The Student Room Group

Tried to report girl to police but I get interrogated?

Scroll to see replies

Man people are coming down on this guy like he's spying on her in her bedroom.
Chill. He doesn't need to be taken to a mental asylum or **** like that.
Original post by Bio 7
Are you really comparing rape and peadophillia to bothering about another persons car? The two are so completely different that you are just making your argument seem trivial and pathetic.

then how about this argument:
you're driving along, just being a generally good driver. youve never had an accident or been caught speeding or anything like that, but then another car rams into the back of you. now this could be a complete accident: maybe they overestimated a turn or just generally accidentally slammed into the back of you, or this could have been because theyre a completely incompetent driver. either way this hit means that you cant drive your car, and when you try to exchange insurance you find that they havent got any
which now means that you have to pay for everything
now call me old fashioned but id much rather the police knew about an uninsured driver before they hit someone rather than after, because they can cost huge amounts of money, potentially take lives, and get themselves in jail when the insurance maybe have been a simple case of forgetting to set it up or something along those lines
was the other posters comparison to paedophilia to far? yeah like if thats their general goalpost for how bad stuff can be then they need to evaluate that, but i just dont think you get the importance of insurance. like at one point over christmas both my parents cars got hit by the same drunk driver, meaning neither of them could get to work since both cars were completely unfit to drive. luckily the drunk driver had insurance, but what if he didnt?
Reply 22
Original post by maggie43
You’re an absolute snitch. What goes around comes around.

Do you think we should be letting drivers flout the law when the vast majority have tax, an MOT, and valid insurance?

If the little lassie in question had a crash, the person she crashed into would have to claim off their own insurance regardless of fault! People who don't pay their tax should be taken off the roads - simple!
Reply 23
Original post by priincee
then how about this argument:
you're driving along, just being a generally good driver. youve never had an accident or been caught speeding or anything like that, but then another car rams into the back of you. now this could be a complete accident: maybe they overestimated a turn or just generally accidentally slammed into the back of you, or this could have been because theyre a completely incompetent driver. either way this hit means that you cant drive your car, and when you try to exchange insurance you find that they havent got any
which now means that you have to pay for everything
now call me old fashioned but id much rather the police knew about an uninsured driver before they hit someone rather than after, because they can cost huge amounts of money, potentially take lives, and get themselves in jail when the insurance maybe have been a simple case of forgetting to set it up or something along those lines
was the other posters comparison to paedophilia to far? yeah like if thats their general goalpost for how bad stuff can be then they need to evaluate that, but i just dont think you get the importance of insurance. like at one point over christmas both my parents cars got hit by the same drunk driver, meaning neither of them could get to work since both cars were completely unfit to drive. luckily the drunk driver had insurance, but what if he didnt?

I'm not saying it's right for them not to go about with no insurance but I was just pointing the original post as being very intrusive into the lives of others. Given the systems in place it slightly annoys me when other people go poking into other people's lives. Just remind the person to get things sorted but reporting them is just involved when it isn't really anything to do with you.
Reply 24
Original post by Bio 7
I'm not saying it's right for them not to go about with no insurance but I was just pointing the original post as being very intrusive into the lives of others. Given the systems in place it slightly annoys me when other people go poking into other people's lives. Just remind the person to get things sorted but reporting them is just involved when it isn't really anything to do with you.

The OP did inform the lass about it, and she didn't pay up. She was flouting the law, and the OP was a good citizen by reporting it. Amongst all the other methods, the DVLA use reports from the public quite extensively when figuring out which cars to clamp.
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
An untaxed car a car that doesn't have MOT or insurance is a danger to the roads and could cost people their lives.
It is the fault of the owner of the car for failing on these matter when it is a legal requirement, if they cannot meet these terms then they should not be driving.
By your logic if I see a child getting raped by a old man I should let him do it and not call the police because it is "not your problem", or "infringing the lives of others" and also "it isn't my job".

You think not taxing your car is as bad as raping a child?

How can you be so obtuse. It’s so nice to know the world is full of such reasonable, nuanced individuals.
Original post by IWMTom
The OP did inform the lass about it, and she didn't pay up. She was flouting the law, and the OP was a good citizen by reporting it. Amongst all the other methods, the DVLA use reports from the public quite extensively when figuring out which cars to clamp.

She wasn’t being a good citizen, she’s doing this as a form of vendetta. If she liked the girl and didn’t “have beef” with her, do you actually believe she would report it?
Reply 27
Original post by Waldorf67
She wasn’t being a good citizen, she’s doing this as a form of vendetta. If she liked the girl and didn’t “have beef” with her, do you actually believe she would report it?

Their reasons for reporting it are wholly irrelevant - the DVLA need to be informed, and the OP has done their civil duty.
Original post by IWMTom
Their reasons for reporting it are wholly irrelevant - the DVLA need to be informed, and the OP has done their civil duty.

It’s civic duty. And it is most definitely not a civic duty to report others who do not tax their vehicles.
It's because what you're doing is unusual. Most people don't care about this sort of thing. My dad checks reg plates of cars that have been left in our street for weeks and even if something shows up, he just moves on with life and doesn't report it. Your dedication to report her is a little odd. Maybe find a hobby?

It says here that you can only report it if it's being driven, not if it's parked - https://www.gov.uk/report-no-mot
For tax - https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle
Even if you report it, what are you hoping will happen? You may report her and the DVLA may just send her a reminder or urge her to tax it, but you won't know what's happening behind the scenes anyway? There's also random check tax vehicles that appear on carriageways so sometimes it's unavoidable for people to be caught out. Just let things happen in their own due course.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So there is this girl that I didn't get on with years back but haven't really had any beef with her recently. Anyway I like finding out the history and specs on people's cars, and her car has been untaxed for over a year, and no MOT for months as well.

She drives it (or at least I assume so because I once saw her in a driving lesson, and the car seems to be randomly moved when I walk past her house from school)

I had let her know that she hadn't any tax (DVLA makes mistakes, yaknow?) about 6 months ago or something? Anyway she didn't act on it. I just randomly decided to check her reg plate yesterday and *boom* I saw the horror.

Reported it to the police on 101 as instructed by the DVLA website and the guy first said it wasn't a police matter and it was for the DVLA. I tried to tell him the DVLA themselves said it wasn't for them and had instructed me to ring 101. Then he tries taking down the details of her address and my address which I give but he then he keeps questioning me about why I am checking people's reg plates, if I check her plates often etc. etc. and I know he is trying to get me to slip up and make me out to be a stalker. Okay not a normal activity but I'm not stalking anyone! He keeps on being quite unfair, making *ME* out to be in the wrong when I'm trying to do the right thing.

Then he asks for her reg plate and I didn't want to fall into his trap because I knew he was trying so hard to make it seem like I am a stalker.

So now I feel really awful, I'm worried the police are going to come for me, and a dangerous driver IS NOT HAVING ANY JUSTICE!!!!!!

Why do you think you can now get your tax without showing insurance as you used to have to do? Because a driver, safe or unsafe off the road gets in the way of making money. This is a business, not a civilised country. An uninsured crash and the innocent driver has to borrow money because they get nothing. Perfect! The only thing that is desired. Just get them in debt, anyway possible. Who? Everyone!
Why do you regularly check the reg plates of peoples cars? Especially someone you have a bad history with.

At best it’s petty, at worst stalkerish and malicious.
Reply 32
Original post by hannxm
Even if you report it, what are you hoping will happen? You may report her and the DVLA may just send her a reminder or urge her to tax it, but you won't know what's happening behind the scenes anyway?

In my experience (reported a vehicle on my road) the DVLA will come round and clamp the vehicle if it's parked on the public road - reports like the OPs add to the daily list of vehicles to check on.

It’s civic duty. And it is most definitely not a civic duty to report others who do not tax their vehicles.

Alright mate, let's just let people drive around uninsured, yeah? How the OP got to know that there wasn't tax on the vehicle doesn't matter; they did the right thing by reporting it.
Original post by IWMTom
In my experience (reported a vehicle on my road) the DVLA will come round and clamp the vehicle if it's parked on the public road - reports like the OPs add to the daily list of vehicles to check on.

It literally says on the DVLA page that not all vehicles reported will be clamped and again, you have to have seen it being driven to report it.
@AngryJellyfish - C&M please :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by hannxm
It literally says on the DVLA page that not all vehicles reported will be clamped and again, you have to have seen it being driven to report it.

Not all, but it's often the case when the vehicle is actually untaxed.

A vehicle does not have to be driven to be reported.. not sure where you're getting that one from.

Reply 37
Original post by RoyalSheepy
@AngryJellyfish - C&M please :smile:

Perhaps someone could look at the Today on TSR widget, because this thread is down as "Was I right to report my friend to the police?" - I'm pretty certain OP didn't report their friend!
Original post by IWMTom
Not all, but it's often the case when the vehicle is actually untaxed.

A vehicle does not have to be driven to be reported.. not sure where you're getting that one from.

In the link I shared in my original post you responded to.

"You can only report a vehicle with no MOT if it’s being driven. You can’t report it if it’s parked on the road."
https://www.gov.uk/report-no-mot

With an untaxed vehicle, then you can report it for just being on a public road.
Good on you OP, law breakers should be punished. He’s hardly a snitch for reporting somebody doing something illegal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending