The Student Room Group

would you ever date someone you're not physically attracted to?

Poll

would you date someone you are not physically attracted to?

They had everything you looked for but the attraction wasn't there? would you still go for them?

Scroll to see replies

yes
Of course attraction can be built overtime as you get to know them better. I would definitely give it a chance as you might be making a mistake by overlooking them.
When I first read this post I was going to reply and say no I wouldn't. I would see how it goes for the first 2-3 dates and if nothing was there I would leave it. When I met my ex I didn't feel attracted to him much, but I decided to go ahead and go on a date with him. I had a great time and the next day he asked me out again. By the third date there was definitely something there and I was more attracted to him.
Yeh cos people get more attractive the more I get to know them thru their behaviour and personality.
Original post by Black Cat
Of course attraction can be built overtime as you get to know them better. I would definitely give it a chance as you might be making a mistake by overlooking them.
I second this
Yes. I have dated two girls to whom I wasn't attracted, I'd do it again. I felt absolutely no attraction towards them whatsoever, nothing at all, I love them so much but they're very unattractive unfortunately. I hate to use the word ugly, but one of them is quite ugly I'm afraid. They didn't even have the qualities I'm looking for, I completely disregarded my standards and scraped the bottom of the barrel in search for companionship, ended up with two unattractive girls but I love them dearly. It wasn't fun.
probably not, I think physical attraction is a big part of a relationship and I've went out with people I didn't find physically attractive in the past and it never really worked

edit: I will add like someone else said that I do tend to fancy people that aren't 'conventionally attractive' and there tends to be something I can find attractive in most people
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
No. I'm sorry but it's better not to string someone along if you don't find them attractive. Looks aren't everything but they're still a factor. I wouldn't even want them to date me if they found me unattractive. Imagine hearing them state how they feel very bluntly "I like your personality but dislike how you look, nevertheless I'll give you a chance anyway. After all I can look past appearances." Yeah... no. **** off. :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
I really quite like the threads you've been making lately :h:

I'd start off with attraction
But at the end of the day attraction will wear off, and you're left with the personality which you will also have to appreciate.

Think of it like this:
Fish looks good so you grab it
fish dies but tastes good so you savour it

:rofl:
Unlike most people I'd have to say no. However, I would add that I'm at least a bit attracted to most women my age.
It's kind of a difficult question to answer.

I've been attracted to people who weren't particularly good-looking before, solely because of their personalities. So if this person's personality was so perfect, then surely it would affect how I feel about them physically?

But if in some hypothetical situation it did not, then no, I would not. I don't see how it could work. Just be best friends instead.
Original post by Danz123
No. I'm sorry but it's better not to string someone along if you don't find them attractive. Looks aren't everything but they're still a factor. I wouldn't even want them to date me if they found me unattractive. Imagine hearing them state how they feel very bluntly "I like your personality but dislike how you look, nevertheless I'll give you a chance anyway. After all I can look past appearances." Yeah... no. **** off. :lol:

No this is very true, what if roles were reversed? Yeah. no thanks I wouldn't want to be in that position.:tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I really quite like the threads you've been making lately :h:

I'd start off with attraction
But at the end of the day attraction will wear off, and you're left with the personality which you will also have to appreciate.

Think of it like this:
Fish looks good so you grab it
fish dies but tastes good so you savour it

:rofl:

Aww thank you, much appreciated

Yeah I agree with you
Reply 14
Original post by samina_ay
yes

awwww you're a personality person?
cute x
Original post by loveleest
awwww you're a personality person?
cute x

looks fade, a good heart is rare i guess
Reply 16
Original post by Danz123

LOOL that would be so funny and awkward
but i do understand you mean, i'd be upset if my partner thought i was ugly with a great personality.
No, as a gay person I doubt I'd want to date women no matter their personality.
Reply 18
Original post by samina_ay
looks fade, a good heart is rare i guess

yeah, personality is defo more important
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No this is very true, what if roles were reversed? Yeah. no thanks I wouldn't want to be in that position.:tongue:

Exactly! You wanna feel as though your partner was very physically attracted to you from the offset haha. All this 'I'll give them a chance anyway' stuff just makes the person on the receiving end feel like a charity case really. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending