The Student Room Group

Sister is going against religion?

As a Muslim, I believe I should be buried as a whole body, no organs donated. I opted out of the nhs organ donor register. I told my sister and asked her if she is as well? She said no, she would rather donate her organs if it helps someone stay alive. Whilst it is her choice, would it be rude of me to disagree, and if it isn't how would I go about it? TBH, I'm just shocked at her views really, but have better things to worry about.

Scroll to see replies

We are in the 21st century. You can state your opinion, but do not force it upon her.

She is right, to be honest...if you can give your organs to someone who needs it, why not?
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
We are in the 21st century. You can state your opinion, but do not force it upon her.

She is right, to be honest...if you can give your organs to someone who needs it, why not?

The thought of a doctor cutting my dead body to get my organs out just seems grim. I'd rather not have that to be honest. But yes you're right, it can save lives. So it's a tough choice imo
Original post by Anonymous
As a Muslim, I believe I should be buried as a whole body, no organs donated. I opted out of the nhs organ donor register. I told my sister and asked her if she is as well? She said no, she would rather donate her organs if it helps someone stay alive. Whilst it is her choice, would it be rude of me to disagree, and if it isn't how would I go about it? TBH, I'm just shocked at her views really, but have better things to worry about.

You can talk to her about your feelings and opinions and explain why you disagree. But you can't force her to change her view. It's up to her.
As a Muslim, I believe I should be buried as a whole body, no organs donated.

Why? If your death could improve, or even save, the lives of others, why wouldn't you?

She said no, she would rather donate her organs if it helps someone stay alive.

How can you disagree with that?

Whilst it is her choice, would it be rude of me to disagree, and if it isn't how would I go about it?

Rude, illogical and heartless.

TBH, I'm just shocked at her views really, but have better things to worry about.

I'm shocked at yours, based on zero evidence. IMO, she is doing the right thing, and you're doing the wrong one.
The thought of a doctor cutting my dead body to get my organs out just seems grim. I'd rather not have that to be honest. But yes you're right, it can save lives. So it's a tough choice imo

Yes, but you will be dead, so you won’t really know what’s happening.

And that's entirely your choice.

As long as you wouldn't accept donated organs if you needed them and chose to die instead, it wouldn't be hypocritical at all.

Not really expressly forbidden by your religion may in fact make her a better Muslim.

The majority of Islamic religious leaders accept organ donation during life (provided it does not harm the donor) and after death in order to save life. Most religious leaders do not accept brain death as a criterion and consider cessation of all signs of life including heart beat as a precondition for declaring death

It's not a tough choice. You will know nothing about it.

Is it better to have your body cremated or buried whole? You either burn, or have it eaten by worms. I'd rather that anything that can be useful to others, is.
Reply 9
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
You can talk to her about your feelings and opinions and explain why you disagree. But you can't force her to change her view. It's up to her.

Might do that, but it's her choice, I don't really care what she does
Original post by RogerOxon
Why? If your death could improve, or even save, the lives of others, why wouldn't you?

How can you disagree with that?

Rude, illogical and heartless.

I'm shocked at yours, based on zero evidence. IMO, she is doing the right thing, and you're doing the wrong one.

1)I wouldn't want me to die, then be cut up, then buried. I'd rather die and get buried quick. And it's against religion.
2)there's other ways you can help people stay alive. You can probably donate to a health charity, etc.
3) I do disagree, but don't want to come across rude. She is my sister after all.
4) I appreciate you're shocked at my judgement. You are free to disagree. However, I believe I was born as a human with organs, and should die and be buried as one too.
Original post by 5hyl33n

My family will be there, and might not be a pleasant thought for them
Might do that, but it's her choice, I don't really care what she does

Fair enough. No it's not rude to disagree with her, but it would be rude to force your opinions on her.
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
Fair enough. No it's not rude to disagree with her, but it would be rude to force your opinions on her.

I wouldn't ever force my opinion. If you don't agree, that up to you. At the end of the day, she's still my sister, and I'm her brother, so will treat her as such.
I wouldn't ever force my opinion. If you don't agree, that up to you. At the end of the day, she's still my sister, and I'm her brother, so will treat her as such.

Amen to that
1)I wouldn't want me to die, then be cut up, then buried. I'd rather die and get buried quick.

Is this based on any rational reasoning?

You may have a postmortem.

And it's against religion.

What is the logic (if any) behind that? IMO, it's always better for your body to save lives than be eaten by worms.

Religion is probably the weakest reason to do, or not do, something.

2)there's other ways you can help people stay alive. You can probably donate to a health charity, etc.

That is orthogonal to organ donating. You can do both.

3) I do disagree, but don't want to come across rude. She is my sister after all.

I'm glad that you have a good relationship with her.

However, I believe I was born as a human with organs, and should die and be buried as one too.

Again, what is the logic behind that assertion?
Original post by 5hyl33n

But as the OP is a Muslim we believe you can feel pain even after death.

I am a Muslim also and my son has decided not to opt out. His theory is simple that in order for us to save life, as life is precious in Islam, we will do anthing to save our own life including taking other people's organs for our transplant so if we are allowed to take others why aren't we allowed to give ours. I respect his decision as religion is personal.
Tbh I'm more shocked at your choice. When you're dead you won't need your organs, whereas they could be used to save someone else from death, pretty selfish tbh. Yes, you have a right to disagree with your sister, but it's her body and her decision
Original post by AmberDalia
But as the OP is a Muslim we believe you can feel pain even after death.

Come again? That's impossible because the body and brain is dead so how would you feel pain??? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending