The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for the loan?

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if, by the time I have started an undergraduate degree course in Italy and I have completed first year, I am still eligible for the student loan?

I read somewhere that the loan is only for students applying for the first time for an undergraduate degree but I can't understand if they mean any course anywhere in the world.

I have another question... if i am eligible is it to take for granted that I am going to receive the loan?

Thank you for your help!
All previous study, no matter where in the world it took place, is relevant when you apply for a UK student loan. If you've only studied for one year at an Italian university, you can still get a full loan to do a degree in the UK. But you must not continue into the second year of your Italian degree if you want to get a loan.

This is the calculation Student Finance use to determine your loan entitlement: length of degree (e.g. 3 years) - previous study (e.g. 1 year) + 'gift' year = 3 years of student loans.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
All previous study, no matter where in the world it took place, is relevant when you apply for a UK student loan. If you've only studied for one year at an Italian university, you can still get a full loan to do a degree in the UK. But you must not continue into the second year of your Italian degree if you want to get a loan.

This is the calculation Student Finance use to determine your loan entitlement: length of degree (e.g. 3 years) - previous study (e.g. 1 year) + 'gift' year = 3 years of student loans.

Thank you! So if my course is 4 years long (it's a sandwich course) can I ask to be covered by the loan for years 1, 2 and then 4 right?
Original post by figureskate
Thank you! So if my course is 4 years long (it's a sandwich course) can I ask to be covered by the loan for years 1, 2 and then 4 right?

Yes.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
Yes.

Last question and them I am done: I was an Exchange Student in Canada last year and I was there with a study permit. On the loan's application they ask me about my residential status for the last 3 years but I did not include my stay in Canada because i was not a resident there, I was just a visitor. Is it right or do I have to write it down on the application?
Original post by figureskate
Last question and them I am done: I was an Exchange Student in Canada last year and I was there with a study permit. On the loan's application they ask me about my residential status for the last 3 years but I did not include my stay in Canada because i was not a resident there, I was just a visitor. Is it right or do I have to write it down on the application?

Not sure, @Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser should know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending