The Student Room Group

Funding

Hi there,
I was wondering if anybody could help. I attended university after finishing my A Levels and graduated. I had a student loan which I have not had to repay as I only gained low income based employment and being a stay at home mum. I am now 35 and considering going back to uni, but all funding etc has changed. Does anybody no if I can apply for a second student loan as a mature student? I am currently a single parent an unemployed.
Kind regards
Original post by Dionnekelly
Hi there,
I was wondering if anybody could help. I attended university after finishing my A Levels and graduated. I had a student loan which I have not had to repay as I only gained low income based employment and being a stay at home mum. I am now 35 and considering going back to uni, but all funding etc has changed. Does anybody no if I can apply for a second student loan as a mature student? I am currently a single parent an unemployed.
Kind regards

Hi Dionnekelly,

I just need to ask 1 or 2 questions to help you out.

Was your previous student loan an Advanced Learner Loan?
Have you ever studied at degree level before?
What level is the course you'd be doing now? (Degree, Access etc...)

Thank you,

John.
Reply 2
Hi I have no idea in honesty about the loan type. It was just a student loan 3k per year as it was 15 years ago I graduated. I was studying a BA (Hons) degree, which I Graduated without Hons as I had my first child during my finals. The current course I'm thinking of starting is also a BA (Hons) degree. If this helps x
Hi I have no idea in honesty about the loan type. It was just a student loan 3k per year as it was 15 years ago I graduated. I was studying a BA (Hons) degree, which I Graduated without Hons as I had my first child during my finals. The current course I'm thinking of starting is also a BA (Hons) degree. If this helps x

Hi Dionnekelly,

Thanks very much for answering those questions, that definitely helps.

When working out your entitlement to student finance, we take the length of the new course, plus 1 additional year, minus any previous years of study.

The years spent on the previous degree will be classed as previous study when calculating your entitlement to student finance on your new course.

I do have 1 or 2 more questions if that's alright.

How many years did you spend on the previous course?

What subject is the new course?

Thanks again,

John.
Reply 4
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Dionnekelly,

Thanks very much for answering those questions, that definitely helps.

When working out your entitlement to student finance, we take the length of the new course, plus 1 additional year, minus any previous years of study.

The years spent on the previous degree will be classed as previous study when calculating your entitlement to student finance on your new course.

I do have 1 or 2 more questions if that's alright.

How many years did you spend on the previous course?

What subject is the new course?

Thanks again,

John.

I completed the 3 years but as I said gave birth during my dissertation which was quite hectic during your finals also. My new course would be in environmental health, my previous degree was Health studies hope this helps.
I completed the 3 years but as I said gave birth during my dissertation which was quite hectic during your finals also. My new course would be in environmental health, my previous degree was Health studies hope this helps.

Hi DionneKelly,

Thanks again for answering those further questions.

So with that information, this would mean the 3 years on the previous course would be classed as previous study when calculating your entitlement to student finance.

For example, if your new course is 3 years, your funding calculation would be:

3+1-3=1 year of full funding for a 3 year course, which would be paid in the final year.

You would still be able to apply for maintenance loan and supplementary grants (childcare grant, parents learning allowance) in years 1 and 2 but you would have to self fund the tuition fees.

I hope this information helps.

Best wishes,

John.
Reply 6
Original post by John B SFE
Hi DionneKelly,

Thanks again for answering those further questions.

So with that information, this would mean the 3 years on the previous course would be classed as previous study when calculating your entitlement to student finance.

For example, if your new course is 3 years, your funding calculation would be:

3+1-3=1 year of full funding for a 3 year course, which would be paid in the final year.

You would still be able to apply for maintenance loan and supplementary grants (childcare grant, parents learning allowance) in years 1 and 2 but you would have to self fund the tuition fees.

I hope this information helps.

Best wishes,

John.

That's great thank you for your help it's really appreciated.
That's great thank you for your help it's really appreciated.

You're very welcome and best of luck going forward.

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending