The Student Room Group

Funding for second part time degree

Hello, I have been trying to find out what funding is available for a second degree. I believe funding is now available for certain courses if they are studied part time. I contacted Student England by phone and asked if a maintenance and fee loan could be available for a part time course specific course. I was told that it would be possible to apply if the course had a "JACS" code that included the following letters - HIJBCDFG. I asked if the JACS code was the same as the UCAS code that is given with course information and was told that it was something different. I was advised to contact the University and ask them for the JACS code of the course I was interested in to determine if funding would be available. When I did this I was passed between lots of different departments and no one could give this information.

So all very confusing. My question is how can I find a list of part time courses that can be studied with funding as a second degree?
Some universities have a list of them on their website. The Open University has a list of applicable courses, for example.This website - https://www.hesa.ac.uk/support/documentation/jacs/jacs3-principal - gives some information about the different JACS codes. I think that any accredited course which has a code starting with B, C, D, F, G, H, I or J on that list would be eligible for a tuition fee loan even if you already have a degree. I'm not sure how to find out the JACS code for a specific course, though, sorry! :-( Which university are you looking at?
Original post by Cas22
Hello, I have been trying to find out what funding is available for a second degree. I believe funding is now available for certain courses if they are studied part time. I contacted Student England by phone and asked if a maintenance and fee loan could be available for a part time course specific course. I was told that it would be possible to apply if the course had a "JACS" code that included the following letters - HIJBCDFG. I asked if the JACS code was the same as the UCAS code that is given with course information and was told that it was something different. I was advised to contact the University and ask them for the JACS code of the course I was interested in to determine if funding would be available. When I did this I was passed between lots of different departments and no one could give this information.

So all very confusing. My question is how can I find a list of part time courses that can be studied with funding as a second degree?

Hi, what subject are you looking to study for your second degree?

Regards, Aisha.
Reply 3
Hi Aisha, The course I'm interested in is F900 Environmental Science part time. Would I be able to get a loan to cover course fees and maintenance? I already have an honours degree.Thank you for your help.
Original post by Cas22
Hi Aisha, The course I'm interested in is F900 Environmental Science part time. Would I be able to get a loan to cover course fees and maintenance? I already have an honours degree.Thank you for your help.

Hi, as you already have a degree qualification we wouldn't fund you for your second degree in that subject.

Regards, Aisha.
Reply 5
Hi, Thank you for the reply. I'm disappointed and confused because I believed I could be funded for this subject because it's code started with an "F" and this was one of the letters Student Finance England told me indicated could be funded.

Can you answer my original question? How can I find a list of courses that I could study part time with funding? There appears no clear way of identifying them.

Regards Cas
Original post by Cas22
Hi, Thank you for the reply. I'm disappointed and confused because I believed I could be funded for this subject because it's code started with an "F" and this was one of the letters Student Finance England told me indicated could be funded.

Can you answer my original question? How can I find a list of courses that I could study part time with funding? There appears no clear way of identifying them.

Regards Cas

Hi Cas22

Students could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time Honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in one of the following:

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)

Biological Sciences (C)

Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects (D)

Physical Sciences (F)

Mathematical Sciences (G)

If the course JACS code begins with any letter other than (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G) it does not qualify as a part time ELQ exception. If a course has multiple JACS codes all of them have to start with one of the above letters for the course to qualify as an ELQ exception.

Thanks
Gerard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending