The Student Room Group

I no longer want to wear the hijab.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by bluebell100
To be a Muslim means to believe in only one God (the same God of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them)) and obey him. This would mean living our lives in a way which pleases God. :smile:

Also, just to corret, Muslim women are required to cover their hair and body but only in front of men who are not our relatives (so basically whenever we go outside). We are not created in God's image. God is unique and no one knows what he looks like.

And yes, I disagree with homosexuality because God forbade it. If God has forbidden something, there is no questioning his decision. God is greater than us and knows better than us.

Why then men do not cover themselves too? They attract female attention, so why only make females be covered..

And there's no truth that God is against homosexuality. You do know that God wanted some people to be homosexuals :K:

---------------------------------------------------------------

On topic, it's your life, you shape it, and not even God can decide how you'll be living your life :smile:
Reply 61
The decision to wear a hijab should always be yours, you should never be forced to wear a hijab. Forcing something on to somebody in the name of Islam is totally unislamic as in Quran itself it is clearly stated: " There should be no compulsion in religion" ( 2:257). Unfortunately some people do force their girls to wear hijab, because of their "honour" in the society (i.e. Somali society), but it is unislamic. Religion is a matter between you and God only, if you are not wearing your Hijab for Allah, then do not wear it for people.

I personally think a girl should wear a hijab when she personally feels ready for it, it is when she has reached that "advanced spritual state" in faith. What I mean by that is that the basic thing in Islam is the belief in the One God and the relationship with God i.e. Salah ( prayer). Once you believe in Allah and are close to Him you will really come to a stage where you would want do anything for Him. Every commandment in Islam has a reason, ultimately to our benefit.
Hijab comes as a result of that spritual connection with God, out of modesty. As someone who wears a hijab, I personally want to be recognized as a modest, God fearing person, not "available" to the other sex.
I know some girls who stopped taking the hijab. At first the "freedom" attracted them and they took off their hijab (not that I am against it), then they took another step and started drinking, then another step and left Islam, step by step reaching a point where they had lost that "inner peace" and security and totally lost themselves (I can say this only about the girls I personally know).
Sorry for the preaching I just wanted to try and clarify some misconceptions about why people have to wear the hijab. All what I am trying to say is that you cannot understand Hijab if you do not have that connection with God.

Also one little point I wanted to add is that Islam is not the first religion that commands the Hijab, original teachings of Christianity and Judaism also had the command of wearing a veil (worn only by nonnes nowadays), even some Hindus wear a vail as a sign of "modesty". I understand that people want to know why a girl would want to cover her beauty, but please do not (only) connect Islam with it.
If you have not turned Atheist yet I suggest that initially you do not talk to any other person about this except God, as it is a matter of faith. Ramadan is coming up in a few days inshAllah, pray that Allah makes easy for you whatever is best for you. I guarantee you that if you truthfully ask God or Allah, or if you believe that there is any supreme being, you will find the answer soon. Good luck :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by pss_med13
The decision to wear a hijab should always be yours, you should never be forced to wear a hijab. Forcing something on to somebody in the name of Islam is totally unislamic as in Quran itself it is clearly stated: " There should be no compulsion in religion" ( 2:257). Unfortunately some people do force their girls to wear hijab, because of their "honour" in the society (i.e. Somali society), but it is unislamic. Religion is a matter between you and God only, if you are not wearing your Hijab for Allah, then do not wear it for people.

I personally think a girl should wear a hijab when she personally feels ready for it, it is when she has reached that "advanced spritual state" in faith. What I mean by that is that the basic thing in Islam is the belief in the One God and the relationship with God i.e. Salah ( prayer). Once you believe in Allah and are close to Him you will really come to a stage where you would want do anything for Him. Every commandment in Islam has a reason, ultimately to our benefit.
Hijab comes as a result of that spritual connection with God, out of modesty. As someone who wears a hijab, I personally want to be recognized as a modest, God fearing person, not "available" to the other sex.
I know some girls who stopped taking the hijab. At first the "freedom" attracted them and they took off their hijab (not that I am against it), then they took another step and started drinking, then another step and left Islam, step by step reaching a point where they had lost that "inner peace" and security and totally lost themselves (I can say this only about the girls I personally know).
Sorry for the preaching I just wanted to try and clarify some misconceptions about why people have to wear the hijab. All what I am trying to say is that you cannot understand Hijab if you do not have that connection with God.

Also one little point I wanted to add is that Islam is not the first religion that commands the Hijab, original teachings of Christianity and Judaism also had the command of wearing a veil (worn only by nonnes nowadays), even some Hindus wear a vail as a sign of "modesty". I understand that people want to know why a girl would want to cover her beauty, but please do not (only) connect Islam with it.
If you have not turned Atheist yet I suggest that initially you do not talk to any other person about this except God, as it is a matter of faith. Ramadan is coming up in a few days inshAllah, pray that Allah makes easy for you whatever is best for you. I guarantee you that if you truthfully ask God or Allah, or if you believe that there is any supreme being, you will find the answer soon. Good luck :smile:

Great post.:smile:

OP, you need to realise going through periods of doubt is normal, but you shouldn't lose faith.To add to this. Here is a hadith which I really like:

The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said:"There will come a time when holding on to your Iman (belief) will be like holding on to hot coals" {Tirmidhi}

PS. Mods delete anonymous posts saying the same thing. Hate being automaticly anonymous:angry:
Reply 63
UPDATE:
So I've just returned from the meal. I didn't wear a hijab, and I'm really happy to say that it felt incredible. I felt really free.
The really sad thing is, of the six friends with me, only two supported me. The other four told me that I was insane, and that the devil must be possessing me. I laughed it off, but it did hurt.
I'm glad you had the courage to not wear it for the meal. However, I'm sorry that not all of your friends supported you.

I think you are doing the right thing though. I'm a Christian but I still think that whatever your religion, you should do things for yourself not for others. Good luck :smile:
Original post by DarkParadise
UPDATE:
So I've just returned from the meal. I didn't wear a hijab, and I'm really happy to say that it felt incredible. I felt really free.
The really sad thing is, of the six friends with me, only two supported me. The other four told me that I was insane, and that the devil must be possessing me. I laughed it off, but it did hurt.

Focus on those that supported you. You aren't alone :smile:

If it felt that good, then it was most likely the right decision. I'm glad for you.
Reply 66
Often labeled as oppressive, many fail to realize that the Hijab truly empowers every female with the ability to control how she is treated and respected in society, her safety, and who deserves to see her beauty, all while making a statement against female exploitation. A woman who observes the Hijab is freeing herself of society's immoral and disrespectful expectations of her. A female who conceals her beauty has granted herself the power to say to the world "You know what? Everything about me besides my beauty should matter to you." If wearing miniskirts, low-cut tops, head- turning heels, and layers of makeup in public is the expectation without which a woman in incapable of stepping outside her house, then we have two very different definitions of liberty and self-respect.

All human beings demand respect, and why should we women be treated as mere objects valued or devalued for our beauty or the lack thereof? Why should we let all random and strange men (whether we are friends with them or not) be the judges of our attractiveness? Shouldn't we preserve ourselves for only those who deserve us?

And that is why Muslim women observe the Hijab.
Reply 67
If my mum would throw me out I would be relieved. My parents are also religious and forbid me from doing certain things. If I could move out I would in a jiffy but she won't let me. I say seize the opportunity and be free, after all, it wasn't your decision to be kicked out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
I'm an 18 year old Somali who simply doesn't believe any more due to personal circumstances and researching more into religion and science.
Lately, I've been feeling like a hypocrite, walking around with a hijab on despite the change of my beliefs.
Two friends of mine have stopped wearing the hijab, but they're Bengali and their parents are less strict about covering up. I felt so envious of how much freedom they have.
I haven't told anyone that I no longer believe, as I'm too fearful of the consequences, but I know that I'm wearing the hijab for the wrong reasons. Religious friends have told me that they feel pride when wearing the hijab, but I feel nothing but frustration and anger at being restricted to show my hair. I fail to see why I can't show it - it's MY hair, I should be allowed to show it as much as I want, but it's not as easy as that.
The community I live in is very, very strict in terms of religion; I feel so emotionally isolated, and everyone seems to be so much happier than me.
The thing is, my whole family are devout Muslims who would surely kick me out if I dared to do such a thing.
This is genuinely getting me depressed; I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

I am in the opposite situation i am
a convert to islam and i want to put on the hijab but i am scared of what my Christian family would say. You see would u like to swap families lol. Sister just read up first before you do it okay. XxxxX

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Tell them there is "no compulsion in religion" and if they kick you out they're going to be sent to hell by allah.
Reply 70
Original post by Mo_maths
Often labeled as oppressive, many fail to realize that the Hijab truly empowers every female with the ability to control how she is treated and respected in society, her safety, and who deserves to see her beauty, all while making a statement against female exploitation. A woman who observes the Hijab is freeing herself of society's immoral and disrespectful expectations of her. A female who conceals her beauty has granted herself the power to say to the world "You know what? Everything about me besides my beauty should matter to you." If wearing miniskirts, low-cut tops, head- turning heels, and layers of makeup in public is the expectation without which a woman in incapable of stepping outside her house, then we have two very different definitions of liberty and self-respect.

All human beings demand respect, and why should we women be treated as mere objects valued or devalued for our beauty or the lack thereof? Why should we let all random and strange men (whether we are friends with them or not) be the judges of our attractiveness? Shouldn't we preserve ourselves for only those who deserve us?

The difference is that nobody "expects" women to dress like that. They're free to dress like that or cover up with a hijab, on altering days, whatever they feel like. Enforcing hijab however takes away liberty.
Reply 71
Yes, I'm still living at home, though I'd love to move.
And they would react horribly,especially my mum. She would kick me out instantly, no challenge.

God gave is free will so you should b able to do what you want. But you should also know what's wrong and what's right.
I go to a uni close to home, so there's not much choice.
Should I just wear it off for one day, and put it on the next etc? Or should I just take it off altogether?

Since I also come from a culturally backwards family, I know that doing that is not a good idea. I used to hide my money just like you do, but my parents would find it and take it away from me. They would cut my debit card so I couldn't use it anymore and if I ordered a new one by mail, they'd get to it first.

One time I managed to get a hold of my money, I bought myself trousers and I used to go to public toilets and change my clothes outside my family's house, and then change back before I went back in. They saw me in the street wearing those clothes (black trousers and a normal t-shirt) and from then on I got no freedom, they put me in a room and told my brother to watch me all the times. My pockets and my bag were always searched routinely.

Anyway if your family is anything like mine then I would advise you to pretend to be a devout Muslim until you have enough money saved up to go, and then you should just leave the house and do what you want to do. It'll be a big shock to them and you'll feel guilty, but they'll either get over it with time or they'll never speak to you again.

I left the house 5 years ago and most of them stopped talking to me, but now I speak to my mum because she actually called me one day and asked for help in getting out of the house too. It took a few months to make phone calls to some authorities, but she left the house and she's a lot more independent and happy now, and I'm also happy that I speak to at least one of my parents and also some of my siblings that went with her.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you make the right choice.
Reply 73
I'm an 18 year old Somali who simply doesn't believe any more due to personal circumstances and researching more into religion and science.
Lately, I've been feeling like a hypocrite, walking around with a hijab on despite the change of my beliefs.
Two friends of mine have stopped wearing the hijab, but they're Bengali and their parents are less strict about covering up. I felt so envious of how much freedom they have.
I haven't told anyone that I no longer believe, as I'm too fearful of the consequences, but I know that I'm wearing the hijab for the wrong reasons. Religious friends have told me that they feel pride when wearing the hijab, but I feel nothing but frustration and anger at being restricted to show my hair. I fail to see why I can't show it - it's MY hair, I should be allowed to show it as much as I want, but it's not as easy as that.
The community I live in is very, very strict in terms of religion; I feel so emotionally isolated, and everyone seems to be so much happier than me.
The thing is, my whole family are devout Muslims who would surely kick me out if I dared to do such a thing.
This is genuinely getting me depressed; I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

I sympathise with your dilemma. I know it is not simply a case of taking it off and standing up to your family as the intolerance towards such things can result in much harm to yourself. I have never really grasped the point of hiding a woman's hair. Besides it can't be physically healthy if kept out of the sunlight and air. You seems to have two options: a) carry on as normal and live a lie (which is not a valid option at all) or b) make a plan for getting away and starting life afresh, away from harm and religious pressure, where you can be true to yourself and your personal beliefs.
Reply 74
Original post by Mo_maths

What about the men in Egypt who don't seem to respect the hijab and what it means and still insist amungst the violence to rape and assault women. There was an article in the guardian about a woman in a niquab (burka) who was gang raped while she was out with her husband.

Not only did they disrespect her but her marriage. Yet she wasn't dressed like a common prostitute, she wasn't enticing these men with her feminine wiles - she was just walking with her husband.

These weren't men they were dogs (which is an insult to dogs), they behaved like animals with no morality, so how do you expect them to understand the morals it stands for if they have no morals.

Wearing the hijab can't protect from such vile creatures of the world, if it did this poor woman would not have gone through what she did!
Reply 75
You can wear it when leaving home and then take it off when you're reasonably safe distance away maybe?
Original post by pss_med13

I actually find it very sad that women in Islam actually buy into this nonsense, celebrating their own enslavement. Apart from anything else, wearing a Hijab in a British summer is jolly uncomfortable.

I presume this is to do with maintaining an Islamic identity in a country where you are surrounded by non-believers, but surely you can find ways to do that which don't involve dressing up to hide your identity and advertising yourselves in the street as the insignificant, hidden property of men?
Reply 77
UPDATE:

It will always be hard when you're trying to change who you are but its more important now to stick to doing what makes you happy because in the long run you'll be happier for it! Good luck and keep it up! :biggrin:
Reply 78
Original post by randomd_love
What about the men in Egypt who don't seem to respect the hijab and what it means and still insist amungst the violence to rape and assault women. There was an article in the guardian about a woman in a niquab (burka) who was gang raped while she was out with her husband.

Not only did they disrespect her but her marriage. Yet she wasn't dressed like a common prostitute, she wasn't enticing these men with her feminine wiles - she was just walking with her husband.

These weren't men they were dogs (which is an insult to dogs), they behaved like animals with no morality, so how do you expect them to understand the morals it stands for if they have no morals.

Wearing the hijab can't protect from such vile creatures of the world, if it did this poor woman would not have gone through what she did!

This can be compared to the old man who lived till 115 and smoked 30 cigarettes a day, under your logic cigarettes do not affect life expectancy.
Reply 79
Original post by Hypocrism
The difference is that nobody "expects" women to dress like that. They're free to dress like that or cover up with a hijab, on altering days, whatever they feel like. Enforcing hijab however takes away liberty.

No one is enforcing anything. Islam is a religion based on love and compassion, which calls for peace and fosters a life in absolute sincerity and honesty before Allah. Therefore it is vitally important for the one to live by the religion of Islam to be a Muslim with his own will and aspiration and observe Allah’s commands and advise from heart and soul through personal conscientious contentment.

There is no compulsion where the religion is concerned. Right guidance has become clearly distinct from error. Anyone who rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped the Firmest Handhold, which will never give way. Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing. (Surat al-Baqara, 256)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending