unattractive' until now. Now I feel worthless :frown: Can anyone help me out? How do i get over this?

Scroll to see replies

you don't need a man's approval huni, it looks as if you were comfortable in your own skin before he said those harsh words. He only got angry because you pulled him off your friend... you did the right thing, don't beat yourself up about it :biggrin: and size 12 isn't fat xx
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so it started last weekend when me and two of my best friends went clubbing. I have been generally aware that when we go out they get all the attention from the guys (they're thin, exotic looking basically they look like models and they're size 8, I'm a size 12 and much plainer looking in comparison though up until now I wouldn't have said I was 'ugly':wink:. As we are about to leave, my friend who is in a relationship is approached by this guy who literally picks her up and swings her around amongst other things and starts talking to her. He follows us out of the club and while my second friend gets a taxi home (she lives further away than we do) i go back with my friend as she's in a relationship and i know she would regret it so much if that guy did anything with her. We are at her flat with the guy who refuses to leave and keeps touching my friend and tries to kiss her while jokingly saying 'I don't think your friend likes me' in relation to me, laughing at me. So i finally pull the guy off my friend shouting 'LOOK SHE HAS A BOYFRIEND GET OFF HER AND ****ING GET LOST!!' Then the guy starts saying stuff to me like 'I don't need to be told by a fat ugly ***ch what to do? Look at you, your friends are both hotter than you while you look like a fat piece of **it no wonder no guy wants you because you're a frigid uptight heffer!' etc and a lot of worse stuff before finally leaving. My friend took me home and I was in tears. Since that night I have felt so crap about myself :frown: like it drilled into me how every time i go out with my friends boys drool over them and I've seen the same guys look at me and shake their heads. I know I'm pale, plainer looking and a size 12 but I never thought of myself as 'fat' and 'unattractive' until now. Now I feel worthless :frown: Can anyone help me out? How do i get over this?

Ok he went in deep with the insults but you did swear at him and you even CAPS so it must've been that loud, although...you were intervening for your friend, which is great. So he knee-jerk...was a jerk...and said those things to you but I beg you please do not let some drunk ass circle make you think badly of yourself!
Basically, you've spent the whole evening trying to ruin his game and then explode at him in a really over the top manner and expect him not to reply? Never heard of 12 being fat though; basically he has to say worse stuff to you.
Gah, people can be such dicks! I'm sorry you had to deal with that :/ I've had a similar thing happen to me and to begin with I felt really sad and upset by it but afterwards I got a bit angry for feeling that way. I mean like the other post said, he was clearly annoyed that you pulled him off your friend and therefore his instant reaction was to insult you because he felt embarrassed. Size 12 isn't fat, not that it would be okay for anyone to bring up someone's weight as a means to insult them or undermine their confidence. I know it's probably difficult but don't feel worthless. You shouldn't even consider his opinion as he's a right tosspot. What matters is you did the right thing, nothing is wrong with you and you don't need to concern yourself with people like that.
Reply 5
Lose some weight then you'd lose the 'fat' tag and will only be referred to as 'ugly'. Progress my friend.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by saeed97
Lose some wait then you'd lose the 'fat' tag and will only be referred to as 'ugly'. Progress my friend.

*weight...my friend. :wink:
Ok so it started last weekend when me and two of my best friends went clubbing. I have been generally aware that when we go out they get all the attention from the guys (they're thin, exotic looking basically they look like models and they're size 8, I'm a size 12 and much plainer looking in comparison though up until now I wouldn't have said I was 'ugly'). As we are about to leave, my friend who is in a relationship is approached by this guy who literally picks her up and swings her around amongst other things and starts talking to her. He follows us out of the club and while my second friend gets a taxi home (she lives further away than we do) i go back with my friend as she's in a relationship and i know she would regret it so much if that guy did anything with her. We are at her flat with the guy who refuses to leave and keeps touching my friend and tries to kiss her while jokingly saying 'I don't think your friend likes me' in relation to me, laughing at me. So i finally pull the guy off my friend shouting 'LOOK SHE HAS A BOYFRIEND GET OFF HER AND ****ING GET LOST!!' Then the guy starts saying stuff to me like 'I don't need to be told by a fat ugly ***ch what to do? Look at you, your friends are both hotter than you while you look like a fat piece of **it no wonder no guy wants you because you're a frigid uptight heffer!' etc and a lot of worse stuff before finally leaving. My friend took me home and I was in tears. Since that night I have felt so crap about myself :frown: like it drilled into me how every time i go out with my friends boys drool over them and I've seen the same guys look at me and shake their heads. I know I'm pale, plainer looking and a size 12 but I never thought of myself as 'fat' and 'unattractive' until now. Now I feel worthless :frown: Can anyone help me out? How do i get over this?

It's unacceptable behaviour on the guy's part. However, I do think that you were out of your place trying to interfere with your friend's interaction with him. Unless there was serious evidence that he was doing something with her against her will, you really had no right to be there. If she wants to do stuff with him despite having a boyfriend, that's her mistake to make.

Other than that, I'd just say try to forget about it. It may be easier said than done, but rude people exist and there's little anybody can do about it but avoid them. Verbal abuse is, after all, not exactly a well-defined offence in law and, for that reason, you couldn't possibly take any action against him.
Reply 8
Original post by Maggie_O
*weight...my friend. :wink:

Thanks for the correction
Reply 9
OP, don't let this fool undermine your self esteem. He was in a rage after his pulling attempt was thwarted and lashed out in full fury.

I would ask though, why are you the guardian of your friends sanctity? Was she drunk and unable to speak up for herself? If you had not intervened, was she game to have this dude in her flat? I think you should only give help where it is required as it sounds as if you came out worst for trying to be helpful.
what race were the men ?
Reply 11
Original post by democracyforum
what race were the men ?

Is there a particular race that is more prone to obnoxious behaviour such as this?
what race were the men ?

Spoiler

Original post by CCC75
Is there a particular race that is more prone to obnoxious behaviour such as this?

sounds like a working class white builder type actually
calling someone ugly is mean :frown:

Nothing wrong with calling someone fat though. It's not an insult it's just a description. Like height / hair colour etc.
Reply 15
You don't need validation from silly, uneducated people like him. Don't you worry.
I know its hurtful but come on! He is a dickhead and you are far more better than him as a person so let that loser rot somewhere and cheer up!
Reply 17
sounds like a working class white builder type actually

Yeah, I don't think any single demographic have the monolopy on being mouthy dicks.
Original post by pagorai
I know its hurtful but come on! He is a dickhead and you are far more better than him as a person so let that loser rot somewhere and cheer up!

Tell her to just get inside my zone

Spoiler

Spoiler

How do i get over this?

The eternal question.

Latest

Trending

Trending