The Student Room Group

I am Muslim but I don’t believe supposedly ‘religious’ people will go to heaven

This is something that has been bothering me. I’ve met some really rude and you could say abusive Muslim girls who came across as practicing Muslims as they dressed modestly. They treated me like complete s**** in college and I will be seriously pissed off if they end up in heaven and the lovely, kind non Muslims that I’ve met in my lifetime end up in hell. I know it’s weird that I am this concerned about the afterlife and I should be focusing on the here and now but it bothers me. I feel like Allah or God or whatever higher power is out there should punish according to what type of person you are, your character and how you treat others. Can anyone else relate to this situation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel that the way people treat you sticks with you even if those people are no longer in your life. Hence why I’m still talking about these people. It was a year of bullying and ill never forget how those girls treated me. On top of that I feel that I have been abused by family members. All these abusive people happen to be ‘Muslims’ and I seriously doubt that Allah/God/the Lord will put these people in heaven. It just isn’t fair when there are so many decent, loving and good people out there but just happen to not be Muslim. I guess we’ll see what happens when we all die.
And those muslim girls had no reason to treat you like ****? Ok well god teaches us to be kind so like theyre not exactly impressing God, are they? Only god knows
Reply 3
Original post by Rainfall
And those muslim girls had no reason to treat you like ****? Ok well god teaches us to be kind so like theyre not exactly impressing God, are they? Only god knows

I did nothing wrong to them or at least I don’t think I did. They took every chance to make me feel like s****. I think they knew they were in the wrong but continued regardless. One of them even apologised one time but then said something like it’s my fault for not speaking up and ignoring her treatment. I ignored them when they used to say horrible things to me rather than react.
As someone who is an atheist and doesn’t necessarily believe in a heaven / hell, the idea that your religious faith alone, not your actions, determines where you end up seems - entirely the opposite of what the core of most religion is meant to be about.

Why bother being kind if you’ll just end up in heaven anyway? Seems counter productive.
Reply 5
Original post by FloralHybrid
As someone who is an atheist and doesn’t necessarily believe in a heaven / hell, the idea that your religious faith alone, not your actions, determines where you end up seems - entirely the opposite of what the core of most religion is meant to be about.

Why bother being kind if you’ll just end up in heaven anyway? Seems counter productive.

I’m not sure i understand what you’re trying to say with that question at the end there. But I have heard from some people from the Islamic faith that you have to be a Muslim to go to heaven. So you have to proclaim that you believe in Allah and Muhammad pbuh as the last prophet. Don’t get me wrong, I am a Muslim myself and I would say a practicing Muslim for sure and am quite informed on my Religon. I know that actions determine where you end up. But what is confusing me is the fact that seriously abusive and rude people who seem to practice the Religon could potentially go to heaven but good people who do not practice it may go to hell. I personally don’t believe Allah would let that happen but it kinda annoys me to hear that you have to proclaim the testimony of faith to make it to heaven.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
This is something that has been bothering me. I’ve met some really rude and you could say abusive Muslim girls who came across as practicing Muslims as they dressed modestly. They treated me like complete s**** in college and I will be seriously pissed off if they end up in heaven and the lovely, kind non Muslims that I’ve met in my lifetime end up in hell. I know it’s weird that I am this concerned about the afterlife and I should be focusing on the here and now but it bothers me. I feel like Allah or God or whatever higher power is out there should punish according to what type of person you are, your character and how you treat others. Can anyone else relate to this situation?

Yes... by your deeds shall you be judged thus making all religions equally valid. At core, orthodox religions just want to drum up membership. They can only achieve that by saying we're right and all the rest are wrong which is the root cause of religious conflict.
(edited 5 years ago)
The reason it is bothering you is because you see the inherent contradiction in your faith atheism.
I’m not sure i understand what you’re trying to say with that question at the end there. But I have heard from some people from the Islamic faith that you have to be a Muslim to go to heaven. So you have to proclaim that you believe in Allah and Muhammad pbuh as the last prophet. Don’t get me wrong, I am a Muslim myself and I would say a practicing Muslim for sure and am quite informed on my Religon. I know that actions determine where you end up. But what is confusing me is the fact that seriously abusive and rude people who seem to practice the Religon could potentially go to heaven but good people who do not practice it may go to hell. I personally don’t believe Allah would let that happen but it kinda annoys me to hear that you have to proclaim the testimony of faith to make it to heaven.

Rhetorical question - I mean that if people believe that their own religion gets them into heaven, regardless of how well they “follow” it, it surely defeats the purpose.
Reply 9
Original post by karl pilkington
The reason it is bothering you is because you see the inherent contradiction in your faith atheism.

My faith is not atheism. I’m not sure what you mean.
I thought this a lot when I was Muslim. I don't know what to say, don't think you'll find a good answer. Maybe ask other Muslims what they think?

I left Islam so I can't really give the best advice since I know you are not interested in atheism. I understand your point of view, but I think religion is more than belief and good character is a very important concept in Islam. If these girls really cared about religion, they wouldn't treat you like that. To me they are just showing off to their friends and family, but not really putting it into practice.

Anyway, I don't know what else to say because I no longer believe in Islam (agnostic) but I hope you do find something that satisfies you.
Original post by Obolinda
I thought this a lot when I was Muslim. I don't know what to say, don't think you'll find a good answer. Maybe ask other Muslims what they think?

Did you really? So you can relate a bit? Why are you no longer a Muslim if you don’t mind me asking?
I meant you need to turn to atheism.
Did you really? So you can relate a bit? Why are you no longer a Muslim if you don’t mind me asking?

Faith just didn't make logical sense to me anymore. Don't really wanna get into it.

I can relate yes.
Original post by chelseagirl2002
I left Islam so I can't really give the best advice since I know you are not interested in atheism. I understand your point of view, but I think religion is more than belief and good character is a very important concept in Islam. If these girls really cared about religion, they wouldn't treat you like that. To me they are just showing off to their friends and family, but not really putting it into practice.

Anyway, I don't know what else to say because I no longer believe in Islam (agnostic) but I hope you do find something that satisfies you.

Thank you. I feel very confused about everything. It’s very weird to me that they take the effort to dress modestly and take on the identity of a Muslim, yet treat people so horribly. I believe the term for them is a walking contradiction.

May I ask why you are no longer a follower of the Islamic faith please?
Some of us non-Muslims subscribe to the belief that we should forgive each other before we can expect God to forgive us. You should maybe work on your ability to forgive others. It's hard, it might take a lifetime to learn, but it's possible and always worth trying.

Christian faith shows the love of God as like the unconditional love of a mother. All sincere apologies are accepted. Does Islam not teach the same?
Original post by Tootles
Some of us non-Muslims subscribe to the belief that we should forgive each other before we can expect God to forgive us. You should maybe work on your ability to forgive others. It's hard, it might take a lifetime to learn, but it's possible and always worth trying.

Christian faith shows the love of God as like the unconditional love of a mother. All sincere apologies are accepted. Does Islam not teach the same?

That’s a good point that you have raised. Islam teaches the exact same thing. In fact the love of Allah God) is said to be greater than the love that a mother has for her child. I suppose you are right and I think Islam does teach us to forgive each other but like you said it is hard. Maybe ii could forgive those girls. But then there are other people who I feel like are abusive to a degree that is unacceptable. Plus I know that people don’t really change. If you’re a bad person you’re always gonna be a bad person I think.
That’s a good point that you have raised. Islam teaches the exact same thing. In fact the love of Allah God) is said to be greater than the love that a mother has for her child. I suppose you are right and I think Islam does teach us to forgive each other but like you said it is hard. Maybe ii could forgive those girls. But then there are other people who I feel like are abusive to a degree that is unacceptable. Plus I know that people don’t really change. If you’re a bad person you’re always gonna be a bad person I think.
I said like the unconditional love of a mother - God's love is going to be deeper, by definition.

Feel free to PM me if you like.
Thank you. I feel very confused about everything. It’s very weird to me that they take the effort to dress modestly and take on the identity of a Muslim, yet treat people so horribly. I believe the term for them is a walking contradiction.

May I ask why you are no longer a follower of the Islamic faith please?

In this case, God will have a punishment for them unless they repent.

I no longer follow the faith for many reasons. I used to be really devout and believed in Allah and always did my research. But as I was gaining more knowledge, things in the Quran didn't make sense. I guess it was more than the the Quran but somehow I left, not because I wanted to be free, but the idea of religion made no sense to me. Like there are so many non-religious people that do amazing things, but to even think about these people going to Hell did question me deeply on whether your beliefs define you as a person. Leaving Islam for me didn't take a day for me. It was more like a year. When I turned 14, I became a Quranist (didn't believe in anything but the Quran- no hadiths or sunnahs) and then a year later I just left the faith. Now it's been over a year since leaving Islam and I don't see myself going back. Btw I haven't told my family.

So that is a brief summary of why I left . Like I said before, there were many reasons to why I left and I can't pinpoint one specific reason. And also this is my personal opinion, so I'm fine if you do not agree :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending