The Student Room Group

Jealous best friend

So I don't have many friends, I have one best friend who I'm very close to but lately I'm finding her to be very annoying. She just gets very jealous over stupid things like if I weigh less than her or if I'm doing better than her in my studies even if I dye my hair. She gets very defensive and tries talking me out of doing things by bringing me down and telling me I'm not good enough. She's also a massive hypocrite but if I call her out she gets upset and overly defensive but when she says horrible things to me it's okay and I'm apparently not allowed to get upset. If I get or do something similar to her by mistake she goes mad and accuses me of copying her when I'm really not, she's even said once by mistake that I can't be better than her in anything. It's come to the point I've stopped telling her my achievements and goals because she will just go into ***** mode. She's one of those people who think they know everything and that they're better than everyone else when they're really just deluded. its just very draining and give sme negative vibes which I don't like. I do love her she's basically my sister but at the same I ****ing can't bear to be around her sometimes, it's just very frustrating. What should I do?
That's not a best friend, a best friend is someone who you can joke with, do anything with but also supports & motivates you. Literally your friend does the exact opposite. Talk to her about this & be very clear, about you feel and hows she acting, that it brings you down too. Otherwise eventually its going to take a big toll on you having to deal with this ****. If she cant change.. well youre gonna have to part ways, even though you may think of her as a sister.

And you said lately.. was she always like this or?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So I don't have many friends, I have one best friend who I'm very close to but lately I'm finding her to be very annoying. She just gets very jealous over stupid things like if I weigh less than her or if I'm doing better than her in my studies even if I dye my hair. She gets very defensive and tries talking me out of doing things by bringing me down and telling me I'm not good enough. She's also a massive hypocrite but if I call her out she gets upset and overly defensive but when she says horrible things to me it's okay and I'm apparently not allowed to get upset. If I get or do something similar to her by mistake she goes mad and accuses me of copying her when I'm really not, she's even said once by mistake that I can't be better than her in anything. It's come to the point I've stopped telling her my achievements and goals because she will just go into ***** mode. She's one of those people who think they know everything and that they're better than everyone else when they're really just deluded. its just very draining and give sme negative vibes which I don't like. I do love her she's basically my sister but at the same I ****ing can't bear to be around her sometimes, it's just very frustrating. What should I do?

My advice would be to sever all ties with her if you can't let it go in one ear and out the other also remember everyone is different .This isn't a rehearsal for life just tell them to f.off when they start

You probs don't want to hear this but you need to cut ties with her. She is toxic and will only ever bring you down. I think she is frightened of you being prettier and smarter than her. If she was a true friend, she would be supportive, instead of competing with you. You deserve better. You "best friend" is insecure, manipulative and selfish.
(edited 7 years ago)
How did you even get attached to your 'best friend' in the first place. It's almost like she's trying to control you, thats not a best friend you have there unfortunately. Maybe it's time to reconsider your friendship.
Reply 5
Original post by ironingplaylist
That's not a best friend, a best friend is someone who you can joke with, do anything with but also supports & motivates you. Literally your friend does the exact opposite. Talk to her about this & be very clear, about you feel and hows she acting, that it brings you down too. Otherwise eventually its going to take a big toll on you having to deal with this ****. If she cant change.. well youre gonna have to part ways, even though you may think of her as a sister.

And you said lately.. was she always like this or?

She wasn't always Like this, just these past two years, I completely agree though she doesn't support me whatsoever.
Reply 6
Original post by JaffaNeko
How did you even get attached to your 'best friend' in the first place. It's almost like she's trying to control you, thats not a best friend you have there unfortunately. Maybe it's time to reconsider your friendship.

Well we went to school together and have been close since but idk what's happend she's just changed for the worse, it's not even just me she's like this with all her friends
Well we went to school together and have been close since but idk what's happend she's just changed for the worse, it's not even just me she's like this with all her friends

Maybe you should confront her about it.
Why are you friends with her?

All I can think of why she has become like this is because something big has happened in the past two years in her life which she had no control over, so she feels now she has to have control. She felt she wasn't good enough then so she has to feel that now by making people feel bad about their self.

Confront and talk to her about if. Maybe something is troubling her for acting out? Explain your feelings because that is important and how if she doesn't change her ways, it will be hard but you'll have to let her out of your life.. What everyone said is right. She's not acting like a real best friend and if you don't do something, your confidence and self esteem is going to take a massive hit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiger Rag
Why are you friends with her?

I'm not the type to let go of relationships easily like I don't want hurt anyone either
Original post by Jammie_x
All I can think of why she has become like this is because something big has happened in the past two years in her life which she had no control over, so she feels now she has to have control. She felt she wasn't good enough then so she has to feel that now by making people feel bad about their self.

Confront and talk to her about if. Maybe something is troubling her for acting out? Explain your feelings because that is important and how if she doesn't change her ways, it will be hard but you'll have to let her out of your life.. What everyone said is right. She's not acting like a real best friend and if you don't do something, your confidence and self esteem is going to take a massive hit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She usually tells me everything so idk but thank you 😊
Hi, the best advice I can give is to cut off your toxic friends, and live your life like they don't exist. No friend or toxic family member is important to take up a chunk of your life like that :smile:
Hi, the best advice I can give is to cut off your toxic friends, and live your life like they don't exist. No friend or toxic family member is important to take up a chunk of your life like that :smile:

Good advice but the threads 6 years old lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending