The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan eligibility?

I've lived in the EU for my entire life but I have a UK passport which makes me a UK national. The websites I've looked at have made it very unclear as to if I'm eligible for a maintenance loan as they say they are available to UK nationals but not to EU students. I'm very confused. Does anyone know if I'm eligible or not?
Original post by theKTanator
I've lived in the EU for my entire life but I have a UK passport which makes me a UK national. The websites I've looked at have made it very unclear as to if I'm eligible for a maintenance loan as they say they are available to UK nationals but not to EU students. I'm very confused. Does anyone know if I'm eligible or not?

As far as I can tell, if you are a UK national who moved to the EU (alone or with family), you are entitled to maintenance loans. http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#RL

2. Those who are ‘settled’ in the UK and have exercised a ‘right of residence’ in the EEA/Switzerland
In order to qualify for 'home' fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:

(a) you are settled in the UK; and

(b) you have left the UK and exercised a right of residence having already been settled in the UK;

Note: A right of residence covers those people and their family members who are in the EEA and/or Switzerland as workers or self-employed people, or as students or self-sufficient people and, in all cases, their family members or people who have gone to the state of which they or their family member is a national.
and

(c) you are ordinarily resident in the UK on the day on which the first term of the first academic year actually begins; and

(d) you have been ordinarily resident in the EEA and/or Switzerland and/or the overseas territories for the three years preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; and

(e) in a case where the ordinary residence referred to in (d) above was wholly or mainly for the purposes of receiving full-time education, you have been ordinarily resident in EEA/Switzerland immediately before that three-year period.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending