The Student Room Group

Circumstances, can i get into uni?

I love mathematics and physics, I love science and I REALLY want to go to university to do something. I guess i like law also, but i am really determined to a degree in engineering.. For GCSE's i got okay grades.. 12A's and A*s, a couple of B's and one D. As per my A-levels, they were terrible! My brother was paralysed just before I started 6th form, he was even blind at one point and he passed away a year and half later in December 2012. I do have a letter from the doctor etc. I got:

Maths : B
Further Maths : E
Physics : D

Urdu : C (doesn't really count tbh)

I am doing YINI ( year in industry ) at an amazing company for my gap year, here I am learning programming (C), how to make PCBs, programming PCB's onto different platforms etc.. played around with Arduino's a little bit...

But. I am thinking I stand no chance of getting into university with those grades? I am retaking this year though. I am not bad at physics or maths, i was just not having a good year and this year I think I'm back to my capabilities. Also, in class I was not too bad at maths or physics either, I just didn't spend much time revising for my exams. and I am constantly using maths and physics at my gap year placement too! Its very interesting..

I would really appreciate some advice. I want to go to Southampton, Edinburgh is good too.. so's Bath and UCL. I like Aberdeen as a last resort.
Why not just contact the universities you are interested in? I think most of them take in consideration personal situations that you could not foresee happening, thus that affected your results. They might also take consideration for your work experience and etc.

Best thing to do is just phone or email them to explore your options to be honest.
Even with 'extenuating circumstances' its unlikely that any sensible Uni will take you with those low grades. This isnt a near miss, that might indicate you had potential but just lacked the necessary edge to get the grades required, this is a disaster. Sorry if that sounds brutal - it isnt meant to - but you do have to look at it from the University's point of view, ie. where is there any evidence of any actual ability?

Unless you are prepared to look at Foundation courses then you do have to think seriously about either retakes or something like an OU unit to give the Unis some indication of your academic potential. I suggest you contact some of the Unis you'd like to apply to, explain (very briefly) the background to your results, and ask if they would consider your application with your current grades. If not, what would they like to see as 'evidence of academic potential/suitability for the demands of the course' etc? You could self-study an A level or two while you are on your Gap Year, and be starting Uni this time next year.
The minimum entry requirements for any university in England that offers an accredited BEng degree is CCC at A-level. You can get around that by applying to Scottish universities but although their offers to A-level students are usually lower you're still extremely unlikely to get an offer with those grades.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Even with 'extenuating circumstances' its unlikely that any sensible Uni will take you with those low grades. This isnt a near miss, that might indicate you had potential but just lacked the necessary edge to get the grades required, this is a disaster. Sorry if that sounds brutal - it isnt meant to - but you do have to look at it from the University's point of view, ie. where is there any evidence of any actual ability?

Unless you are prepared to look at Foundation courses then you do have to think seriously about either retakes or something like an OU unit to give the Unis some indication of your academic potential. I suggest you contact some of the Unis you'd like to apply to, explain (very briefly) the background to your results, and ask if they would consider your application with your current grades. If not, what would they like to see as 'evidence of academic potential/suitability for the demands of the course' etc? You could self-study an A level or two while you are on your Gap Year, and be starting Uni this time next year.

Thank you. I am re-sitting all of my exams, I missed an A by 2 UMS for Mathematics. I even got A's for my mocks for both Maths, and Further Maths. My school wouldn't predict me more than B/C's which is quite annoying. I really don't see myself doing anything other than Electronics Engineering. Maybe I could persuade universities to examine me on my mathematical potential? Or wait till I get my results from resits and apply to clearing... Which is SO risky.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant

And if I do apply to a foundation course, what are the chances of me getting in? If my resits go well and I get good enough grades, and I get into the foundation course- What are the chances of the university letting me go straight onto the course? I am learning a lot of electronics at my placement, and I am also having to use my further maths when working with circuits. I have already starting building my own schematic (which is what they do in the second year). I just don't know how I can persuade a university into letting me in!
All you can do is email the Uni's Admissions Office, explain your background and ask if you should apply to both the Foundation course and the full degree, and how they would view such an application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending