The Student Room Group

Cancer Support Society

Nearly 40% of people will be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their lives, and even more of us will be affected by it indirectly, be it through friends or family. Whether you have cancer yourself, or someone close to you does, it can be an incredibly difficult thing to go through, especially if you don't have anyone around you that fully understands what you're dealing with.

So whether you want to talk, advise, or even just vent, this thread is here as a channel to discuss things in, and to find support if you need it.

Looking for support or guidance?

Contact Macmillan on 0808 808 00 00, or email them here. You can also find support groups in your local area.

Cancer Research UK also lists a number of different support organisations and their contact details here.

Scroll to see replies

This is a great idea :smile:

My mum has been diagnosed with cancer twice in the last two years (different ones). She's currently in hospital recovering from a stem cell donation for leukaemia, which she got diagnosed with last May
Original post by Anonymous

My mum has been diagnosed with cancer twice in the last two years (different ones). She's currently in hospital recovering from a stem cell donation for leukaemia, which she got diagnosed with last May

That's such a horrible situation, especially for it to have happened twice in such a short space of time. Is her recovery going well so far?
Original post by shadowdweller
That's such a horrible situation, especially for it to have happened twice in such a short space of time. Is her recovery going well so far?

She seems to be but it's a slow process. She'll have regular tests at the hospital for the next few months and if she gets even the slightest bit ill there's a chance she will have to go back to hospital
Wow I didn't realise the percentage was so high! :eek:

Subbing as I've had family/friends affected - here to chat to anyone :smile:

:hugs:

What was the process of it being diagnosed?
Reply 6
This is an excellent idea!

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015 (and beat it, she's still in remission although she still takes medication for it). Around if anyone needs to talk. :yep:
Original post by Pathway
This is an excellent idea!

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015 (and beat it, she's still in remission although she still takes medication for it). Around if anyone needs to talk. :yep:

If you don't mind me asking, what treatment did she have?

Glad to hear she's in remission :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by BurstingBubbles
If you don't mind me asking, what treatment did she have?

Glad to hear she's in remission :smile:

She had a course of radiotherapy and two operations (the first didn't get clear margins, so she had to have a second to get them). She currently takes tamoxifen to prevent it coming back as the tumour had markers on it (I don't really understand the science behind this :dontknow: ). But she's mostly OK now apart from getting pretty severe cold urticaria from the tamoxifen (which is a problem with this weather!).
Original post by BurstingBubbles
:hugs:

What was the process of it being diagnosed?

The breast cancer was just found through a routine mammogram (it was too small to feel at the stage it was found). The leukaemia was found as she was having regular blood tests for an issue with her white blood cell count anyway, and the results were different to her normal ones
any testicular cancer mandem in here?
Original post by anythinggoeshere
any testicular cancer mandem in here?

Really sorry to hear if you’re going through this yourself - have you had any treatment for it?
My Grandad just had his third cancer diagnosis and I just feel sick.
It just keeps coming back and it’s not fair
Really sorry to hear if you’re going through this yourself - have you had any treatment for it?

yh had testicle removed chemo and RPLND in january all clear atm
yh had testicle removed chemo and RPLND in january all clear atm

I'm really glad to hear you're all clear - do you have to have any further treatment, or just checkups from now on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pugglet
My Grandad just had his third cancer diagnosis and I just feel sick.
It just keeps coming back and it’s not fair

It's definitely not fair, and I'm really sorry it's happened to him again :hugs:

What's the outlook like, can it be treated fully again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel as if these cancer research charitys do not do any were near enough to prevent it never mind cure it. Studies have proven that cancer is linked to what you eat such as: breast cancer = drinking cows milk, prostate and ovarian cancer = eating processed meat + eggs, no need for a cure when you can prevent it all together no disrespect to any people who have had to go through dealing with cancer or family members with it, my grandad has had a few prostate cancer scares, luckily enough it wasn't cancer but he had to go through his wife dying from cancer due to smoking. Preventation is the cure and food the medicine.
I'm really glad to hear you're all clear - do you have to have any further treatment, or just checkups from now on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

just check ups every 3 months
just check ups every 3 months

That's positive, at least! I hope things continue to stay clear for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel as if these cancer research charitys do not do any were near enough to prevent it never mind cure it. Studies have proven that cancer is linked to what you eat such as: breast cancer = drinking cows milk, prostate and ovarian cancer = eating processed meat + eggs, no need for a cure when you can prevent it all together no disrespect to any people who have had to go through dealing with cancer or family members with it, my grandad has had a few prostate cancer scares, luckily enough it wasn't cancer but he had to go through his wife dying from cancer due to smoking. Preventation is the cure and food the medicine.

Lots of healthy people get cancer, and cancer charities are massive, be grateful such well funded well known charities for cancer exist in the first place since it's not like that for a lot of other conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest