The Student Room Group

I no longer want to wear the hijab.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheUbermensche
I have a lot of friends who have broken away from religion.

You have to assess your own situation. How likely do you think it is that your family would 'break ties' with you if you came out? If you think it is very likely, take all the necessary steps to become independent and self-reliant. For a lot of my friends, this has meant getting a good job, having their own place and then breaking it to their parents - whatever the consequences were, they were at least in a position to support themselves.

I'd just like you to know that a lot of people are in your same boat; it is a slow process but it is a sure one!

P.S. You might want to read up on Irshad Manji.

Thank you so much for this; you've been really helpful.
The thing is, I've just finished my first year at uni and have landed a full time job (over the summer) at Debenhams. I haven't told my mum, as she would've taken all the money for herself, but I'm saving up to leave.
And I'll read up on that, thank you.
Original post by DarkParadise
I'm an 18 year old Somali who simply doesn't believe any more due to personal circumstances and researching more into religion and science.
Lately, I've been feeling like a hypocrite, walking around with a hijab on despite the change of my beliefs.
Two friends of mine have stopped wearing the hijab, but they're Bengali and their parents are less strict about covering up. I felt so envious of how much freedom they have.
I haven't told anyone that I no longer believe, as I'm too fearful of the consequences, but I know that I'm wearing the hijab for the wrong reasons. Religious friends have told me that they feel pride when wearing the hijab, but I feel nothing but frustration and anger at being restricted to show my hair. I fail to see why I can't show it - it's MY hair, I should be allowed to show it as much as I want, but it's not as easy as that.
The community I live in is very, very strict in terms of religion; I feel so emotionally isolated, and everyone seems to be so much happier than me.
The thing is, my whole family are devout Muslims who would surely kick me out if I dared to do such a thing.
This is genuinely getting me depressed; I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

Hey.

First of all, keep your chin up and don't allow the situation to harm you well being. Quite a tough situation you are in, and there are many many people who are in the same boat sadly. You are not alone.

Also, it could be worse. After all, you live in a relatively free country. The worst case scenario - heaven forbid, no pun intended - is that your parents kick you out. It is awful to imagine how that feels, but being publicly plucked out of the street and taken away in a van against your will (condoned by the general public), inter alia, is something I'm sure you will agree would be worse to imagine.

DeMonies and TheUberMachine has given the best advice. In my opinion, it is the most pragmatic thing to do. Just try not to be impatient, and it will all resolve. After all, you don't plan to live under your fathers roof for the rest of your life?

All the best.

edit

Original post by de_monies
Muslim here and I say do what you want, but it might be best to do so at uni? And gradually lose it. That way it's not as much of a shock to your family if you one day decide "I don't want to wear the hijab"
(edited 10 years ago)
We see these threads all the time, isn't there a charity that women in this situation can go to? These situations just seem so hopeless otherwise, people should not feel force into a religion because of their families but because of the dependence that young people have on their parents this stuff happens. If there is such a charity go to that, if there isn't it a terrible failing of our soicity and if that is the case i am deeply sorry. Don't look for advice from within the Islamic world for they have a vested interest instead go to a third party and then a fourth party and don't stop asking until the day you die.
Reply 23
Original post by bluebell100
To understand why we wear the hijab, we need to understand ultimate foundation of what it means to be a Muslim. To be a Muslim means to believe in only one God (the same God of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them)) and obey him. This would mean living our lives in a way which pleases God. The hijab is a commandment from God and that is the ultimate reason for wearing it.

We believe the one who created us knows what's good for us and it's only for our benefit to try our best to please him. The hijab is a commandment from Allah (swt). At the end of the day, to follow the commandments of Islam is only for our benefit. It won't affect Allah (swt) in any way whether we obey him or not. It's for your own benefit to please him.

Why do you women wear hijabs? Is it to cover up their beautiful hair and face? If God wanted you to cover up your hair then why (since you are made in God's imagine) did he give you hair in the first place?

I'm assuming you're also against homosexuality (since that's what your outdated and backward religion believes...)? Then I ask you this also; why would God create people to be like that?
Reply 24
Original post by de_monies
Muslim here and I say do what you want, but it might be best to do so at uni? And gradually lose it. That way it's not as much of a shock to your family if you one day decide "I don't want to wear the hijab"

I go to a uni close to home, so there's not much choice.
Should I just wear it off for one day, and put it on the next etc? Or should I just take it off altogether?
It's not just science. It's how I feel, too. I felt nothing - complete indifference - a year or so ago, after the death of my father. Now, I almost feel frustration when hearing about Islam; it's becoming some sort of aversion to me.
For as long as I could remember, Islam has been shovelled down my throat as "fact", and so I believed it to be so. It's only fairly recently that I began to feel differently.
I feel as if I've just woken up from a dream and realised that you genuinely do only have one life - why should I live it and do things that don't necessarily make me happy to please God? There's more to life than religion; a whole world is out there. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's how I feel.

It's not cheesy at all, I live without religion and I'm happy (though my upbringing was different). I hope you get out, don't how but it nice to dream of happy endings.
Reply 26
Original post by Leanora
You should think about what you are doing before you do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is there to think about, it's only removing a piece of cloth.
Reply 27
It's not just science. It's how I feel, too. I felt nothing - complete indifference - a year or so ago, after the death of my father. Now, I almost feel frustration when hearing about Islam; it's becoming some sort of aversion to me.
For as long as I could remember, Islam has been shovelled down my throat as "fact", and so I believed it to be so. It's only fairly recently that I began to feel differently.
I feel as if I've just woken up from a dream and realised that you genuinely do only have one life - why should I live it and do things that don't necessarily make me happy to please God? There's more to life than religion; a whole world is out there. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's how I feel.

Listen im not here to force you or anything, but the truth is living your life by islam is the way that will make you the happiest, if you just see it as God setting rules for us to make us miserable then I truly feel sorry for you. Allah only prohibits what is bad for us.

Islam is an all-embracing way of life. It extends over the entire spectrum of life, showing us how to conduct all human activities in a sound and wholesome manner. It does not allow a hierarchy of priests or intermediaries between Allah and human beings, no farfetched abstractions and no complicated rites and rituals.
Could I just ask, do you live in somalia, or in the uk? (apologies if i have somehow missed this- I did look). Because the consequences of not wearing the hijab are likely to be very different. As much as you want to be true to yourself, if you truly believe you would be kicked out, or suffer other serious consequences, maybe you should wait until you have more independence? It would still suck to be rejected by your family (although they may be more supportive than you think), but at least you would have somewhere to live.
Reply 29
Can't the OP observe hijab in another way apart from covering her hair? I mean, no one really checks out a girl's hair or finds it sexually arousing. If she still dresses and behaves modestly then what's the difference?
I'm an 18 year old Somali who simply doesn't believe any more due to personal circumstances and researching more into religion and science.
Lately, I've been feeling like a hypocrite, walking around with a hijab on despite the change of my beliefs.
Two friends of mine have stopped wearing the hijab, but they're Bengali and their parents are less strict about covering up. I felt so envious of how much freedom they have.
I haven't told anyone that I no longer believe, as I'm too fearful of the consequences, but I know that I'm wearing the hijab for the wrong reasons. Religious friends have told me that they feel pride when wearing the hijab, but I feel nothing but frustration and anger at being restricted to show my hair. I fail to see why I can't show it - it's MY hair, I should be allowed to show it as much as I want, but it's not as easy as that.
The community I live in is very, very strict in terms of religion; I feel so emotionally isolated, and everyone seems to be so much happier than me.
The thing is, my whole family are devout Muslims who would surely kick me out if I dared to do such a thing.
This is genuinely getting me depressed; I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

You remind me of my boyfriend who is Sikh. I am a Christian and being in a relationship with me made him come to terms with his religion and faced with opposite views and he has started to realise some aspects of his religion are not what he wants to follow and has stopped doing some of the things that he did. It is normal, you are your own person. Do what you need to do to make you happy. My boyfriend wears one of those and I like it on him anyway, you may look good with it, I think it looks good on people.
Reply 31
Original post by Mo_maths
Are you an idiot or something, click on the link you just sent and scroll down.

Yeah take it son.

"Science has confirmed that the fly does indeed carry antidote, and it does have useful functions that the human-body could greatly benefit from, such as the soldiers who used flies' larvae to prevent bacterial infections."

That's not exactly using a wing to cure things is it? Also is it really that impressive when such "scientific miracles" were already well known at the time?
Listen im not here to force you or anything, but the truth is living your life by islam is the way that will make you the happiest, if you just see it as God setting rules for us to make us miserable then I truly feel sorry for you. Allah only prohibits what is bad for us.

Islam is an all-embracing way of life. It extends over the entire spectrum of life, showing us how to conduct all human activities in a sound and wholesome manner. It does not allow a hierarchy of priests or intermediaries between Allah and human beings, no farfetched abstractions and no complicated rites and rituals.

"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it." John Stuart Mill

The fact is that the majority of the world's population do not follow Islam and want to express themselves as they see fit. They, as human beings with intrinsic dignity, have the freedom to do this. Your religion may work for you, but don't make the assumption that it is an adequate means of living for the rest of us.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Are you an idiot or something, click on the link you just sent and scroll down.

Yeah take it son.

"Science has confirmed that the fly does indeed carry antidote, and it does have useful functions that the human-body could greatly benefit from, such as the soldiers who used flies' larvae to prevent bacterial infections."

It is a biased page... Biased to Islam. Of course they're going to say that!

Find a scientific page. Go on, "son".
Reply 34
Original post by arkhamz
Can't the OP observe hijab in another way apart from covering her hair? I mean, no one really checks out a girl's hair or finds it sexually arousing. If she still dresses and behaves modestly then what's the difference?

I don't understand what you're saying here. I'm talking about the repercussions I would face from not wearing the hijab from my family and the community we live in.

Original post by bellatrixb
Could I just ask, do you live in somalia, or in the uk? (apologies if i have somehow missed this- I did look). Because the consequences of not wearing the hijab are likely to be very different. As much as you want to be true to yourself, if you truly believe you would be kicked out, or suffer other serious consequences, maybe you should wait until you have more independence? It would still suck to be rejected by your family (although they may be more supportive than you think), but at least you would have somewhere to live.

I live in Wales, I've lived here my whole life.
and the consequences are in fact very similar, in that you will still be shunned, gossipped about (not sure if that's a word) and basically hated. I feel that I would still have friends by the end of it, but I'd probably lose some.
And there is seriously no way my family would be supportive.
Reply 35
I don't understand what you're saying here. I'm talking about the repercussions I would face from not wearing the hijab from my family and the community we live in..

Oh sorry, I mean that if you do decide to not wear it, you could sort of explain it that way to your parents e.g you can be modest without covering your hair. Of course that'd be on top of your other reasons.
No Offence to anyone but i genuinely feel given the question is related to the OP's future life, she should not take this as the right platform. It's probably better for her to go ahead and consult with different Islamic online forums and scholars. Personally i think you are in a slightly indifferent mental state where you are not processing information completely clearly! Correct me if i am wrong in making such an assumption? Maybe try a variety of sources to get good sound advice as some of the advice on here particularly that from non-muslims is a little inaccurate mainly because they don't understand the simplicity of Islam and only see the manipulated and hijacked version of the faith and are giving advice based on those pereceptions
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
OP I think you should take de_monies advice. Gradually take it off e.g. have random days where you don't wear it and then start to increase the amount of times you're not wearing it. Make it small changes so your mother doesn't realise and also so you can get used to not wearing a hijab anymore.
Also try to become more financially independent. I read above that you have a summer job at Debenhams, try saving up as much money as possible so when you do decide to tell your family you're not a Muslim anymore you have money to support you.
I wish you all the best. :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Anonymous
No Offence to anyone but i genuinely feel given the question is related to the OP's future life, she should not take this as the right platform. It's probably better for her to go ahead and consult with different Islamic online forums and scholars. Personally i think you are in a slightly indifferent mental state where you are not processing information completely clearly! Correct me if i am wrong in making such an assumption? Maybe try a variety of sources to get good sound advice as some of the advice on here particularly that from non-muslims is a little inaccurate mainly because they don't understand the simplicity of Islam and only see the manipulated and hijacked version of the faith and are giving advice based on those pereceptions

What exactly would make you question her mental state? She seems quite reasoned and has done research. Why would she just ask for information from Islamic sources who are most likely going to be one sided?

To the OP I think you are very brave and if you are certain in your decision you might want to test the waters by bringing the subject up to see what your parents opinion is.
Reply 39
The upmost important relationship you will have is the one with yourself, your stuck with you for life.

Always stay true to yourself. And what runs true with you.

Strive to be happy. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending