The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm 21 and I still tell my Mum where I'm going and when I'm likely to be back if I go if I'm at home. It's her house so I have to live by her house rules, and as she tells me brother- "it's not a hotel." She's always fine with it though, as long as she wasn't relying on me to take one of my siblings somewhere, or babysit. I've never given her any reason to doubt me (and I drive myself so could go where I want and tell her I've been somewhere else if I wanted). I can imagine there'd be problems though if I was taking advantage, and I'd probably end up with nowhere to come back to!
Reply 41
I'd like to see them try, I live in a different country.
pamelaa
Oh no, don't be sorry, it's not your fault & I was looking for sympathy either. :p: but thank you.

Nah, I don't. That's the way she is. She has next to no social life and I think she just wants to drag me down with her... that's what it feels like anyway. I'd rather be out with my friends than sitting on a computer on a student forum on a friday night yknow?

Have you tried talking to her, or reaching some compromise?
Maybe having a conversation here, suggesting that, I don't know, you can go out tonight if you promise to be back by x time and will let her know on a regular basis that everything is ok with you - say, every hour or so?

It sounds like your mum does have some issues, and whilst it's understandable that she is acting in the way it is, it's not fair for you and is restricting you.
pamelaa
She'd lock me out the house or get my dad to throw me out. I don't have my own house keys.

I know!!! I mean, my parents wouldnt chuck me out but they would make it sound like they were making a deal so if I choose to do anything regardless of what they tell me, they maintain the ability to cancel any riding lessons, stop cooking me meals (I generally do my own food, it just hurts when you come down for a sunday roast and discover no-one made any for you and didnt bother to mention it!) and they cut off electricity/block all my accesss to computers......

and i am apparantly the immature one for seeing their behaviour as stupid and irrational!!
Its not like im trouble either! Just, sometimes I might be late to meet friends and parents find chores for me to do as I leave the house, then I cant go until they are done, then I say im sorry but I'll miss the film and they say I cant go because of my attitude, thinking a movies more important than my share in the housework

To which I leave....
Usually

:s-smilie:

I think you just have to be exemplary as an adult... and sometimes make them realise that you are the mature one!!!
lol...
Doesnt exactly work mostly, but, worth a try!!!
Anonymous
It won't pass at all, my sister is 21 and still living here. And she adheres to their rules, which doesn't help me at all.

Three times we've "talked" about it in the last month. And I'm told that if I don't like it I can leave. Which I would, it's just I don't fancy throwing away all my time and effort spent at college as I intend to go to Uni in september. I just feel like I'm being punished for not getting a dead end pointless full time job in retail, because if I had that I'd be able to support myself. Even if it was a bare bones existance.

I'd love a dead end pointless job in retail. Sure, it may be ****, but it'll pay for my food/beer. Plus I could probably move out after working there for a month. Would be sweet as.
Then again, I've yet to find such a job. Ho hum. :frown:

And yeah, I get the "if you don't like it then move out" thing as well. A pointless thing to say because they know I don't have enough money to live by myself as of yet.
For about half of these cases:

moral of the story, move out for Uni.
pamelaa
Oh no, don't be sorry, it's not your fault & I was looking for sympathy either. :p: but thank you.

Nah, I don't. That's the way she is. She has next to no social life and I think she just wants to drag me down with her... that's what it feels like anyway. I'd rather be out with my friends than sitting on a computer on a student forum on a friday night yknow?

You and me both, but they decided to go home early because "they were tired". Which is why I don't usually go out drinking with girls. :p:
rainbowbex
I moved out.

lol OP do this

Latest

Trending

Trending