The Student Room Group

Question regarding Top Up degree and Diploma in Higher Education

i have been seriously thinking about turning my diploma in higher education (from University of Glasgow) into a degree (accountancy), but the Top Up degree requirements ask for HND, which is supposedly a little better than what i have right now.

Of course there is no harm in applying to all the universities and trying my luck, but realistically do i have a good chance of even being considered when i apply for entry into a Top Up degree program?
Original post by mambojambo75
i have been seriously thinking about turning my diploma in higher education (from University of Glasgow) into a degree (accountancy), but the Top Up degree requirements ask for HND, which is supposedly a little better than what i have right now.

Of course there is no harm in applying to all the universities and trying my luck, but realistically do i have a good chance of even being considered when i apply for entry into a Top Up degree program?

They are both level 5 qualifications I believe so I don't see a massive issue.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
They are both level 5 qualifications I believe so I don't see a massive issue.

you are right. but then why do all the Top Up degree programs (that i have seen) prerequisites ask for HND or Foundation, and not even one mention of DipHE?
you are right. but then why do all the Top Up degree programs (that i have seen) prerequisites ask for HND or Foundation, and not even one mention of DipHE?

As foundations and hnds are normal for people to graduate with whereas diphe are if you discontinue a course I think.

DipHE is an early exit award for people who were aiming for a degree but left early. HNDs and FdAs are freestanding qualifications. Quite often universities offering a top up also offer an HND/FD too - they design the courses to slot together.

With a DipHE You have the same credits at the same levels so it's generally compatable. But your qualification is less common so isn't mentioned.
Reply 5
ok, i get it now. thanks for all the replies, it really cleared all my doubts. was feeling pretty low a couple of hours ago because i thought i had no chance of being taken seriously when i applied, but now it seems like i would be given a fair chance when i apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending