• PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Nearly 40% of people will be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their lives, and even more of us will be affected by it indirectly, be it through friends or family. Whether you have cancer yourself, or someone close to you does, it can be an incredibly difficult thing to go through, especially if you don't have anyone around you that fully understands what you're dealing with.

So whether you want to talk, advise, or even just vent, this thread is here as a channel to discuss things in, and to find support if you need it.

Looking for support or guidance?
    • Contact Macmillan on 0808 808 00 00, or email them here. You can also find support groups in your local area.
    • Cancer Research UK also lists a number of different support organisations and their contact details here.

This is a great idea

My mum has been diagnosed with cancer twice in the last two years (different ones). She's currently in hospital recovering from a stem cell donation for leukaemia, which she got diagnosed with last May
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is a great idea

My mum has been diagnosed with cancer twice in the last two years (different ones). She's currently in hospital recovering from a stem cell donation for leukaemia, which she got diagnosed with last May
    That's such a horrible situation, especially for it to have happened twice in such a short space of time. Is her recovery going well so far?

(Original post by shadowdweller)
    That's such a horrible situation, especially for it to have happened twice in such a short space of time. Is her recovery going well so far?
    She seems to be but it's a slow process. She'll have regular tests at the hospital for the next few months and if she gets even the slightest bit ill there's a chance she will have to go back to hospital
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Wow I didn't realise the percentage was so high! :eek:

Subbing as I've had family/friends affected - here to chat to anyone
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    This is a great idea

:hugs:

What was the process of it being diagnosed?

ReputationRep:
    This is an excellent idea!

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015 (and beat it, she's still in remission although she still takes medication for it). Around if anyone needs to talk. :yep:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Pathway)
    This is an excellent idea!

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015 (and beat it, she's still in remission although she still takes medication for it). Around if anyone needs to talk. :yep:
    If you don't mind me asking, what treatment did she have?

Glad to hear she's in remission

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    If you don't mind me asking, what treatment did she have?

Glad to hear she's in remission
    She had a course of radiotherapy and two operations (the first didn't get clear margins, so she had to have a second to get them). She currently takes tamoxifen to prevent it coming back as the tumour had markers on it (I don't really understand the science behind this :dontknow: ). But she's mostly OK now apart from getting pretty severe cold urticaria from the tamoxifen (which is a problem with this weather!).

(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    :hugs:

What was the process of it being diagnosed?
    The breast cancer was just found through a routine mammogram (it was too small to feel at the stage it was found). The leukaemia was found as she was having regular blood tests for an issue with her white blood cell count anyway, and the results were different to her normal ones

ReputationRep:
    any testicular cancer mandem in here?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by anythinggoeshere)
    any testicular cancer mandem in here?
    Really sorry to hear if you’re going through this yourself - have you had any treatment for it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    My Grandad just had his third cancer diagnosis and I just feel sick.
    It just keeps coming back and it’s not fair

ReputationRep:
    Really sorry to hear if you’re going through this yourself - have you had any treatment for it?
    yh had testicle removed chemo and RPLND in january all clear atm
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    yh had testicle removed chemo and RPLND in january all clear atm
    I'm really glad to hear you're all clear - do you have to have any further treatment, or just checkups from now on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Pugglet)
    My Grandad just had his third cancer diagnosis and I just feel sick.
    It just keeps coming back and it’s not fair
    It's definitely not fair, and I'm really sorry it's happened to him again :hugs:

What's the outlook like, can it be treated fully again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel as if these cancer research charitys do not do any were near enough to prevent it never mind cure it. Studies have proven that cancer is linked to what you eat such as: breast cancer = drinking cows milk, prostate and ovarian cancer = eating processed meat + eggs, no need for a cure when you can prevent it all together no disrespect to any people who have had to go through dealing with cancer or family members with it, my grandad has had a few prostate cancer scares, luckily enough it wasn't cancer but he had to go through his wife dying from cancer due to smoking. Preventation is the cure and food the medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really glad to hear you're all clear - do you have to have any further treatment, or just checkups from now on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    just check ups every 3 months
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    just check ups every 3 months
    That's positive, at least! I hope things continue to stay clear for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I feel as if these cancer research charitys do not do any were near enough to prevent it never mind cure it. Studies have proven that cancer is linked to what you eat such as: breast cancer = drinking cows milk, prostate and ovarian cancer = eating processed meat + eggs, no need for a cure when you can prevent it all together no disrespect to any people who have had to go through dealing with cancer or family members with it, my grandad has had a few prostate cancer scares, luckily enough it wasn't cancer but he had to go through his wife dying from cancer due to smoking. Preventation is the cure and food the medicine.
    Lots of healthy people get cancer, and cancer charities are massive, be grateful such well funded well known charities for cancer exist in the first place since it's not like that for a lot of other conditions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.