The Student Room Group

Student Finance Have Changed My Name

I applied using my maiden name. After sending in my marriage certificate someone at Student Finance has changed my name to my husband's surname and my title has been changed to Mrs.

I can't get through to you - lines too busy.

Why would someone change my name without me requesting it, very odd? I'm trying to calm down - it might seem a small thing to some people but not me.

If/When I get through is there going to be problems changing it back? I am worried that this won't be easy.
Original post by AysheaS
I applied using my maiden name. After sending in my marriage certificate someone at Student Finance has changed my name to my husband's surname and my title has been changed to Mrs.

I can't get through to you - lines too busy.

Why would someone change my name without me requesting it, very odd? I'm trying to calm down - it might seem a small thing to some people but not me.

If/When I get through is there going to be problems changing it back? I am worried that this won't be easy.

Seems they made the incorrect assumption that you sending the certificate was you requesting your name be changed, i m sure it ll be easy to change back when you point out you didnt tell them to do it.
Reply 2
Thanks I hope so, just had past experience with other organisation trying to update details and sometimes its a nightmare.
Reply 3
Contacted SF. At first they said that I would need to send in my birth certificate and a letter asking for a change of name. When I asked why as I had only just recieved my birth certificate back was told that it is a different department that deals with name changes. I asked as it was a different department and as I had not requested a name change how come my name was changed. After putting me on hold I was told it was my legal name and they have to use it.

This is incorrect as I have not changed my name to my married name. My legal name is my maiden name.

I said would there be much point in sending in my birth certificate if your insisting my legal name is my husband's. She said I would have to send it in and it would be up to the person who received it as to whether it would be changed or not.

Then I was advised that the name on my college application would need to be the same. And if SF won't change it then the college will have to change to my name to my married name.

At this point I had to hold my anger in. If if change my name with the college then my degree will have my married name on it.

I should not have to change my name just to receive a student loan.

Also they would not accept the person who countersigned my birth certificate. I have now applied for a passport which is in my maiden name. Will SF not accept this because they deem it has the wrong name on it?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AysheaS
Contacted SF. At first they said that I would need to send in my birth certificate and a letter asking for a change of name. When I asked why as I had only just recieved my birth certificate back was told that it is a different department that deals with name changes. I asked as it was a different department and as I had not requested a name change how come my name was changed. After putting me on hold I was told it was my legal name and they have to use it.

This is incorrect as I have not changed my name to my married name. My legal name is my maiden name.

I said would there be much point in sending in my birth certificate if your insisting my legal name is my husband's. She said I would have to send it in and it would be up to the person who received it as to whether it would be changed or not.

Then I was advised that the name on my college application would need to be the same. And if SF won't change it then the college will have to change to my name to my married name.

At this point I had to hold my anger in. If if change my name with the college then my degree will have my married name on it.

I should not have to change my name just to receive a student loan.

Also they would not accept the person who countersigned my birth certificate. I have now applied for a passport which is in my maiden name. Will SF not accept this because they deem it has the wrong name on it?

Hi,

Your name on the passport should mirror the details we have on your account, I think you need to give us a call again to discuss this further, if you do not wish to have your married name on the account then you should not need to have this, again without seeing the account I cannot 100% confirm this.

Thanks.
Reply 5
Thanks for your response.

have already sent my birth certificate back and requested a name change. I have also sent yourselves an email explaining, I pretty much copied what I posted here and included the following:

My legal name is my maiden name. Please see this link:http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/AWomansRightsUponMarriage.html#Intro in particular 2.1 Continue using your maiden name
If you decide to continue using your maiden name, you do not need to do anything following your marriage because you are not changing your legal name.”

If I call yourselves again won't I get the same response? It would be good if there was someone I could speak to higher up. The advisor I spoke to didn't really understand and kept having to put me on hold to speak to someone else, presumably a manager.
Original post by AysheaS
Thanks for your response.

have already sent my birth certificate back and requested a name change. I have also sent yourselves an email explaining, I pretty much copied what I posted here and included the following:

My legal name is my maiden name. Please see this link:http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/AWomansRightsUponMarriage.html#Intro in particular 2.1 Continue using your maiden name
If you decide to continue using your maiden name, you do not need to do anything following your marriage because you are not changing your legal name.”

If I call yourselves again won't I get the same response? It would be good if there was someone I could speak to higher up. The advisor I spoke to didn't really understand and kept having to put me on hold to speak to someone else, presumably a manager.

Hi,

I'm sorry you were not able to have this issue resolved over the phone previously.

It would be best to get back in touch with us again over the phone and if the previous advice you were given was incorrect we will make sure this is rectified. If you are still unhappy with the advice when you get back to us, you are certainly request to speak to a manager about this.

Thanks
Reply 7
I have just received a call from yourselves. Yes the advice I recieved was incorrect and my name has now been changed back. Apparently it could have been sorted on the first phone call and I didn't need to send my birth certificate back in. Also the person who changed it did it without my authorisation which shouldn't have happened.

Apparently this will be fed back to the staff involved so they know for future reference.

Just glad it is sorted now.
Original post by AysheaS
I have just received a call from yourselves. Yes the advice I recieved was incorrect and my name has now been changed back. Apparently it could have been sorted on the first phone call and I didn't need to send my birth certificate back in. Also the person who changed it did it without my authorisation which shouldn't have happened.

Apparently this will be fed back to the staff involved so they know for future reference.

Just glad it is sorted now.

Hi Ayshea,

I'm glad you've been able to get this resolved and I'm sorry for the trouble you've had with it.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending