The Student Room Group

Changing course after firming?

Hi :smile:

So basically I've had my doubts about my course for a while now (Social Analytics & Politics at Cardiff), most recently because I don't think I'd enjoy a course that has no creativity and Politics with no context to it (eg. I've enjoyed studying Politics in Mexican cinema). I originally chose it because it was strong in research methods and a unique course, but now I'm thinking if the latter is really that important.

I looked at other courses in the same academic school (more out of curiosity than anything) and found one that seems absolutely perfect - Journalism, Media & Sociology. There are elective modules that would let me analyse the reflection of politics in the media like I've done in Film and it has research methods modules that would allow me to keep my options open. I'm already getting excited over it and changing courses may be the motivation I need.

Would Cardiff let me change courses, even after I've firmed it, if I emailed and explained the situation? and who would I have to email as I'm really confused. It's the same entry requirements (ABB) if that makes any difference.

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Probably. I know of people who changed course half way through their first year. I myself changed from Maths & Physics to just Physics at the end of my first year.

I know someone else who changed after a week after starting.

Not sure how to do it before though! As there's UCAS to think about. But I certainly think it's a common thing to do.
Reply 3
I think the general rule about switching courses is that it can be done during the first couple of weeks or just after you receive your results. As long as you meet the entry requirements it all boils down the individual admissions tutor to accept the transfer.

It makes it easier if it's related and/or in the same department or faculty. Going from english to maths for example, probably not so much. Also there has to be space available but there usually is.

Your best bet is to wait until after you receive your results. You'll be in a stronger position. Can't see why they'd say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emiloujess
Hi :smile:

So basically I've had my doubts about my course for a while now (Social Analytics & Politics at Cardiff), most recently because I don't think I'd enjoy a course that has no creativity and Politics with no context to it (eg. I've enjoyed studying Politics in Mexican cinema). I originally chose it because it was strong in research methods and a unique course, but now I'm thinking if the latter is really that important.

I looked at other courses in the same academic school (more out of curiosity than anything) and found one that seems absolutely perfect - Journalism, Media & Sociology. There are elective modules that would let me analyse the reflection of politics in the media like I've done in Film and it has research methods modules that would allow me to keep my options open. I'm already getting excited over it and changing courses may be the motivation I need.

Would Cardiff let me change courses, even after I've firmed it, if I emailed and explained the situation? and who would I have to email as I'm really confused. It's the same entry requirements (ABB) if that makes any difference.

Thank you so much :smile:

Give their admissions department a call, better to try and switch now than later
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Give their admissions department a call, better to try and switch now than later

Thank you! This is what I was thinking, sooner rather than later. Could I email instead though, I have anxiety when it comes to talking on the phone :/ and is it the main admissions department or the School's? :smile:
Thank you! This is what I was thinking, sooner rather than later. Could I email instead though, I have anxiety when it comes to talking on the phone :/ and is it the main admissions department or the School's? :smile:

You d get an answer faster by phone but email if that makes you more comfortable, if both courses are in the same school then try that i think :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
You d get an answer faster by phone but email if that makes you more comfortable, if both courses are in the same school then try that i think :smile:

I've just emailed the main admissions department. (I couldn't find the email for the specific school) I really hope they'll let me! Thanks again for your help :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I've just emailed the main admissions department. (I couldn't find the email for the specific school) I really hope they'll let me! Thanks again for your help :smile:

No problem, glad to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending