The Student Room Group

Coronavirus. I’m too scared to go outside

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I saw somewhere that 2000 people from wuhan have arrived in the U.K. in the past week or 2 weeks.

And only around 100 of those people have been tested for the virus. And thankfully it was -ve.

I feel like the only thing I can do at the moment is buy a face mask, stay away from humans and strengthen my immune system by drinking my vitamins.

But the thing is I have so much anxiety that im too scared to wear a face mask outside because ppl will think I’m weird. But I’ve got to suck it up and just wear it for protection.

I’m fracking scared

This is why the chinese goverment wont report the exact number of people infected, afraid that it will create mass paranoia and make the situation even worse. Just follow the precaution and youll be safe
You do realise that half a million people die of simple flu each year, yes?

That’s 500,000 vs 106.
Original post by Etomidate
You do realise that half a million people die of simple flu each year, yes?

That’s 500,000 vs 106.

Just this morning; more than 6,000 people infected and 138 dead
I saw somewhere that 2000 people from wuhan have arrived in the U.K. in the past week or 2 weeks.

And only around 100 of those people have been tested for the virus. And thankfully it was -ve.

I feel like the only thing I can do at the moment is buy a face mask, stay away from humans and strengthen my immune system by drinking my vitamins.

But the thing is I have so much anxiety that im too scared to wear a face mask outside because ppl will think I’m weird. But I’ve got to suck it up and just wear it for protection.

I’m fracking scared

Don't be ridiculous. The winter flu virus kills more people than coronsvirus ever will. If you listen to virologists they will confirm this.
How have you avoided norovirus. Did Bird flu get you. SARS? Ebola?.....

Just wash your hands thoroughly. Don't travel in small spaces and get a life. Please.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Don't be ridiculous. The winter flu virus kills more people than coronsvirus ever will. If you listen to virologists they will confirm this.

Just wash your hands thoroughly. Don't travel in small spaces and get a life. Please.

:colondollar:
Well the coronavirus has officially infected more people than the SARs virus but has a lower death rate. I’m thinking that it’s one of those viruses that’s easy to infect but hard to cause death.

148 dead
Over 6,000 infected
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 26
You can see a “live” map here although I’m not sure how often it gets updated:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
Reply 27
Original post by squeakysquirrel

Not to encourage anxiety, but the death rate of the flu is lower. Right now though only around 200 out of 8000 have died, more of these 8000 will probably die. Only those who have recovered can be compared to those who have died to determine fatality rate.

SARS came at a time where there was less travel in the world, there were 8000 cases over a year yet there have been more cases of Coronavirus in a month.
Ebola originated in Africa, and very few people travelled with it and it was much less infectious. The novel Coronavirus can spread during its incubation period and it has affected countries where people travel a lot.

Of course it’s important to remember that the flu is dangerous and we see it as a normal thing, to help ease anxiety, but the novel Coronavirus is more deadly (but more so for older people and those already in poor health). The flu is present nationally already so more cases are to be expected. This new virus started in one area and has already infected many.

Stress weakens the immune system, so try not to worry yet. No British cases have been confirmed as of now.
Unless your elderly or have a comprised immune system you will probably be fine anyway.

I’m fracking scared

the mask does nothing. the virus can get through the mask easily. more people die from the flu every year than this.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Greywolftwo
Well the coronavirus has officially infected more people than the SARs virus but has a lower death rate. I’m thinking that it’s one of those viruses that’s easy to infect but hard to cause death.

148 dead
Over 6,000 infected

I reckon the death rate will increase as many of these infected people will be in critical condition and will eventually die. However with luck it will keep to around <5% rather than the 10% that SARS had. I expect more deaths will come from the new Coronavirus since it spreads so easily and international travelling is much more frequent now, and more people are already infected in a month than with SARS over a year, but the mortality rate should hopefully be lower.

The chances of the new virus affecting the U.K. is much higher. Only 4 cases of SARS, but with travelling nowadays and the new virus being more infectious, there will probably be many more of the new virus.
I heard the mortality rate was 2%. That is two out of a hundred people that contract it die. That can't be that different from the rates of normal influenza and that normally kills the elderly and people with other problems. Just relax.
Presumably you have gone outside at least once during winter flu season, why is this any different.
Original post by anonymoustony
the mask does nothing. the virus can get through the mask easily.

:ditto:
Reply 34

I’m fracking scared

Where are you getting this info from? Look into credible sources as there is a lot of misinformation spreading on Twitter for example (a post with the highest number of retweets is not the most accurate one)
Credible sources:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html

I wouldnt recommend a face mask as its not the most effective. Flimsy surgical masks are too loose to block all particles out.
Original post by Em.-.
I reckon the death rate will increase as many of these infected people will be in critical condition and will eventually die. However with luck it will keep to around <5% rather than the 10% that SARS had. I expect more deaths will come from the new Coronavirus since it spreads so easily and international travelling is much more frequent now, and more people are already infected in a month than with SARS over a year, but the mortality rate should hopefully be lower.

The chances of the new virus affecting the U.K. is much higher. Only 4 cases of SARS, but with travelling nowadays and the new virus being more infectious, there will probably be many more of the new virus.

Yes well since writing that over 200 people have died and nearly 9,000 are infected and that’s just what is being reported, there are probably a lot more deaths and infected than what’s currently being reported
Original post by A_J_B
Where are you getting this info from? Look into credible sources as there is a lot of misinformation spreading on Twitter for example (a post with the highest number of retweets is not the most accurate one)
Credible sources:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html

I wouldnt recommend a face mask as its not the most effective. Flimsy surgical masks are too loose to block all particles out.

Industrial face masks help, if you have one of those flimsy ones and you scratch your nose then you will let the virus in
Original post by Leviathan1611
does death scare you that much?

Good question.
Reply 38
Original post by Greywolftwo
Yes well since writing that over 200 people have died and nearly 9,000 are infected and that’s just what is being reported, there are probably a lot more deaths and infected than what’s currently being reported

Yep. Even after the outbreak the real numbers won’t likely be known, however until then there won’t be an official mortality rate. It’s better at the moment to compare both critical conditions and deaths with the total number of infections to determine severity, though again the real numbers for these can’t really be known.
Original post by anonymoustony
the mask does nothing. the virus can get through the mask easily. more people die from the flu every year than this.

Really? The mask with also eye wear protection would protect someone ?

Quick Reply

Latest