The Student Room Group

Changing course. Student finance, please advise.

Hi there, I'm nearing the end of my first year at Uni, however I have decided I need to switch course. I'll be starting the new course in September this year, but I need to know that student finance will be covering the aditional 3 years of study (4 in total) I have been told you get a "gift year", so I'd assume this will be fine, but could you clarify whether this is indeed the case. Furthermore, do I now need to cancel my existing student finance application for my old course and re-apply for the new one? I really need reassurance and guidance on what to do now regarding student finance in order to secure the next 3 years of it.

Thanks!
Yes everyone gets one gift year to restart a course or repeat a year.

Assuming that you plan to complete your current year then:

Apply as a continuing student but where it asks if your course and university will be the same in 21/22 say no and fill in the details of your new university.

If you aren’t 100% sure about which university and course you’re going to be on next year then apply as if you’re carrying on your current course then fill in a change of circumstances form in July when you know where you will be studying.

If you plan to leave your current course before the end of the year then it’s more complicated
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Yes everyone gets one gift year to restart a course or repeat a year.

Assuming that you plan to complete your current year then:

Apply as a continuing student but where it asks if your course and university will be the same in 21/22 say no and fill in the details of your new university.

If you aren’t 100% sure about which university and course you’re going to be on next year then apply as if you’re carrying on your current course then fill in a change of circumstances form in July when you know where you will be studying.

If you plan to leave your current course before the end of the year then it’s more complicated

Does the gift year apply to those who are changing courses and then doing another 3 years? (4 in total)
And I currently have an application for my old course student finance, should I now cancel that?
Original post by CCCLLL
Does the gift year apply to those who are changing courses and then doing another 3 years? (4 in total)
And I currently have an application for my old course student finance, should I now cancel that?

Yes the gift year applies in that case.

No don’t cancel your current application unless you plan yo drop out of your current course before the end of the year.

If you will complete the year then just send through a change of circumstances form with the new university and course in July.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

No don’t cancel your current application unless you plan yo drop out of your current course before the end of the year.

If you will complete the year then just send through a change of circumstances form with the new university and course in July.

great. appreciate it.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ

oh wait sorry, i meant i've already applied for 2021/2022 for my old course - i take it i cancel THIS student finance application right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending