The Student Room Group

2nd degree funding

So I'm applying to an MSci in Biomedical Science (with a foundation year & year in industry) at UWE, but I already have a BA in Philosophy from the University of Bristol.

I have heard different things from different SFE reps about if I will get funding or not (2 said no but 1 said yes), but from my research I think I should.

This is because I was told that courses CAH01-07 & CAH09-11 are classed as 'exemption courses' as long as they are studied either as a part-time honours (BSc), joint honours (BSc) or intergrated masters (MSci).

Biomedical Science should come under "CAH02-03-10: biomedical sciences (non-specific)", and I am applying to study an intergrated masters (MSci) in Biomedical Science. Therefore, I should surely get full funding for my second degree. Am I correct in this assumption?
Is the new degree a part time course?

The stem exemption is for part time study only
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Is the new degree a part time course?

The stem exemption is for part time study only

The degree is full-time, but it is an intergrated masters degree which means it should still get funding. To directly quote from the government website: "You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree". Therefore, as it is an Intergrated Master degree, I should still get funding. Is this correct?
Original post by SSmith108
The degree is full-time, but it is an intergrated masters degree which means it should still get funding. To directly quote from the government website: "You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree". Therefore, as it is an Intergrated Master degree, I should still get funding. Is this correct?

The exemption is for part time degrees (honours, joint honours and undergraduate masters part time degrees).

If it’s full time then it isn’t exempt
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
The exemption is for part time degrees (honours, joint honours and undergraduate masters part time degrees).

If it’s full time then it isn’t exempt

So why does the governments website say "This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree OR an Integrated Master’s degree". The "or" surely means that it only has to be one of those three options?
So why does the governments website say "This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree OR an Integrated Master’s degree". The "or" surely means that it only has to be one of those three options?

The part time wording applies to all three types of degree.

If the exemption applied to full time degrees too then the wording would specify that IN the sentence concerned (courses can be full time, part time or distance learning for student funding purposes - so if an exemption applies to full time and part time degrees then the wording stated “full time and part time”).

Stem exemption is available for part time second degrees.

You can always ask UWE directly. They’ll know if their course is exempt for SFE purposes. In fact their funding page explains it very clearly https://www.uwe.ac.uk/courses/funding/full-time-undergraduate-funding/equivalent-or-lower-qualification
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

If the exemption applied to full time degrees too then the wording would specify that IN the sentence concerned (courses can be full time, part time or distance learning for student funding purposes - so if an exemption applies to full time and part time degrees then the wording stated “full time and part time”).

You can always ask UWE directly. They’ll know if their course is exempt for SFE purposes. In fact their funding page explains it very clearly https://www.uwe.ac.uk/courses/funding/full-time-undergraduate-funding/equivalent-or-lower-qualification

Thanks for the info, but that is a shame. Do you work for Student Finance England? If not, how do you know that this info is 100% correct?
Reply 7
So, I already have a BA degree in Philosophy from the University of Bristol, and I want to do a second full-time MSci degree in Biomedical Science (with a foundation year & a year in industry).

The govenment's SFE eligibility page says "You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree".

This can be interpreted in two ways:
1) You can EITHER study a part-time Honours degree, e.g. BSc(Hons) in a STEM subject; OR a full-time joint Honours degree, e.g. BSc(Hons) in two STEM subjects; OR a full-time Intergated Masters degree, e.g. MSci in a STEM subject.
2) All 3 of these degree types (Honours degree, joint Honours degree and Integrated Masters degree) ALL have to be studied part-time in order to be eligibe for SFE funding.

I have assumed the first interpretation is correct. Am I wrong?
Original post by PQ

Thanks for the info, but that is a shame. Do you work for Student Finance England? If not, how do you know that this info is 100% correct?

So, I already have a BA degree in Philosophy from the University of Bristol, and I want to do a second full-time MSci degree in Biomedical Science (with a foundation year & a year in industry).

The govenment's SFE eligibility page says "You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree".

This can be interpreted in two ways:
1) You can EITHER study a part-time Honours degree, e.g. BSc(Hons) in a STEM subject; OR a full-time joint Honours degree, e.g. BSc(Hons) in two STEM subjects; OR a full-time Intergated Masters degree, e.g. MSci in a STEM subject.
2) All 3 of these degree types (Honours degree, joint Honours degree and Integrated Masters degree) ALL have to be studied part-time in order to be eligibe for SFE funding.

I have assumed the first interpretation is correct. Am I wrong?

Hi, I can confirm @PQ is correct.

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies