The Student Room Group

I no longer want to wear the hijab.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KyleLong
Why do you women wear hijabs? Is it to cover up their beautiful hair and face? If God wanted you to cover up your hair then why (since you are made in God's imagine) did he give you hair in the first place?

I'm assuming you're also against homosexuality (since that's what your outdated and backward religion believes...)? Then I ask you this also; why would God create people to be like that?

To be a Muslim means to believe in only one God (the same God of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them)) and obey him. This would mean living our lives in a way which pleases God. :smile:

Also, just to corret, Muslim women are required to cover their hair and body but only in front of men who are not our relatives (so basically whenever we go outside). We are not created in God's image. God is unique and no one knows what he looks like.

And yes, I disagree with homosexuality because God forbade it. If God has forbidden something, there is no questioning his decision. God is greater than us and knows better than us.
Reply 41
Can I just say please keep all discussion relevant to the OP's question, if you want to discuss Islam in general you can do so in the Religion forum.
Reply 42
Original post by Idle
What exactly would make you question her mental state? She seems quite reasoned and has done research. Why would she just ask for information from Islamic sources who are most likely going to be one sided?

To the OP I think you are very brave and if you are certain in your decision you might want to test the waters by bringing the subject up to see what your parents opinion is.

Thank you so much.
My dad is dead, but he certainly would have been against it, which is what I feel is holding me back the most.
My mum would equally be as upset about it, and would deal with it in anger e.g. chucking me out.
Original post by DarkParadise
I go to a uni close to home, so there's not much choice.
Should I just wear it off for one day, and put it on the next etc?

Erm, yeah I guess it might be best to do that. I wouldn't just take it off all at once, cos well that'd be a massive shock to your family, especially as they're strict :smile:
Reply 44
Thank you so much.
My dad is dead, but he certainly would have been against it, which is what I feel is holding me back the most.
My mum would equally be as upset about it, and would deal with it in anger e.g. chucking me out.

Oh i'm sorry to hear about your dad :hugs: At the end of the day you have your own life and have to live it in a way that makes YOU feel happy (my own dad is dead so I can understand your feelings.)
Reply 45
Original post by Idle
Oh i'm sorry to hear about your dad :hugs: At the end of the day you have your own life and have to live it in a way that makes YOU feel happy (my own dad is dead so I can understand your feelings.)

Thank you! Sorry to hear about your dad, as well.
And you're right - I really should start living for myself.
Reply 46
Thank you guys for all of your responses.
I was initially very scared and a little tearful when making this thread, but the vast majority of these posts have done nothing but motivate me further to live more for myself.
I can't say that it's going to be easy, but tomorrow I should be heading out for a meal, and I think that I'm not going to wear the hijab for the first time.
Yes, it might be scary and it might end terribly, but there really is no harm in trying, is there?
Reply 47
I was initially very scared and a little tearful when making this thread, but the vast majority of these posts have done nothing but motivate me further to live more for myself.
I can't say that it's going to be easy, but tomorrow I should be heading out for a meal, and I think that I'm not going to wear the hijab for the first time.
Yes, it might be scary and it might end terribly, but there really is no harm in trying, is there?

Good choice :smile: Sorry to "disrespect" your religion, but I feel strongly against it. I do not have a problem with Muslims, just the ideology.
It's not just science. It's how I feel, too. I felt nothing - complete indifference - a year or so ago, after the death of my father. Now, I almost feel frustration when hearing about Islam; it's becoming some sort of aversion to me.
For as long as I could remember, Islam has been shovelled down my throat as "fact", and so I believed it to be so. It's only fairly recently that I began to feel differently.
I feel as if I've just woken up from a dream and realised that you genuinely do only have one life - why should I live it and do things that don't necessarily make me happy to please God? There's more to life than religion; a whole world is out there. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's how I feel.

If you want to leave the religion of Allah, you can leave as you are in free land and no one will harm you, but remember Allah does not need you. Sadly the somali people are strict but they do it for you benefit, if you believe that you are on the truth leave but again remember Islam does not need you, but will take you in when you it.

I wish you the very best of luck. I believe strongly in religious freedom, and it makes me sad when I hear of people who do not have the support of their families in choosing their own paths. In the end, we all have to make up our own minds; don't let anyone else tell you what you "should" believe. Your religious beliefs are your own, no-one elses.

Do what you think is best. I've never been in your situation, so I'm not really in a position to advise you on the best approach. I just hope you take courage from the fact that there are people here who support you fully, whatever path you choose to take. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to do what you are doing. Good luck.
I'm an 18 year old Somali who simply doesn't believe any more due to personal circumstances and researching more into religion and science.
Lately, I've been feeling like a hypocrite, walking around with a hijab on despite the change of my beliefs.
Two friends of mine have stopped wearing the hijab, but they're Bengali and their parents are less strict about covering up. I felt so envious of how much freedom they have.
I haven't told anyone that I no longer believe, as I'm too fearful of the consequences, but I know that I'm wearing the hijab for the wrong reasons. Religious friends have told me that they feel pride when wearing the hijab, but I feel nothing but frustration and anger at being restricted to show my hair. I fail to see why I can't show it - it's MY hair, I should be allowed to show it as much as I want, but it's not as easy as that.
The community I live in is very, very strict in terms of religion; I feel so emotionally isolated, and everyone seems to be so much happier than me.
The thing is, my whole family are devout Muslims who would surely kick me out if I dared to do such a thing.
This is genuinely getting me depressed; I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

congratulations on having a brain in your head. However, I'd suggest leaving wherever it is you live. You're surrounded by what amounts to people suffering from a mental sickness, and who knows, maybe if you go public with all this you're the next girl that gets acid thrown in her face. If I was you I'd just get the hell out.
Hey OP, I can completely understand where you're coming from because I've been in a similar situation myself (though not related to hijab).

Honestly, there will come a point where you will become absolutely exhausted mentally (and depressed) if you carry on with something you don't want to do but do it for the sake of others.

You've said your beliefs have changed - as another poster has said; be true to yourself. You have to start taking your life into your own hands - sometimes it may have to be something drastic for your own sanity.

Don't let anyone guilt trip you into keeping the hijab on, if you feel averse to it. At the end of the day, it is a piece of cloth and a piece of cloth doesn't determine how you are as a person.
Reply 52
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
congratulations on having a brain in your head. However, I'd suggest leaving wherever it is you live. You're surrounded by what amounts to people suffering from a mental sickness, and who knows, maybe if you go public with all this you're the next girl that gets acid thrown in her face. If I was you I'd just get the hell out.

oh so a girl who wears a hijab doesn't have a brain?!
Original post by Tubis
oh so a girl who wears a hijab doesn't have a brain?!

she said she'd researched into religion and science and come to the sensible conclusion.
Reply 54

If you want advice, it would be best to visit a Muslim forum and ask fellow Muslim (women) who might have a similar past experience. Most posters here are not Muslim and hence won't really be able to relate and offer suitable advice.
Thank you so much.

Being somali myself, I don't think your mother will kick you out, because of the whole shame thing in our culture. Kicking you out will just draw attention. She will be really upset and maybe emotionally blackmail you but I don't think she will kick you out.

Have you completely stopped believing in Islam or just questioning the wearing of the hijab?
If your parents want to kick you out because you don't want to wear fabric on your head, then your parents are jerks for choosing religion over their daughter. It's not worth living with people who judge you based on whether or not you believe in their religion. If you are old enough to legally support yourself, move out. Find some friends to stay with and be who you want to be, not who a bunch of selfish people want you to be.

While I do not wish to condemn Islam, these sorts of issues really do only seem to happen with that religion... Get out of there.
I'm a Muslim guy who might turn Athiest after I go Uni, so yeah do what you want, I'd keep it a secret though.

That's a very admirable decision. It's horrible that you're in such a situation with no 'good' outcomes but I, personally, would agree that you should take life in your own hands, whatever it is that you choose to believe in/ not believe in. I wish you good luck for tomorrow! I really hope you can update us on how it goes. :smile:
I am not religious myself, but I understand that this is a very big step especially as you have been wearing the hijab all your life (well, from an appropriate age upwards). Good luck again!
Reply 59
Original post by KyleLong
Why do you women wear hijabs? Is it to cover up their beautiful hair and face? If God wanted you to cover up your hair then why (since you are made in God's imagine) did he give you hair in the first place?

I'm assuming you're also against homosexuality (since that's what your outdated and backward religion believes...)? Then I ask you this also; why would God create people to be like that?

Muslims do not believe that we were created in the image of Allah (christians do..).

Secondly the beauty that Allah has blessed you with is sacred and as you probably know all things with value are preserved and hidden. For example pearl's in a clam/oyster, money in safes etc. So what if more valuable than a person. It is also a spiritual connection with Allah. People shouldn't wear it for the sake of their parents but for the Almighty who created them.

We all go through trials and tribulations in our lives that we must over come. God doesn't give us anything that is too hard to handle. Verily Allah knows best. It is about how hard you try overcome these hurdles, seek the guidance of your Creator.

Please don't base your knowledge on what you have accumulated via the media. Take it in you own hands to find the truth for you will be questioned on The Day Of Judgement.

May Allah guide you to the right path.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending