The Student Room Group

I no longer want to wear the hijab.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by DarkParadise

Ever since then, I can't bear the thought of sharing this with someone else.

Tell us the doubts you have, Im sure I can help you with them.
And I promise I wont laugh or anything, I'll help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by Mo_maths
Often labeled as oppressive, many fail to realize that the Hijab truly empowers every female with the ability to control how she is treated and respected in society
Except it doesn't control that any more than wearing heels empowers females to control how she is treated, or a miniskirt, or a onesie, or a business suit. Every style and item of clothing "controls how you are treated". The hijab does not wield some magic power of respect. It merely means people will regard you as religious and judge you accordingly. Note, this does not necessarily equal greater "respect", especially in western society.

her safety,

Aha. No, no it doesn't. There is no benefit of safety to wearing a scarf on your head, unfortunately, or we'd all be doing it.

and who deserves to see her beauty, all while making a statement against female exploitation. A woman who observes the Hijab is freeing herself of society's immoral and disrespectful expectations of her. A female who conceals her beauty has granted herself the power to say to the world "You know what? Everything about me besides my beauty should matter to you."

Except you've just emphasised and moralised beauty. Instead of being an extra part of your personhood, you've elevated it to the status of having "dignity" and "purity". You're saying to the world that my beauty is so important I must protect it at all costs. Hardly taking the emphasis off the physical.

If wearing miniskirts, low-cut tops, head- turning heels, and layers of makeup in public is the expectation without which a woman in incapable of stepping outside her house, then we have two very different definitions of liberty and self-respect.

In what realm is a woman incapable of stepping outside her house without wearing that?! I've managed rather well!
Does she get shamed by her community or stoned or something?! Wait, I'm getting my cultures mixed up.

All human beings demand respect, and why should we women be treated as mere objects valued or devalued for our beauty or the lack thereof? Why should we let all random and strange men (whether we are friends with them or not) be the judges of our attractiveness? Shouldn't we preserve ourselves for only those who deserve us?

Then, I suppose, these must be the freest women in the world!

You can't see them at all, so they are totally "free" and can't be "judged of their attractiveness". Err...no. They're dehumanised. They barely resemble human beings. And you say that you don't want to be an object? No, the headscarf itself isn't this extreme, but the principles you've just described, if you really believed them, would imply that the burqa is ultimate freedom (headscarf being somewhere on the way towards).

And that is why Muslim women observe the Hijab.

*how you rationalise it backwards after being told to do it by centuries of men trying to subjugate women.
Reply 102
^ I'll put this as nicely as possible. The Niqab isn't compulsory, and it's never a good idea to use a 'Muslim' country as a case study.
A British man came to Sheikh and asked:

Why is it not permissible in Islam for women to shake hands with a man?
The Sheikh said:
Can you shake hands with Queen Elizabeth?
British man said:
Of course no, there are only certain people who can shake hands with Queen Elizabeth.
Sheikh replied:
Our women are queens and queens do not shake hands with strange men.

Then the British man asked the Sheikh:

Why do your girls cover up their body and hair?
The Sheikh smiled and got two sweets, he opened the first one and kept the other one closed. He threw them both on the dusty floor and asked the British:
If I ask you to take one of the sweets which one will you choose?
The British replied:
The covered one.
The Sheikh said:
That's how we treat and see our woman.
(edited 10 years ago)

The Sheikh said:
British man said:
Of course no, there are only certain people who can shake hands with Queen Elizabeth.
Sheikh replied:

The Sheikh smiled and got two sweets, he opened the first one and kept the other one closed. He threw them both on the dusty floor and asked the British:
The British replied:
The covered one.
The Sheikh said:

That assumes that a women is going to be devalued if she goes out without covering. Why is a woman devalued by going out without covering? Why isn't a man devalued by going out without covering?

Also I have no idea whether the Queen shakes people's hands or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105

The Sheikh said:
British man said:
Sheikh replied:

The British replied:
The covered one.
The Sheikh said:

I agree

The Sheikh said:
British man said:
Sheikh replied:

The British replied:
The covered one.
The Sheikh said:

But that doesn't explain why Muslim men don't cover up in the same way as to not spoil themselves.
Im a hijabi and it was my choice to wear the hijab. Wearing a hijab makes me feel more comfortable and makes me feel better. I also feel that im doing right as i am following the islamic way of dress. I also come from a kinda strict family. All i can say is its your choice to wear it or not, if u choose not to try and make your family understand why you dont. Im sure theyll understand. I pray it goes easy for u.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rothwell
So women who do not cover their hair are equivalent to dirty trash.

Right.

With logic like this, its obvious why your blinded from the truth.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
But that doesn't explain why Muslim men don't cover up in the same way as to not spoil themselves.

Men are not permitted to wear silk or gold in Islam nor are they allowed to wear shorts above the knee; hence, there is somewhat of a regulation when it comes to clothing; however, not as much covering as woman.
If you notice, rape occurrence in the Islamic world or in the Middle East in general is anywhere from 1-2% compared to Western countries; such coverings protect woman from such cruel acts committed by men such as not to tempt them. Woman are more sexually attractive beings than Men & God wanted to protect them from harm because men are not as strong when it comes to desires. Also, men are less likely to compare their wife to anyone or they don't say why isn't your body like so and so or why don't you cut your hair like that- they are less likely to cheat & compare & degrade woman by comparing so in essence it can be a positive thing and not negative!
I'm an 18 year old Somali who simply doesn't believe any more due to personal circumstances and researching more into religion and science.
Lately, I've been feeling like a hypocrite, walking around with a hijab on despite the change of my beliefs.
Two friends of mine have stopped wearing the hijab, but they're Bengali and their parents are less strict about covering up. I felt so envious of how much freedom they have.
I haven't told anyone that I no longer believe, as I'm too fearful of the consequences, but I know that I'm wearing the hijab for the wrong reasons. Religious friends have told me that they feel pride when wearing the hijab, but I feel nothing but frustration and anger at being restricted to show my hair. I fail to see why I can't show it - it's MY hair, I should be allowed to show it as much as I want, but it's not as easy as that.
The community I live in is very, very strict in terms of religion; I feel so emotionally isolated, and everyone seems to be so much happier than me.
The thing is, my whole family are devout Muslims who would surely kick me out if I dared to do such a thing.
This is genuinely getting me depressed; I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

I assume you're coming away from the religion mostly due to the pressures of your family; you shouldn't really let that affect your beliefs, it's your family that's in the wrong not the religion.
In terms of Islam, there's no compulsion in Islam but most Islamic cultures tend to undergo this pressure. I come from a similarly religious family but over the years they've loosened up a lot more; we've all stuck by the religion but accepted that society changes and me and my siblings have made our own decisions.

Anyway the decision is hard as you're around your family for so long; is it possible for you to wear your hijab when leaving the house but removing it when you you're out? That way everyone's happy, it's something I know alot of Muslim girls are doing to help them relieve the stress.
Religion changes with time and adapts with cultures; the old generation, however, are reluctant to follow this change but I pray things get easier for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Men are not permitted to wear silk or gold in Islam nor are they allowed to wear shorts above the knee; hence, there is somewhat of a regulation when it comes to clothing; however, not as much covering as woman.
If you notice, rape occurrence in the Islamic world or in the Middle East in general is anywhere from 1-2% compared to Western countries; such coverings protect woman from such cruel acts committed by men such as not to tempt them. Woman are more sexually attractive beings than Men & God wanted to protect them from harm because men are not as strong when it comes to desires. Also, men are less likely to compare their wife to anyone or they don't say why isn't your body like so and so or why don't you cut your hair like that- they are less likely to cheat & compare & degrade woman by comparing so in essence it can be a positive thing and not negative!

The wrapped sweet is a clever analogy, but I don't think you can really compare women to a sweet. One is an inanimate object, the other is a living, breathing, thinking human being, that has feelings. I can see your logic, in that covering one self can be a positive thing. It can also be a negative thing though, for example, women can feel pressured to do these things, and fear people will think less of them if they don't.
Reply 112
Original post by G D G
Take it off. Liberate yourself!

Edit: Why so many negs? :confused:

Because you're a prat

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're saying that some of the reasoning behind Islamic teachings lie in ridiculous, and quite frankly insulting, gender stereotypes?

Also there is no proof whatsoever that Islamic coverings prevent women from sexual assault not to mention the fact that men can also be the victims of such crimes.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm an 18 year old Somali who simply doesn't believe any more due to personal circumstances and researching more into religion and science.
Lately, I've been feeling like a hypocrite, walking around with a hijab on despite the change of my beliefs.
Two friends of mine have stopped wearing the hijab, but they're Bengali and their parents are less strict about covering up. I felt so envious of how much freedom they have.
I haven't told anyone that I no longer believe, as I'm too fearful of the consequences, but I know that I'm wearing the hijab for the wrong reasons. Religious friends have told me that they feel pride when wearing the hijab, but I feel nothing but frustration and anger at being restricted to show my hair. I fail to see why I can't show it - it's MY hair, I should be allowed to show it as much as I want, but it's not as easy as that.
The community I live in is very, very strict in terms of religion; I feel so emotionally isolated, and everyone seems to be so much happier than me.
The thing is, my whole family are devout Muslims who would surely kick me out if I dared to do such a thing.
This is genuinely getting me depressed; I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

Hey there OP! Fellow Somali over here!
I'd just like to start of with saying sad to hear about the way you feel, I know our community can sometimes be very narrow minded and see things as only black & white. But also, I know that the way they may go about the teachings of Islam is less about its positives and more about what you CAN'T do, hence feeling smothered. But that should surely give you more reason to look into the religion of Islam properly? I'd hate to think that your personal experience of Islam is to affect your whole belief. I can only urge you to look more into this.

I personally wouldn't advocate a person abandoning their beliefs at such a young age, but you need to take a step back for a moment and differentiate between whether it's the hijab you have a problem with or the religion as you seem to be equating having 'freedom' as not wearing a hijab which is not the case. You're essentially saying all the girls who wear a hijab are oppressed.

And there's no doubt about it, your family will disown you & all that jazz if you tell them you no longer want to be a Muslim. It's just the way it works in our community.

Sit down w. your Mum & have a chat with her about no longer wanting to wear the hijab. Present her with Hadiths & verses of the Quran that may work in your favour. Give her the whole, 'it's not right me wearing this because I'm doing it for people and not Allah'.

Best of luck with everything!

Signed: A non-hijabi

Edit: at no point in this post am I intending to imply that wearing a hijab equates to the female being oppressed. The way a female feels about the headscarf is personal to her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

The Sheikh said:
British man said:
Sheikh replied:

The British replied:
The covered one.
The Sheikh said:

ahahaha, what a bunch of bull****. no, this is how you treat your women:

"On Nov. 6th, 1990, about 20 Saudi women illegally drove the streets of Riyadh in protest of the ban on Saudi women drivers. The women were eventually surrounded by curious onlookers and stopped by traffic cops, who took them into custody. They were released after their male guardians signed statements that they would not drive again, but thousands of leaflets with their names and their husbands' names - with "whores" and "pimps" scrawled next to them - circulated around the city. The women were suspended from jobs, had their passports confiscated, and were told not to speak to the press. About a year after the protest, they returned to work and received their passports, but they were kept under surveillance and passed over for promotions" (http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1207/p06s02-wome.html)

"In July 2011 a woman from Jeddah was sentenced to ten lashes by whip for driving a car" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15079620)

"A Norwegian alleged rape victim is appealing her conviction and the sentence she received after according to Sharia law she participated in extramarital sex,” with her rapist. The appeal trial is scheduled for September 2013.
(http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/354800#ixzz2aFwBjErF)

^ this woman was imprisoned after reporting that she has been raped and you're telling me women are treated like queens over there? how come they can't drive, have access to proper education or engage in physical exercise or travel alone?

In the Qatif girl rape case, an 18-year old victim of kidnapping and gang rape was sentenced by a Saudi court to six months in prison and 200 lashes.

http://www.islamreview.com/articles/WOMEN_ARE_RESPONSIBLE.shtml#

your analogy is nothing but sharia propaganda

"Addressing 500 worshippers on the topic of adultery, Sheik al-Hilali added: "If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover, and the cats come and eat it..whose fault is it - the cats or the uncovered meat?

"The uncovered meat is the problem."

He went on: "If she was veiled and in her home no problem would have occurred."
Reply 117
Two friends of mine have stopped wearing the hijab, but they're Bengali aand also i always say that hop their parents are less strict about covering up. I felt so envious of how much freedom they have.
Hey i have been throughthe same thing when i was young i still fully belived in my religion but i felt like i was practicing my religion not for me or for god but in ear of my parents i decided to take off my hijab and made my dad who has never cried since the qge of ten cry he was so proud of me and i could not stqnd to seem him upset and not talk to me so i put my doubts on hold and put it back again when i turned 18 i left for uni without my parents consent and decided to strat my life from 0 so i tookn evrything off qnd slowly resercehd my religion and fell in love with it more than when i was young and slowly by itself i dtarted to wear the hijab agin but this time not for my parents or anyone i did rit for myself nad god through my own conviction
Thetrefore i thibk you just need to take ur time u r young and it is normal that u have doubts because parents can sometimes take over way too much perdonal and thinking space i hope i have ben of at least at little help but i thank you for letting me see that sometimes u r not alone in problems and that sometimes other people have the same problems and plase always remeber like i always say to everyone that HOPE IS THE LAST THING U LOSE
Reply 118

I like how you essentially blame uncovered women who've been raped or cheated on for "tempting" the men. Also loving the sound logic that Allah created women sexually attractive and men prone to temptation which supposedly leads to rape, rather than just making them both decently attractive and strong to resist. Nice one, Allah!

PS) protip the rape percentage when nobody thinks rape inside marriage is actually rape, women fear for their lives about reporting it and in many cases get lashed and punished for being raped, is not to be taken seriously. fyi xx
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aiko777
Hey i have been throughthe same thing when i was young i still fully belived in my religion but i felt like i was practicing my religion not for me or for god but in ear of my parents i decided to take off my hijab and made my dad who has never cried since the qge of ten cry he was so proud of me and i could not stqnd to seem him upset and not talk to me so i put my doubts on hold and put it back again when i turned 18 i left for uni without my parents consent and decided to strat my life from 0 so i tookn evrything off qnd slowly resercehd my religion and fell in love with it more than when i was young and slowly by itself i dtarted to wear the hijab agin but this time not for my parents or anyone i did rit for myself nad god through my own conviction
Thetrefore i thibk you just need to take ur time u r young and it is normal that u have doubts because parents can sometimes take over way too much perdonal and thinking space i hope i have ben of at least at little help but i thank you for letting me see that sometimes u r not alone in problems and that sometimes other people have the same problems and plase always remeber like i always say to everyone that HOPE IS THE LAST THING U LOSE

how did you even go to uni with that spelling?

why don't you tell us your "reserch" conclusions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending