The Student Room Group

21 Day Combined Pill Effectiveness

Hello,

I've been taking the 21 day combined pill. I didn't have unprotected sex during the first pack. I have started the second pack after a 7 day break. I have taken the pills the same time every day and started the second pack on time.

My questions:

1) Am I protected during the 7 day break?

2) Now I've started the second pack, do I have to wait 7 days before I'm protected again?

3) I've been taking the pill perfectly (I think). I take no other medications, have taken it the same time everyday, haven't been sick, haven't skipped a pill, don't smoke, don't drink excessively, I'm not overweight etc. Yet all the sources I've seen say there is still a possibility I could get pregnant. Would someone be able to explain how I could get pregnant with perfect pill usage?

Thanks for the help.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I've been taking the 21 day combined pill. I didn't have unprotected sex during the first pack. I have started the second pack after a 7 day break. I have taken the pills the same time every day and started the second pack on time.

My questions:

1) Am I protected during the 7 day break?

2) Now I've started the second pack, do I have to wait 7 days before I'm protected again?

3) I've been taking the pill perfectly (I think). I take no other medications, have taken it the same time everyday, haven't been sick, haven't skipped a pill, don't smoke, don't drink excessively, I'm not overweight etc. Yet all the sources I've seen say there is still a possibility I could get pregnant. Would someone be able to explain how I could get pregnant with perfect pill usage?

Thanks for the help.

You're protected during the break. You're protected straight away with the second pack.

There's a risk you could get pregnant because you're having sex. No contraception is 100% effective. Your chances of getting pregnant are very slim if you've been taking it right, but it doesn't mean you're totally infertile.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
You're protected during the break. You're protected straight away with the second pack.

There's a risk you could get pregnant because you're having sex. No contraception is 100% effective. Your chances of getting pregnant are very slim if you've been taking it right, but it doesn't mean you're totally infertile.

Thanks for the response. So if I know I've been taking it perfectly, it shouldn't be paranoid about getting pregnant?
You're protected all the time (including during the break and straight after) if you take your pills correctly. It's only if you miss a pill or 2 during the pack that you need extra contraception for 7 days (look in the leaflet for more information on this).

No contraception is 100% effective, that's how you could still get pregnant. It's rare, but it can happen, even with perfect use.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the response. So if I know I've been taking it perfectly, it shouldn't be paranoid about getting pregnant?

Yeah, there's no need to be worried considering you're taking it correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest