The Student Room Group

Can I get funded a second time?

Dear Mark

Long story short I started a course of full time study at UCLan studying Chemistry. I completed two years of this course before having to leave as I didn't think I would be able to handle the stress of doing well in a hard degree alongside suffering from the grief of losing two relatives with nearly a year of each other. In total I have lost 3 relatives within 5 years and 2 relatives within the two years at university.

I now believe it would be best for me to resume my higher education at another institution at some point in the future after I feel capable to do so again and I'm looking to do a BSc instead of an MChem this time. Would I be eligible for an extra year of funding to do the first year again or would I have to pay that myself?

Thank you
Hi

If you are starting a new course and did not receive a qualification from the last one, you will be eligible for full funding from years two onwards.

Due to the circumstances while you were studying the previous course, you may be able to get the full year of funding back if you would like to appeal as having "compelling personal reasons".

You would need to write a cover letter explaining why you couldn't complete the second year and provide evidence of this. Evidence (depending on circumstances) may include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP

Letter from Social Services

Letter from clergy or professional person

Death Certificate

Photocopy of a Birth Certificate

Please send and include your CRN to: Student Finance England, PO Box 210. Darlington, DL1 9HJ

Thanks
Hi, I'm in the same situation but I did adult nursing. Will I still not get the first years funding for a new degree even though I didn't need funding for nursing as its nhs funded?
Original post by Chloelouiseb
Hi, I'm in the same situation but I did adult nursing. Will I still not get the first years funding for a new degree even though I didn't need funding for nursing as its nhs funded?

You are probably better off making your own thread asking this as I think you have the most chance of getting a response there
Hi Chloe,

NHS funded courses are considered exception courses, as you only receive maintenance loan from us anyway. As long as the new course is also an NHS funded course, you will be eligible to continue to receive the maintenance loan without sending in other evidence.

Thanks
Mark, this is going to sound stupid but what exactly should I put in the cover letter? How it made me feel and how it disrupted my work and stuff?
Hi,

You can just explain the circumstances and how this affected your studies along with your other evidence.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending